hastert *is* under investigation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 24, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At this rate, if we ever do impeach Bush, the only one left to replace him in the line of succession will be some Cabinet member. :rolleyes:

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So this is why he was so against the FBI raiding of Jefferson's office. Why am I not surprised.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, that's what abc reported yesterday. then as recently as today, hastert flatly denied any investigation. this piece is the followup of abc saying, "yeah, baby, you is."

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's about time they do a clean sweep of all these criminals.

Their party affiliation doesn't mean diddly squat as we can see from the
    bi-partisan protest.

Crooks and Liars party.

Hopefully what they are really doing is working their way up to the top.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, there's crooks in both the Republican and Democratic parties. I was disappointed to see Nancy Pelosi complaining about the raid on Jefferson's office. Believe me, Nancy, you don't want to take the Republican approach, which is to circle the wagons. You want the corrupt members of your party to be investigated, and congressional offices are not sacrosanct.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

hastert really seems to be going off the rails. is he that nervous, or does he have insider info on how the DOJ is conducting its business these days?

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think he's downright anxious that his office may be next on the list.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

my local abc news station is reporting that hastert is now threatening to sue ABC if they don't retract the story.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Pelosi has called for Jefferson to step down from his Ways and Means Committee assignment and she is in deep s**t from the CBC for doing so. The CBC members are outraged over her refusal to support the Congressman. She is hardly circling the wagons around Jefferson. Her whole strategy for 2006 is to deride the GOP for its "Culture of Corruption" and she is more than willing to throw Jefferson under the bus, rightly or wrongly, to accomplish that.

Me, I think the Congressman should do the right thing and resign from office and get his defense in order. Even if he is innocent he needs to help bring the focus back to the institutional corruption fostered by the Congressional GOP leadership. The only way to do that is for him to resign.

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

ABC's saying bring it!

"We will take any and all actions necessary to rectify the harm ABC has caused and to hold those at ABC responsible for their conduct," wrote Hastert's counsels, J. Randolph Evans and Stefan C. Passantino. The letter was addressed to network President David Westin and reporter Brian Ross.

"Our response to the letter is our reporting on the story," said ABC News Vice President Jeffrey Schneider.

Correspondent Brian Ross stood by his report, saying he has checked with his sources who say the story accurately represents the facts "as they know them."

"There's enough there for them (the FBI) to take a look at the speaker" and other members of Congress, Ross said in an interview.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060525...rxl3OOs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, that's much better than what I saw the other day, which was an article about how both she and Hastert complained that the FBI did not have the authority to raid congressmen's offices.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush orders FBI-Congress documents sealed

This could go in either the Jefferson or Hastert threads, but...

This is deeply troubling to me, for several reasons:

1. Knowing Bush, I take this to be merely the first step in covering up, i.e., obstructing justice.
    2. On what basis do Jefferson, Hastert and others consider this to be a "constitutional" issue?
    3. In line with (2), why shouldn't Congressional offices be subject to the same court-ordered search and seizure that any other place is? Unlike your own home, a Congressional office isn't even private property; it's public property.
    Washington Post link

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, funny how privacy is suddenly important when the privacy they're talking about is theirs, not someone else's.

And of course, it's the same when it's someone else's health care, someone else's pay raise, someone else's retirement plan. One set of values for the public's interest, and another set of values for their own interests.

That's what happens when you get the upper crust either running the country directly, or paying those who run it. We need more regular people in the mix... but of course you can't afford to run if you're not already in the category of taxpayers enjoying the real benefits of the Bush tax cuts.

15. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

has bush made a similar comment about investigations into any GOP politician?

16. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I just love this.

"Those who violate the law _ including a member of Congress _ should and will be held to account," Bush said. "This investigation will go forward and justice will be served."

( as long as I'm not implicated )

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Just that he can't comment about any ongoing investigations...

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hastert should be investigated, just another one of the many draft dodgers who have taken up residence in the republican party. No wonder this fat draft dodger was screaming. Its funny watching all these guys who avoided vietnam but got us in Iraq go down one at a time..Wish there was a way to impeach the whole republican party. Now these guys are suppose to be above the law??? Throw out all incumbants.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The fact that Gonzales, Mueller and McNulty have threatened to quit
    over Jefferson, Hastert an the Abramoff scandal should tell you that
    there's much more to this than one or two people going down.

These people are smart enough to know that while Bush and Company
    may go down over the next 2 years, they still a their own careers to
    consider.

Meanwhile this " cooling off period " will be used to dig up dirt on anyone
    that threatens the administration directly.

To me this is beginning to look like Checkmate for the Bush administration.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This whole thing seems strange to me. There's some thing going on behind the scenes that we don't know about yet. It's more than just a power struggle. Just seems fishy is all.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Whats fishy? they all are crooks. my guess is the ones buying off jefferson buy bush,hastert and others.