Hate me if you must...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DownSetDana, Mar 30, 2006.

1. DownSetDana macrumors newbie

I hate PC's really I do, but I'm having problems with the one I have right now. When I plug my PC in and i press the Power Button, all the fans spin slightly and the lights blink on, then nothing, then i have to reach in the back and switch the PSU switch from on to off, then to on again, and it does the same thing. I think its the PSU, please give me some suggestions.

2. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I think the best solution to fix it would be to get a Mac. I think it would really help your situation.:D

Sorry about your problem...

Edit: sorry compx, I was just trying to make light of the situation..wasn't being mean...added smile.

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I'm sorry, but I think that's a rather careless response. I don't hate PCs. I disklike them, and I prefer Macs. However, just because someone has a problem with a PC doesn't mean you just tell them to get a Mac.

EDIT: She ordered a Mac already, if you would look in her sig.

DownSetDana, it does sound like a bad power supply. Try contacting Dell to see what they will do about it, or just go and try to find a replacement power supply for your system. Check eBay for lower prices.

4. Timepass macrumors 65816

Well from what you are stating it sounds like you PSU is fine. It could be an issue with you mobo and something damaged in there.
    But first things first open up your case and make sure everything is plug in correctly. It could be as simple as one of the plugs of the PSU is loose and is causing the problem. that happen to be the case on my tower last month when it was acting all wierd and not powering up right (crashing/powering off at random moments) made it very clear it was a hardware issue. Open the case up and low and be hold the main power plug to my mobo was not plug in very well. Push it in and the rig boot up great.

If it is not the plug I going to guess the problems lies in the mobo. Good way to test parts of a computer is put known working parts on them and change one thing at a time. Right now your problem could easily be the PSU, CPU, Ram, Mobo, or graphic card. Any one of those parts could cause the problem. In order of likely from greatest to least is, Mobo, Graphic card, PSU, CPU and then ram. But before you replace things start testing them to make sure that is what it is if all possible.
    PSU is also an easy test. Take a working PSU and then plug in everything for the Mobo and then 1 hard drive. Dont bother with case fans you are not going to be running it long enough to matter (and besides the side of your case should be off no point to put hte side back on if you are only going to be testing some stuff and need to go in to plug everything else up any how after the test)

And like the person said about me. That pretty heartless and a prim example of one of the large problems mac community. It makes all of us look bad and stuck up.

Besides this problem is clearly a hardware issue not a software issue it being a mac WOULD NOT solve the problem mac are just as likely to have a problom like this and knowing how to id a hardware issue and knowing what piece of hardware is the cause of the problem is a good thing to know. And to top it off the rig looks like it is a custom build computer which means chances are the parts are of higher quility that what even goes into Apple computers.

Which bring me back to the first thing you need to do is check the plugs. Easy to have one not plug in correctly or one getting loose

5. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Good advice!
    I have done similiar experiments to test a system and it is helpful. I was lucky to have a similiar machine on hand to switch components out of- be careful and look for more advice on line... Also make a judegment call based on how important the computer is to you ( can you stand to mess around with it for a week? ) and your level of know how. Also- I'm happy to say - I have never had a problem similiar with my mac computers. (I've been very lucky) Good luck to you!

6. Queso macrumors G4

Might also be a logic board failure. If the BIOS is knackered, the fan controller will behave as you're describing.

7. DownSetDana thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot...I just ordered a PSU off of NewEgg for $30, hopefully this solves the problem. I was surprised though, because the PSU I had was top of the line, Antec NeoPower, and maybe it was a defect. IF this doesn't fix it, it has to be the mobo definitely, but hopefully its justs a quick swap of the power supplies. But thank you so much for the advice.:eek: And yes, I do plan on switching to the Mac, mainly cause I love OS X. Windows is starting to piss me off.:mad: