Has your Mac ever saved or made your day?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by billyboy, May 18, 2003.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

For instance, the Sleep function recently saved my race day plans.

I put my PB to sleep just before I went training. All the time i was out on the road I had it fixed in my stupid mind that I had left home at 1.30. When I got in at 5, I was totally gutted, as 3 and a half hours put me about 1 hour off the pace in my schedule. With three weeks to go, there was no point carrying on, as trying to make up that sort of deficit in that short time is not possible.

But later on, waking my PB from sleep, thank you thank you, thankyou, the shut-down time showed first in the menu bar - 2.30.

Back on track and so the pain continues! And time to sort out the stop watch function on my bike computer.

2. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

My Mac makes my day, everyday!

Every minute I spend of my life, working on it, I realise that I've made a wise choice, for a trouble-free system. It makes me proud of owning, what I consider, a piece of techonology Art.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

maybe...but os x ruined my day more
    i got a kp today...and i forgot to save my work...three damned hours of work wasted...

4. vniow macrumors G4

I keep everything essential backed up on my iBook and its saved my ass more than a few times when Windows would screw up beyond repair...[​IMG]

5. bwawn macrumors member

Just curious, but...

Three hours working and never once the thought of saving your document came to mind?!

6. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Alarm clock :) Having your favourite iTunes playlist start your day is fantastic :)

7. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Sorry, but, thats your fault for not saving...Come on, that has to be on that back of your mind, ALWAYS!!!

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The frequency with which you save files or take backups depends on how compulsive you are and how valuable your data is to you. But it also depends on the perceived threat. I used to save much more frequently when I used Mac OS 7, 8, or 9 regularly. Now, under Mac OS X, I save less often simply because the O.S. so rarely crashes. Applications still crash, however, so obviously we should all be hitting that Command-S key.

Of course, Murphy's Law says that the more important the data, the more likely a crash (such as übergeek's kernel panic) is.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

when i am writing a document, I save about every other minute. I am just so used to the pc world :p which crashes without fail. I still save on my mac, just not every other minute.

My mac has saved my day many a time, however one recently was special :p I was burning a CD of music for a friend, and it was my last CD-R; I had no more money to buy new ones. I give it to him, he tries it out at my house on my PC, it doesnt read it. I pop it into my mac and it works. He wanted me to go like beg my parents for money to go buy new cd-r's. :D

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my Macs make my day every day :D

production design, graphic design, photography, music, internet b.s....I'd be lost without them... ;)

11. iGav macrumors G3

I agree with you there... i couldn't do what I do without my Mac... ;)

That said, in OS9 I've had Mac's crash on me right in the middle of presenting and pitching to clients.... and that's when the gift of the gab comes in... not that I'm implying that I'm a bullshi**er or anything.... :eek: :eek: ;) :p

12. gotohamish macrumors 65816

gotohamish

I know what you mean - the comfort and security you get from the hardware and OS is unrivalled.

As for my experiences, I'm ever thankful for my late father, not only for having the 1st consumer Macintosh 128k delivered in the UK, and for buying dozens of Macs since then, to him buying me my Powerbook G4 from which I managed to make enough money from at art College making website to fund my travels and my degree, but also for enabling me to do work at my leisure and level that enabled me to be more comfortable in my course, and graduate with the 1st Class Fine Art degree that i got last summer.

The skills I've learnt have enabled me to use a technology to be happy in my work - seemingly a rare thing in the big bad world.

13. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

My Mac has made and saved my day so many times that I have lost track of how many times it has blessed me.

Of note: I had a chemistry class and the book was not available on tape. It came with a CD copy of the book. My Mac read me the entire book. It read my notes to me in lab, and helped me compose my papers with out the use of a another person to check my work. I would not of passed, let alone aced, the class with out my iBook. My iBook gave me a level of autonomy that I didn’t have before.

It is the best computer I have ever owned!

14. Flickta macrumors 6502

My PB G4 helped me to pass two exams.

Story is too long, but the result was awsome!

15. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Re: Has your Mac ever saved or made your day?

... every single day since I have my tiBook!!!

vSpacken

16. billyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

billyboy

Thanks for sharing your eulogies.

I just had my day made again. Until an hour ago I had never gone to the trouble of finding out how to play .avi and other "strange" format movies, and my PC friend/mac hater has been taking great delight offering me disc after disc of movie, knowing he was going to be told lamely, "I dont thnk I can play it on my Mac."

Well, I just found MPlayerOSX and after a quick drag and drop I am watching a movie in one corner, a couple of browsers open, the soundtrack blasting away and not a fan in earshot.

I feel so content! Out of interest what can his PC do to give him a glowy feeling ie something that he can do that my wondermac cant, or better than the Mac?

17. 5thorseman macrumors newbie

Never really had my day saved by my mac, but it's definitely made it a few times. Using OS X makes me feel creative, so I decided to make a webite (mysite) which was really good fun, made my day. :)

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

my mac makes my day everyday, too!

safari, itunes, and ichat can really help make someone's day! ;) :D

19. janey macrumors 603

janey

hey i was multitasking hehe
    i'm really bad at it too...so i didn't save it *cries*
    nevertheless, i finished my project *phew*

20. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

now that my summer job forces me to use the deadly combination of windows and lotus EVERY DAY, coming back home to the iBook is a breath of cool, clean air. it just FEELS right. doing IT work definitely pays good money, but after so long with my Macs and nothing else i just felt so DIRTY using windows. the inconsistency in the UI is enough to drive me batty.

21. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Now you know my pain. :(

22. moose macrumors newbie

My Win 2k box at work self destructed in about as dramatic a fashion as possible by deleting 3 days of work and frying the motherboard.

Thankfully I had recently saved some of my work to the server. I told the IT guy I was going to bring in my 3 year old G4 running OS X from home. He just laughed, and deliverd the standard retort: you won't be able to hook into the network to get your files, you won't see the printers, you won't be able to work on your Office files, you won't be able to access web mail, and on and on...

Next day I hook up the computer and within 20 minutes I am back up and running, my Mac happily humming along making the scarred black chassis of the PC sitting next to it look all the more skeletal and impotent. :D

23. bidge macrumors 6502

you are such are legend, I hope the IT guy has been put in his place.

24. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Am I the only one who thinks of Jimmy Fallons character on SNL "your average company computer tech" when anyone mentions an IT story? I always laugh at them, it makes people look so stupid. Many people unfortunately have the erroneous mindset that macs are incapable of doing anything and that there are "pc-only" networks.

25. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

It hasn't really saved my day, but it lets me do things that pc notebooks couldn't fathom.

Like with my wireless modem, checking my email anywhere, surfing the web at coffee shops (Macrumors.com.. very cool :cool: ) making presentations on Keynote on the go, writing, etc.

And as I said before.. chicks dig 'em! (if I had a dime everytime I heard "it's so cute!" while looking at my lap;))