Has Videogames Influenced You Musical Taste?

Discussion in 'Games' started by SamIchi, Mar 1, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think it has with mine. I have pretty eclectic tastes, but whenever I hear sounds reminiscent of videogames it really catches my ear. I'm not just talkin' genre specific either (chip music?) just certain electronic melodies. It has to be from the years and years of childhood videgame sessions. I didn't really take any musical interest until I was about 13-14, which I consider pretty late. What do you guys think?

Oh I was listenin to "Pwntendo by Venetian Snares" when I thought about this topic. Check them out if you like IDM.

2. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

No, but I guess videogames has influenced my grammar.

:D

3. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm does it read like a badly translated RPG?

4. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

yes they did
    total war series i started to hear folklore music from different part of the world, celtic, medieval, tsamikos, sitarki, arab, roman,taiko...
    also i started to hear trance for racing games

5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Now that's just way too many good :D

The only thing that slightly comes to mind is the original Sorgens Kammar being based on the theme from an Amiga game...

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Only Lucas Arts early graphic adventures. Games like The Dig and Monkey Island series really stand out in my Book. They're the only game music I have in my iTunes library.

<]=)

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

totally. i bought the soundtrack to halo 1 and 2. lets see any baseball game,basketball game,tony hawk and ssx have all made me want to get albums because of the songs on those games lol

tetrisphere on the n64 has an awesome soundtrack

8. BootstrapMetal macrumors member

Yes, but my musical tastes have also influenced my video game choices. :cool:

I have renteds ome games, because of the sound tracks too. I also tried Gears of War, because it seemed to be a pretty metal game. I bought it afterwards.

9. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

10. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

It's really interesting. I teach private composition lessons to a boy with asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) and all he listens to is video game music. It's incredible how much it has influenced his own music. He is a very talented musician (with perfect pitch and perfect tempo) and his compositions are very video game-like.

11. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

12. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Tony Hawk's series definitely did, as well as the occasional EA Sports title.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got some of the classics in my iTunes library (hold up, since when did something "classic" be less than 20 years old?). Anything by Koji Kondo... Metroids, Zeldas, Marios. At one stage I had the Pokemon Red/Blue soundtrack.
    Though I think more of is to do with nostalgia. And I get most of my inspiration for games when I'm on the bus, game music really helps set the mood.

But have they influenced what I listen too? Possibly. These days I only like music with melodies, something catchy that sticks in the mind. Sorta like the old game music I suppose.

EDIT: The first 2 Tony Hawks games introduced me to some good music, along with Dave Mirras (Social Distortion). Outside of Tony Hawks I don't play games with real music.

14. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Well I liked a lot of the music in SSX 3, but that's not necessarily videogame music. But it turned me on to Royksopp, Basement Jaxx, Ima Robot, and a few others that have become some of my favorite artists.

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Games haven't exactly influenced my taste, but they have helped me find more artists or songs that I like.

Notably, when driving around in GTA or Saints Row, I often hear songs I like and so track them down (read the manual in GTA, buy the song in a music store in Saints Row) and buy them in iTunes/eMusic.

16. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Hmm, I think everyone got the wrong idea. I'm not talkin' about the actual videogame soundtrack as being your preference, but other genres that incorporate the videogame sound... Does that make sense? Whatever, soundtracks are cool too, that wasn't what I was gettin' at though.

SSX
    Jet Grind Radio
    Castlevania

All have awesome soundtracks.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Any music...or sounds from the silent hill series are great. I never bothered with video games soundtrack until I became a Silent Hill fan.

Bless

18. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Very much so for me as well. The old music licensed for Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the music in the Star Wars games, and of course Madden's selections have all influenced my music libraries.

19. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Heaven or Hell? Let's Rock!

Guilty Gear. Nearly everything in that game is modelled on, named for, sounds like, or is based on some part of Rock history.

20. applekid macrumors 68020

- Love the remixes of old school Nintendo songs on Super Smash Bros. Melee.
    - Love the Metal Gear Solid 2 theme and the Metal Gear Solid 3 theme.
    - Love the Halo soundtrack. Might pick up both volumes for Halo 2 later.
    - Some of the SNES games had some beautiful music. I remember the DKC series and Kirby's Super Star had some enjoyable tracks for instrumental music.
    - When I like a classic song from either Guitar Heroes, I download it.

My latest favorite video game song is Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. Have yet to play it, but I heard the theme song for it (Calling to the Night) and fell in love with it.

Video games haven't influenced my musical tastes, per se, but I have added them to my iTunes library! :D

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Probably. I realy like music from the original Unreal Tournament (awwww :D ) and after hearing it maybe a half a year I started looking for similar music

22. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Yep, it certainly has. I tend to prefer melodic music without words to anything that plays on the radio these days. There is something so magical and imaginative about video game music, there really isn't anything else like it out there. I like anything from chip music to modern day video game soundtracks. I especially love the sound of MOD music, and music from scene artists.

Although it does piss me off the way companies are getting lazy and just pull a bunch of popular songs from popular artists and just slap it into their games without a second thought - EA, i'm looking at you. Sorry, but I don't consider the latest punk bands or rap album in NFL 200whatever to be "video game music".

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Early video game music (Yellow Magic Orchestra-style synth arrangements) always catch my ear. I hate the newer trend of over-serious orchestral music and awful butt-rock.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same here. All this orchestral stuff is just so overused. I think Metroid is the only epic game I've played that keeps melodies and makes up a totally unique soundtrack.

25. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I think i've been subconciously influenced by the music from Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2...some of those songs just keep popping up :)