Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
My original plan is to order the maxed 2012 27" iMac, but then I realized that in less than 4 month from the iMac is shipped, next gen Intel CPU will be out. It's reported the Haswell will have 10-20% CPU performance improvement (under the same frequency), and even more for multithreading. I am now wondering if I should wait for the new CPU architecture......Any advise?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
My original plan is to order the maxed 2012 27" iMac, but then I realized that in less than 4 month from the iMac is shipped, next gen Intel CPU will be out. It's reported the Haswell will have 10-20% CPU performance improvement (under the same frequency), and even more for multithreading. I am now wondering if I should wait for the new CPU architecture......Any advise?

Based upon history, Intel's release of new chips has little to no effect on when Apple releases new hardware. I believe that Ivy Bridge came out in April, yet iMacs with it are just for sale now. Buy a new machine now if you want one and enjoy it.

I'll never wait for the next generation again due to the enormous frustration and disappointment of waiting so long. I was in your boat in February, but ended up waiting 10 months.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
It depends on whether you need a new computer now or can wait at least four (probably six) months and if you care about a relatively modest boost in performance. Also, if you look at Intel's roadmap, any processor is sure to be superseded in a year at most.

If you can wait, it might be worth seeing what the revamped Mac Pro looks like, because it will probably offer more expansion options. I have no idea when it'll be announced or ship, though.

I have a 27" iMac on the way and I'm completely comfortable that there will be something a bit faster eventually.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
Based upon history, Intel's release of new chips has little to no effect on when Apple releases new hardware. I believe that Ivy Bridge came out in April, yet iMacs with it are just for sale now. Buy a new machine now if you want one and enjoy it.

I'll never wait for the next generation again due to the enormous frustration and disappointment of waiting so long. I was in your boat in February, but ended up waiting 10 months.

But this time Apple will not change the design again, so no problem with manufacturing (hopefully). And based on history, Apple did release 2 generations of iMac in the same year, in 2009. If nothing goes wrong with Intel's new chip, it's not unreasonable to expect another silent upgrade in 2013.

Adam552

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2006
Liverpool, UK.
New parts will be out yes.
But a new iMac won't arrive for probably another 300+ days.

Will the GPU boost and slight CPU boost be worth it?

Is it worth waiting for? Depends if you don't think the current ones are powerful enough for your personal use. When the new ones come out.. will you ask the same questions? There could well be new parts around the corner again. You may find yourself in the same situation again except waited much longer.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
It depends on whether you need a new computer now or can wait at least four (probably six) months and if you care about a relatively modest boost in performance. Also, if you look at Intel's roadmap, any processor is sure to be superseded in a year at most.

If you can wait, it might be worth seeing what the revamped Mac Pro looks like, because it will probably offer more expansion options. I have no idea when it'll be announced or ship, though.

I have a 27" iMac on the way and I'm completely comfortable that there will be something a bit faster eventually.

Thanks, but I will not consider Mac Pro for sure. More than $2499 without a display...

----------

But a new iMac won't arrive for probably another 300+ days.

Will the GPU boost and slight CPU boost be worth it?

Is it worth waiting for? Depends if you don't think the current ones are powerful enough for your personal use. When the new ones come out.. will you ask the same questions? There could well be new parts around the corner again. You may find yourself in the same situation again except waited much longer.

But it's really make me sad if the new machine becomes obsolete only after a few months. Think about people who bought the "new" iPad (3rd) in September.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Thanks, but I will not consider Mac Pro for sure. More than $2499 without a display...

----------

But it's really make me sad if the new machine becomes obsolete only after a few months. Think about people who bought the "new" iPad (3rd) in September.

Apple has moved on issues like this before. In 2006, they came out with new iMacs in September sporting the then new Core 2 Duo about 8 months after the original Core Duo iMacs were released. I think this latest release was actually an aberration in timing caused by manufacturing issues wrt to the screen or the stir welding process. New iMacs will most likely appear within weeks of new GPUs and CPUs, IMO.

oaks42

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012

I agree with Adam... Simple do not chase after technology.. let it chase after you will a future advancement you NEED/MUST have.. Then you will have less of a dilemma and enjoy your buying process for the Mac! :D

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
I agree with Adam... Simple do not chase after technology.. let it chase after you will a future advancement you NEED/MUST have.. Then you will have less of a dilemma and enjoy your buying process for the Mac! :D

Yeah, you are absolutely right. But everybody is chasing after technology. Who really NEED/MUST have a retina display for email/web ? :D

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
But this time Apple will not change the design again, so no problem with manufacturing (hopefully). And based on history, Apple did release 2 generations of iMac in the same year, in 2009. If nothing goes wrong with Intel's new chip, it's not unreasonable to expect another silent upgrade in 2013.

