Hasta la Vista

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 22, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Hasta la Vista
    Description:: Why Windows rules the world

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 6502a

Can someone please explain the bold setences because I am confused. :confused:

Thank you.

3. macrumors 6502a

What??

This thing says that 10.4 has no fewer than 84 million lines of code and I distintly remember reading an article, not very long ago from a reputable source - not this we love MS crap, that 10.4 had somewhere b/w 25 and 30 million lines. Any help here and/or a link to a non-fan boy site???

BTW - I know plenty of people who use Windoze 2000 and they aren't about to upgrade to Vista - they hate their computers being so slow just to run the OS. And I do suppose that begs an important question. Why if Vista is basically 10.4 are the min system requirements absolutely insane compared to the 10.4 min requirements???

4. macrumors 6502a

I think they are saying that if you look at, say, Linux it's not a friendly to the eye what with the UI not being user friendly. Basically - you're paying a good 200MB of RAM to go from the "simplicity of design" of Linux to go to the "simplicity of use" of M$. Of course that's making the assumption that Windoze is actually "easy" to use...

5. macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'll give you a hint—they don't mean anything. This boob has no idea what he's talking about. The hardware Windows runs on isn't any different than the hardware Linux or OS X run on these days. Windows "rules the world" because BACK IN THE DAY, Macs and UNIX systems resided on their own (more) esoteric hardware. Subsequently, Microsoft made shady deals and cheaped their way into the number one spot. Now they're number one because of existing massive investment in the platform on the part of businesses and familiarity on the part of home users—the Devil you know is better than the one you don't and all that rot.

6. macrumors 603

SkyBell

It is rediculous. "Windows rules the world." Close, but not yet. And it never will. There'll always be some programmer out there, making a new OS.
    They are just a bunch of fanboys.

Most of the people on this site don't hate Windows, they just don't like using it.
    Windows is just another pain in the glass. And like it or not, it's here to stay.

But geez, get your facts straight before you write an article.:mad:

7. macrumors 6502a

Oh wait

So I re-read the article and this is way way too funny. In the beginning of the article he says "..especially in its look and feel and ease of use, Vista out-Macs the Mac’s latest operating system—the Tiger version of OS X. However, that could change when Apple releases its Leopard version of OS X in spring."

So he's saying Vista is made to look like OS X and it's ease of use and in some areas, in his strangly distorted world, thinks Vista one ups OS X - for now anyway. Then later he describes Unix based OS's (Linux and OS X) as "But the real difference between Unix-like operating systems and Windows is their design philosophies. Windows may squander computing power through its clumsy architecture. But by favouring simplicity of use over simplicity of design.." Wait wait wait. So he's saying Vista is a minor enhancement of OS X but OS X favors "simplicity of design" over "simplicity of use"???? RRRiiiiggghhhtttt. Wouldn't that mean that Windoze itself has the same design philosophy as OS X? And thus the whole argument falls apart. Well that and all the typos... (organizing is spelled with a z by the way...)

8. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

A good example is the search function in XP. You are assisted by a cheerful animated dog character which hides the complexities from you (this is simplicity of use), despite the fact that the actual results of the search will be perplexingly useless (absence of simplicity of design).

HTH
    SL

9. macrumors regular

Kernel vs. user applications

He doesn't exactly what he's including in that count, but OS X comes with literally hundreds of programs that get installed with the OS, that are not actually part of it. He may be including those, as I suspect he is when he says that Linux distros are more than 200 million lines of code. These would be things such as apache, perl, ssh, ftp, sftp, etc. that all get installed along with OS X, but are actually developed and maintained outside of Apple.

Windows doesn't typically come with a lot of those types of programs. If you want an ftp server on your Windows PC, for example, you generally have to go buy or download one. On Linux and OS X, there's one already installed.

10. macrumors G4

skunk

That article makes no sense whatsoever.

However, since it's published in a British paper, I would expect organise to be spelled like that.

11. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

uhh what windows update version does this guy use? I don't remember microsofts patch cycle ever being that timely.

I wish I got good money to write articals and pull them out ass without getting the facts correct.

12. macrumors 6502a

Oh man, not the dog. I hate the dog. :D

But good explanation though. Now I know how Windows is easier to work with.

13. macrumors 601

DMann

Vista

A dilettante at best, knows not the facts. Well organised, almost....

14. macrumors newbie

almost sold

Almost makes you want to switch, huh? Except for that whole Windows thing!

15. macrumors 68020

someguy

No. I'm pretty sure that's all it is.

So... percentage-wise... how much of the malware written for XP runs in Vista? :p

What the hell does this even mean? If Microsoft was shooting for a product that could "out-Mac" Tiger (which they clearly were), then they didn't really do a very thorough job (they clearly didn't).

16. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The Economist is so weird this way... every once in a while, they publish some article that is almost somehow seeking to reduce the combined store of knowledge in the world on a particular topic. This article is just so silly... regardless of whether or not you like Vista or think it's a good thing.

17. macrumors regular

???

I'm software developer... i would be fired after one month for doing that.
    Do they actualy hired people to bug their code?

bozigle

18. macrumors member

Just Bad

Overall, a very poorly written article. Even if reading it was just for the entertainment value, there were so many plot holes and undeveloped ideas I became lost. And not in a good way.

19. macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Vista outMacs Tiger? At least Apple has been updating their operating system on a regular basis rather than promising the world and delivering nothing.

Also, I can't believe someone that writes that OS-X is somehow more difficult to use than Windows. Maybe he was referring to a command line interface on Knoppix or something.

20. macrumors 601

Unfortunately that is a correct statement in some cases, especially for a longtime Windows user. For example, the lack of a folder cut/paste in OS X is a real pain (sometimes drag-and-drop is just not convenient). And connecting to network shares is so much clumsier (and much less likely to work) in OS X. Despite these things, I love my Mac and would never go back (for home at least; at work I have no choice).

21. macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I agree. I have some friends who hate me for "making" them buy an iBook. They keep expecting to see a button with "start" written on it in the bottom left hand corner, expect to be able to copy using ctrl-c, and expect the Finder to behave exactly like Windows Explorer. Everyone has their niggles and I know I still have mine, two years on.

Whatever, there will always be those that fall into the "OS X is not Windows, therefore OSX is crap" category. Such a person wrote this article for The Economist.

22. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Eh? :confused: Please explain.

23. macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

only if the site is American...English english spelling is more archaic and illogical, whilst American is phonetic, nonetheless only one is English :rolleyes: :D

24. macrumors 68040

iW00t

Think of it by recalling the process involved when you install some Applications. With OSX sometimes you get a prompt to enter your password, with Windows you never get this prompt because Window's dumb design assumes everything is running with full privileges. It is little things like this which results in why PC users always telling me they find Mac "difficult to use".

25. macrumors 68020

Peterkro

In fact it is American that is archaic.Organise or organize are both correct in English it's just that the second has become archaic.