Has Virtual PC 7 broke DOS gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by brap, Jan 24, 2005.

1. brap macrumors 68000

I fired up VPC7 today with my old Win98 CD, I fancied playing a few oldies and had lost my old HD image.

Well, it ain't happy no more. GTA, GTA London, Destruction Derby and Jazz Jackrabbit are all refusing to play, specifically because of video (I'm assuming - I either get graphic noise when it tries to start, or the emulation slows to a crawl).

Anyone else found this?

I'm quite disappointed, because Win2000 lacks the naive DOS support needed to play these games. Might go back to V6, if I still have it...

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Virtual PC killed windows completely. Don't bother wasting your time trying to play games on it. Even if they take absolutly no power to run.

4. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well even with out the native dos support it should be able to run it. You may have to manually tell it to run it in win98 or 98 campiblity mode but it should run it.

I now by windows 2000. Windows no longer runs on top of dos like it did in 95 and 98. Which is a huge reason for the stabilyt boost in 2000 was not running it on top of dos.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Doom for DOS runs fine for me. Graphics & sound. I am running IBM PC dos 7.

6. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

The audio doesn't get chance - as soon as the graphics start to render, the PC slows to a crawl. I mean, a frame every 10 seconds, if you're lucky.
    See, that's where you're wrong... I had the aforementioned games running fine and dandy under Virtual PC 6, 6.1. GTA London was especially fun. :(
    No, a whole bunch of games required the kind of low-level access to hardware which Windows NT-core systems prevent. Compatibility mode does very little, and nothing at all for the "xxxx is not a valid Win32 Application" error, a la bleem! and such.
    Thanks for the history lesson. I'd run Windows 2000 if there was Firewire networking. As it stands, I can only use XP on my real PC.
    Thanks, yeah, I had considered putting PC-DOS on. I just wanted a "nice" Windows GUI from which to launch my games. Perhaps that's the only answer. Sigh.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Back in the day when i used to play dos games... they'd get all funky because the resolution wasn't native. Set the res to the default game res and launch the game. Or if it loads into a window(non-native res), press alt+enter. Check the 'display settings' (XP... but maybe 98.. don't remember) of the app... make sure it knows it's a dos game. You may have to set it to 256 colors or something lame like that.

Other than that, i have no idea...

Edit: Try to launch the game from a dos prompt too.
    Start-> Run-> 'cmd' [OK] -> [alt+enter] -> 'cd c:\[game directory/path here]' [enter] -> 'gta' [enter]

just launch the executable from a dos window in full screen (both from emulated windows and from the Mac OS.) So you see nothing but the black screen and the path.

Edit2: You may wanna try also changing OSX's resolution to 256 colors... are these games 256 colors? i thought they were...

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

In Win98, it is "command" that you run. "cmd" is for Win2K and WinXP.

And I don't think you can change OS X's bit-pallet to 256-colors. Besides, that is something you can do in VPC anyways. Don't screw up your entire OS.

9. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

I'll give it a go, not tried that - although I have used batch files to no avail. BTW, The DOS prompt is 'cmd' only on Win NT - on '98 and below it's actually 'dosprmpt' ;)
    I've tried both gta8, and gta24 (fairly self-explanitory), neither of which I have any joy with. I also changed the emulated PC resolution to 800*600*8. I'll see if I can get hold of another disc, perhaps '95, perhaps it's a corrupt installation.

Thanks all, I'll give 'em a go, and if not, I'll see if I can dig up PC-DOS and Win95. Blech!

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

''command'' works for 2k/xp too. I haven't used 95/98 in years... and ''cmd'' was always shorter...

sorry about that :)

11. bux macrumors regular

If dos gaming is something for you, maybe you should have a look at dosbox and run your games from OS X?

You can find it here:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net

12. brap thread starter macrumors 68000

You, sir... totally kick ass. :D