hating those $35 a week computer ads.

Discussion in 'Community' started by question fear, Feb 17, 2005.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

ok, so i just saw another one of those $35.00/week computer ads, and it just makes me scratch my head. if you pay those people 35.00/week for 52 weeks, you'll end up paying them $1820~...are you going to get a G5 for it????
    The ad just smacks of a rip-off, taking advantage of people who can't afford a computer now and getting them to overpay like crazy.
    Does anyone else get bothered by this ****?

2. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

That ain't cheap

Whats even funnier to me is that $35 a week X 4 weeks is $140 a month! Ouch. Just put the thing on a credit card and pay, what, maybe $30 a month. I love how some people thing something is affordable if they TELL you it's affordable. Like some car commercials that lease you something for "only" $520 a month.

3. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I said the exact same thing the other day when my friend and I saw that commercial. I wonder how many people actually call. Maybe the next time I see one of those ads, I will call and see what kind of system you get. I'll bet it is really good for that kind of money. Like a 1.4 gHz Celeron with 128 MB RAM and a 30 gig HD. Maybe even a 14" CRT if you are lucky.

What a rip off!

5. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its how you make money off of poor people. :)

6. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Bingo.

It's the same with the whole Rent-To-Own industry. You break down the payments really small, and make them pay forever, and you end up fooling poor people who can't afford to buy something outright to pay 2-3x as much over time.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's not just poor people that are targeted. This is aimed at poor people with bad or nonexistant credit who couldn't buy a computer with a simpler (and cheaper) method.

It looks to me as just another iteration of the idea that unless you pay cash, having a bad name will cost you more in the long term.

8. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Credit Card Companies do it because they are based in states with weak banking laws. Just like most US companies are registered in either Deleware or Nevada.

There really needs to be some major US Government regulation concering credit cards.

TEG

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

nothing is worse than when this is coupled with a dell advert, they give you some specs of a reasonable pc 3.2GHz P4 radeon 9600 512MB 17" lcd and it has the price in the corner in tiny text £1200 and then the next thing shown is a crappy dell which has the specs in tiney text 2.4GHz celery 128MB ram intel integrated **** and the price in big letters £399 so you think your getting to ok pc but your getting the **** pc for that price

11. mac-er macrumors 65816

Does PeoplePC still give PC's out for $29.95 a month? I know they do ISP stuff now for $9.95

12. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Although I would never fall for this deal, some of us, like myself, don't have a credit card to "put it on." I also suspect that their target market doesn't as well as it is difficult to get one when you have bad credit (although not imposible, if you are will to sell your soul, pay great sums up front, and/or have a very high interest rate. I personally dislike credit cards (I have a check card) as I have been bitten in the backside by them.

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Reminds me of eMachines. Are they still crappy? Back when I was a computer consultant I had to work on one; what a horrible experience. I wanted to throw it out the window then listen to the satisfying CRASH as it hit the ground. Problem: the customer's cat had pulled out the ethernet card :rolleyes:

Most people are looking for the cheapest bargain they can get, so this must be the perfect scam. They think they're getting a deal on a pc when they're really paying too much.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

???

Why would you want to do this? Credit cards charge a very high interest rate -- some over 20%!

Sushi

15. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you guys in the states pay less for most stuff than us here in britain, but my god you get shafted when it comes to credit card interest!

out of my credit cards only one is as high as 14%.. the others ebb around 8.5% - 11%..

20% and i'd never have one. not that i use the card and need to pay interest tho. pay off in full each month ;)

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Depends on your credit rating I suppose. I have /very/ low fixed interest on my credit card (lower even than my mortgage). Only catch with it is, if I miss a payment or if my credit rating drops by much, it'll skyrocket, so I have to be very careful about paying some of it off every month.

17. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

i understand disliking credit cards. still, even with bad credit, if you need a computer a better strategy is to take the 35.00/week, stick it in a jar somewhere, open it in three months and sit down with a best buy flyer. it might not be the world's greatest computer but you can own it outright in less time than the commercial, and without any credit risks.
    it's just so dirty, that someone sets out this trap without any redeeming value.

18. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

When will people learn that the best way to do this is to plan far in advance, and put the same amount that you would be paying monthly in the bank, or invest it into some kind of low-risk bonds. Before too long, presto, you'll have the money, and, with all the money there, in front of you, you can make a real decision as to whether you want to spend it all right then. Those pay over time programs offer only one benefit — you get the product right away. Is that really worth it though? I'm perfectly satisfied with my computer right now, but I can still say that in <2 years I will want a new one, so I will start saving now so that in the future, when It comes that I want a new one, I will have the money. Too many people in the world have no clue at all when it comes to managing their money, and that is why, sorry to be political, the tax break, and the proposed social security privatization are not good things. People in general, like small payments. (I can buy a ferrari for £1 a month for the next 10,000 years!) which is generally a system that companies like to use to make extra money. Gah. Everyone needs to take a real personal management course.

19. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I as said I would not fall for this "deal." It is not the way to go. My only "gripe," if you will, is the use of a credit card. DO not do it that way. Saving up for one is the way to go. If you need a computer now, see if you have a friend, or company with an older one lying around that you can use or have for the time being. Many "computer" people have extra computers, or parts that are lying around that they aren't using right now.

I would look elsewhare then this deal or credit cards!

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have 3 CCs and my highest APR is either 9% or 10%.

So, at least in my case, putting in on a CC isn't that bad of an option. Actually, it's how I typically finance my big purchases. I'll wait to get those locked low/no APR checks from my CC company and away I go.

Lethal

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have been rolling mine over for years, have zero % for over 5 yrs now. Most would be 7.99 - 8.99 if I kept them over a year. Lately we have been paying a few grand a month to make them go away ( wife stayed home to raise the kids, bootstraped our life till this fall - she got a good teaching job where all my kids go, life is getting good). But paying $2000+ per month every card in the world wants us now! Still have a year to go to finish them off. wife stayed home 8 yrs!

If you are paying over 12% you either have/had credit problems, or you need to dump them and roll it to another carefully chosen card- or call your card company and demand a lower rate.

with credit cards you must know what you are doing, or you will screw yourself. If you are desciplined then they can be a great tool, if not the tool will crush ya.