Haswell heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by calvol, Jun 28, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

2. macrumors member

i would not let this put anyone off.....i am have been on my macbook air for hours now and its sitting at 37 degrees the fans have not even been on and i have had it 2 weeks. this is not going to be an issue for the at least the normal user. Haswell runs cool and smooth with great power saving and is as fast as last years model if not faster at a lower clock, thats a great advancement. well done intel. :)

3. macrumors newbie

That's referring to desktop chips, which when tested at Anandtech, did run hotter than Ivy Bridge.

Mobile chips seem to run at lower clock speeds to get the same performance, consumer less power, so the heat thing doesn't seem to apply. As many on here have said, the i5 model seems to run quite cool.

4. macrumors 65816

5. macrumors 6502a

The article is correct, but it is referring to the Desktop chips. The chipset in the Air is the ULV version and it runs cooler than Ivy Bridge.

6. macrumors 6502

Which app do you use to monitor the temp? smcFanControl is showing 0 degrees all the time for my Haswell MBA.

Btw, the fan doesn't kick in when I'm viewing YouTube at 1080p. :eek: What surprises me coming from an old MBA is that, the fan even stays at the default 1200rpm according to smc (I don't know if it's accurate though).

7. macrumors member

its called Temperature Gauge

yes im surfing and the temp it 36c fan 1190rpm...thats totally silent. great machine.

8. macrumors 6502

Interesting, the 2012 MBA default fan speed is 2000 rpm.

9. macrumors member

Yes the new haswell default fan speed is 1200 prm.

Attached Files: