hatch wants to amend constitution to allow non-US-born to run for prez

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 6, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. JackStorm macrumors newbie

heh, equal opportunity for all, is all I have to say. So why the hell not. And 20 years seems somewhat reasonable.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

If we are going to amend the constitution I have a few more pressing needs to be addressed. Like getting rid of the f*****g electoral college! And yes, I think that should be its full name.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Something could probably be worked out in that regard if we could also get the amendment to say a president could be in office for no more than 2 consecutive terms instead of 2 terms total. Then lets run Bill Clinton against Arnold and see what happens.:p

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Once again, Orin Hatch gives me a serious case of the heebie-jeebies. I don't have any problem with amending the Constitution to allow foreign-born people to run for President, but Hatch takes the concept to its (for him) natural partisan conclusion, by making it about one of his own. For Hatch, it's always about the politics and never the principle. Sick.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

the less we mess with what our forfathers did the better. they new what they were doing leave it alone.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

"The Honorable Senator from Michigan has the floor."

"Thank you. Ladies and gentlemen, our Forefathers could never have predicted the extent to which instant communication and information availability would permeate our lives. The open access we have to information today is truly staggering, the ability to be informed unparalleled. It is precisely the lack of information opportunity for which the electoral college was designed to compensate. I think our Forefathers would agree that we have now cleared this hurdle. With that thought in mind, I would like to introduce the "Getting Rid of the F***ing Electoral College" constitutional amendment."

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

LOL, I love it zim! I do think to be realistic it would have to be a California senator introducing the resolution for the "Getting Rid of the F***ing Electoral College."

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

CA? sure! glad you liked. it was fun to write.

man, if i were an SNL writer, i'd push tina hard to get it in the show :)

10. meta-ghost macrumors regular

hear, hear - only white male landowners should vote...

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Might as well, the threat of a British turncoat getting elected does not seem as pressing a concern as it was in the 1780's.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yay Hatch :rolleyes:

Then we would have "Jerry Springer for President" bumper stickers.

Of course if he's going to ask Dr. Phil to be his running mate...

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This distrubs me because several factors indicate that this law is not written so as to give all or most immigrants the chance to be president, but one immigrant in particular.

It's bad enough when laws are aimed at helping one industry or group of people specifically.

Hatch is writing an amendment to our glorious Constitution for the benefit one single person!

14. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

20 years is an unreasonable period of time, but anyone who chose this nation of his own free will probably cares about it more than the average natural-born citizen.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Yeah, really. They're tested on a level of US history that 90% of American adults would fail miserably.

16. Pinto macrumors newbie

Yes indeed. you can choose your country, but not your parents.

Anyway, the US has always been the land of opportunity.