I agree that it's not unreasonable, but you just never know. If you have an immediate need for a new computer, your current machine is frustrating to you, etc., buy a 2012 model. If you can stand to potentially wait a year or more for the update, don't. Just remember that hope is a powerful force, and can continually make you certain that an update is just around the corner.

Apple tends to operate outside of reason sometimes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It depends on what you have got now, and what you need it to do that it won't. I decided to take the plunge in February but was advised a new iMac would be out the following Tuesday and every Tuesday afterwards until FRIDAY November 30th when it finally came out!
Got it delivered yesterday and set if up today. It flies compared to my old PC. I would have to have a really good reason to wait to upgrade again. It was only because we barely used the thing (old PC) that it didn't just die on me. Don't look to intel to dictate the upgrade cycle of iMacs but apple, and I can't see them doing anything before this time next year at the earliest on the iMac range. I for one can recommend the 2012 because its awesome!

craigblues

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2012
I don't think I would ever wait for a new release. Especially now as they have only just released the new one now. As it will be at least 6 months if not longer.

I'm lucky enough that I decided a couple of weeks back that I needed a new one and just so happened it co-insided with the new release. (Didn't realise the new one had been released when I decided, Duh!)

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
I've been somewhat lucky that my mac purchases have coincided with NEW designs (not updates). My old Mac was the aluminum iMac that was introduced in late 2007 and replaced the very dated white iMac. In June, I bought my wife a retina MacBook pro, and now the new iMac for me. It's worked out well. In the future I hope to continue to buy on the cusp of new design releases.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012

Not really comparable to this situation. iPad 3 had a new screen and an underpowered CPU so of course there was a rush to fix it. Also mobile devices are evolving at a much greater rate than desktops and will be until they catch up in terms of overall power/capabilities so each new chip in mobile devices is a larger leap in overall performance such as the 5x to 6x as in the case of the ipad 3/4 allowing for double the performance. Unlike the iPad 3 the new iMacs have the same screen as previous models and the best technology in CPUs GPUs ram and hard drives as long as your willing to do BTO. The slight boost that will come in CPU power will be nowhere near double as in the ipad prob something closer to 20 percent making this years model of super fast machines anything but obsolete. If by obsolete you really mean not the newest, then your going to be really sad when you wait til haswell comes out, only to see a newer CPU / iMac come out the year after that. I agree with the other commenter about not chasing technology it's really not worth it for your stress levels.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Apple will release another iMac in 2013, it just depends when, When they released the late 2009 design in october of that year they refreshed again in July 2010, so it is likely going to happen again.

Firstly 1G of video ram will become standard sooner or later thats apple's way. New keyboard or mouse is due, slightly better screen and maybe fusion as standard on some models. Will happen within next 1-3 revisions.

If you can wait then wait if not buy the current model and be happy.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
It's funny how often these questions get asked.

If you're looking for RAW CPU power, that's been around on Intel CPU's for a few generations now. Other than that, you'll see new GPU's and that's about it.

If you're coo coo for retina, then maybe you should hold up, other than that, buy now. 27' iMacs aren't even shipping out till January, so it's hard to talk about new iMacs when the 2012's are barely pouring in.

JoeLegs

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Great Britain
Don't do it! I did it for the 2012 imac and it was one effing long year :( on the plus side, I have a 2012 imac waiting to be shipped :D

experimenthouse

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
Sydney, Australia

The 2012 iMac will not be obsolete for at least 3 years. Apple stop supporting hardware about 5-6 years after it comes out. The late 2006 iMac was still supported last time I checked.

If you buy now, you can get a good 3 years use, sell it, and invest in the latest model then. The myth that technology becomes obsolete just because it's superseded by improvements is just that — a myth. You'll get a good run out of the current (or even previous) model. If your current computer is meeting your needs, stick with it until you need to upgrade. If it isn't meeting your needs, buy the current model.

You could probably even buy the current model, recoup most of what you paid by selling it when the next upgrade comes out and purchase the new model.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I find this hilarious. You cannot even get the 2012 27" iMac yet... and there are discussions about waiting for the next version.

/Jim

BigMac25

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
I find this hilarious. You cannot even get the 2012 27" iMac yet... and there are discussions about waiting for the next version.

/Jim

+1 I was thinking the same thing and will enjoy the 2012 27" imac for 3-5 years

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Technology will ALWAYS improve so might as well get what you need instead of waiting for something that may not exist. You will never know when the world might end... It could be tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.