Hate to be anal but I just reformatted my MBA with a fresh OS X Lion.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kendo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Kendo, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

macrumors 65816

I am reinstalling GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto but can't seem to remember if they were on the Dock and what position they were under. Can someone please post a screenshot of the default locations for those 3 apps on the dock? They are in Launchpad but I want to put them in the Dock. Thanks.

Edit - Also where is it exactly in Launchpad? Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

Why in the world do you care?

3. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

I don't have the answers to your questions, but screen shots on reviews such as engadget's will probably have it.

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 6502

Anal to the extreme......

6. macrumors regular

Brandon0448

elbow deep

7. macrumors 68020

Maclver

Not really... I am the same way on my MBA, iPhone and iPad... Its not being Anal its having things in a orderly fashion the way they originally were.

8. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I am the same way. With every update, I keep my iPhone home screen to the default. Drives me insane when I go to use someone's phone and the app icons are all over the place and I have to hunt for them. :p

9. macrumors 6502

I'm the same way, people just don't understand.

10. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ball deep

11. macrumors 6502a

TheJing

If you didn't know where they were why do you care?

12. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    be nice people :D

they are on page 1 of launchpad - but you can go shift+command+A to open your Applications folder and then drag them to your Dock from there.

entirely up to you the way you customise Lion

13. macrumors 6502

X5-452

Wow.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this level of retentiveness. :D

14. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If anything, I get out of my way to undo whatever crap Apple puts in the dock. But if you wanted to be so anal about having a "store" like out of box experience, why didn't you just go at the source instead of asking ?

[​IMG]

15. macrumors regular

All these replies and only one answer. Launchpad is thing where the interface is iOS like. Do a 5 finger grabbing motion on the trackpad and use fingers to scroll between pages.

16. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    how to get apps from Launchpad into the Dock is to do the '5 finger grabbing motion on the trackpad' that you mention and then once the apps are wobbling, click and drag (normally) the app to the Dock.

yet going direct to Applications folder and dragging from there is infinitely easier, imho.

17. macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

If you did a clean reinstall of Lion, without restoring from a backup, then the dock apps should be in their default location. Then when you install iLife, the apps will also go into their default positions on the dock automatically.

18. macrumors 6502

This is why everybody thinks Mac users are a bunch of retards.

19. macrumors 68020

Maclver

Really? And your on a Mac forum for what reason?

20. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Because he owns a Mac probably ? Why else would he be on a Mac forum ?

----------

You didn't understand the OP at all. It's not that he wants to know how to get Apps into Launchpad, it's that he wants to know their exact position in Apple's default installed image.

So much for criticizing others about not answering the OP. :p

21. macrumors 65816

Troneas

perhaps the OP is not that retard after all maybe he wants to sell his machine and wants to do it properly with everything set up in the manner it came originally.

22. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps Apple spent millions of research dollars looking for subtle productivity gains depending on the order of icons. We should probably all leave them in the default order, just in case.

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

Wouldn't surprise me if they did. In fact, the order of the icons are probably considered more important than the exact amount of curvature on an iPhone.

I read a few weeks back about how Steve Jobs was so nutty, he called an exec at Google because the Google iPhone icon had a different blue than the one used in their website logo.

24. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

What about us folk that don't use any of the default apps though ? Studying how to arrange icons for "productivity" is pointless because no 2 users uses the same combination of apps to be productive with.

With the default dock, I would have no way of launching my applications besides spotlight or browsing down to /Application.

25. macrumors newbie

People love their 'new car smell' so it is not that unusual to want that 'new mac look'.