Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk is out... And freakin Awesome!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Durden, May 5, 2005.

1. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Dont know if there are any Chuck Palahniuk fans around these here parts, but just wanted to let you know his latest novel "Haunted" is out now. I picked it up at the local bookstore on my lunch break today and read about 70 pages of it. It is so freaking sweet so far.

Its about a get-away for writters, but when they actually get away, they find they are trapped. They each have a short story to tell while stranded. In between each short story, more of the main story is revealed. I had to finally make myself stop reading and head back to work.

The first short story is "Guts". You may have heard of it. People were passing out at Chuck's readings when he would read this particular short story. Pretty gross. If this book keeps up this pace, it will displace Fight Club as my favorite palahniuk book.

Anyone else reading Ghost?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah im a huge Chuck fan, im looking forward to picking it up tomorrow when i have a chance... Diary was awesome and so was Survivor, his Non-fiction work Stranger than Fiction was an awesome deviant from his usually stuff

thanks for reminind me about this...

3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I've got everyone of his books. Diary was good I thought but not his best work. Glad to hear that the new one is getting good reviews. I'll have to get it on Saturday.

4. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

huge Chuck fan!

Got my personalized copy of Haunted ordered at St. Helens...just waiting for it to arrive.

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've read that the short stories themselves are really good, but that the framing story is really weak. I was all set to buy this book until I read this comment from several reviewers.

I think I may wait until it's out in trade paperback. (I've already read "Guts"... it was published in a magazine, Playboy I think, a while back. Good stuff, but I don't understand how it could have made anyone pass out.)

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I ordered it today, I am trying to read about a book a week this summer and I've filled out the remainder of may ... or atleast after finals are over.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

that is an awesome goal, good luck with it, i wish i could do that, but my goal is to write a page a day of either and essay or a poem

8. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

9. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I've enjoyed Lullaby and Survivor. I've also got Invisible Monsters and Diary, but haven't read them yet. If I read too much of his stuff too fast, it'll just turn my own writing into a bad impersonation, so I take my time with Palahniuk.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you really enjoy him but want to check out something slightly different pick up Stranger than Fiction - its a collection of non-fiction essays that he wrote between novels, very interesting and if you like that check out David Sedaris :D

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Oh, I'm already a Sedaris fan. :)

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

then i definitely recommend that book by Chuck, and if you are a fan of the non-fiction stuff check out Robert Vivian's stuff, there are no words that can descirbe the way in which he writes

13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

You're going to make my reading pile grow even higher. Not that that's a bad thing.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm a writer and English major, of course i am going to advocate more and more reading.... i do hope you look up those books, they are definitely worth the time....and you should see how many books i go through a semester, its usually somewhere around 30 for a 16 week semester :eek: