Have 13" should I exchange for 11"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cecret, Jan 17, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    I have had the 13" (1.86, 4gb, 128gb) for a week and love it but think the screen res is a little more than I need. I talked to apple and I can exchange it if I want, but can't decide. I mostly use my computer at work where I use it in addition to my windows box for times I want to use osx, and for travel - I have an iMac at home for real osx work in addition to an iPad for couch surfing etc.

My current 13" will be my only portable computer so I can't decide between the larger screen, better battery and processor of the 13" or the portability and sexy form factor of the 11" - the price would be the same as I would get the 11" ultimate. Any thoughts?
  2. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    Well, i'm not really sure how anyone but you can answer your question. It's personal preference and I doubt you're going to get a consensus.
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Don't get the 11 inch, the 13 inch is 1440x900 over 13 inches.

the 11 inch is 1336x768 over 11 inches.

The resolution is smaller but in a smaller screen. Or larger in a larger screen.
    I would keep the 13 incher if I were you, better battery, larger screen, same thickness, more storage?, more processor.

You can always change the resolution if you wanted to.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Jan 5, 2010
    Southern Cali
  5. macrumors 68020

Mar 17, 2009
    I'd get the 11". Wide screen, smaller foot print, easier to carry, unique.
  6. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2009

the 11" is clearly the one to get unless you need the battery life. Sure the 13" is better but the macbook pro is better than the air so if you are getting a 13 you may as well get the pro
  7. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    If you're going to get the 11, might as well get the 13. See what I did there?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Jan 5, 2010
    Southern Cali
    ^I do, and i think its funny all the people who own the 11" say that the 13" air is like the 13" pro, so you should just get that instead...makes no sense. I will admit though, if i had the money for both, i would get them.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2010
    I also have the 11” and though sometimes screen real estate is an issue, the smaller form factor of the 11” is super ideal for me. The selling factor of the MBA for me was/is how small and compact it is.
  10. thread starter macrumors member

Mar 1, 2003
    Let me put it another way:
    Has anyone who owns the 13" regretted it and wished they had the 11" or visa versa?
  11. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2010
    I own the 11". I do often regret buying it instead of the ultimate 13". In fact I'd considered selling it and still am.

The 11" has a nice form factor. But it has its limits.
  12. macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2010
    ehh doesn't really work that way. The 11" can fit in my binder, in my gf's purse, and many other places where a 13" laptop can't. I can use it on a much smaller table/space, or have more paperwork/drawings along side a 11" than a 13" on the same table.

On the other hand, the only difference between the 13" mba and 13" mbp is the weight.
  13. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    And the size (thickness) which create enough separation between the products that they aren't exactly interchangeable as was implied.
  14. macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2011
  15. macrumors 6502

Dec 31, 2010
    The 11" & 13" are exactly the same form factor. Differentiated only by size.

I find women sexy, Apple computers? Oh please!

A cold inanimate object is sexy? Simply sad. Or desperate.
  16. MacQuest, Jan 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2003
    You See Dead People...
    Just wait 10 more hours for the new announcement.

Think about it. It'll be 9am PST on Tuesday morning and the same day that Apple will report quarterly earnings only a few hours later [1:30 PST].

I saw leaked pix of a new 9" and 15" MBA [with discrete NVIDIA Optimus graphics & Core i3 Sandy Bridge!!!] taken inside an elevator...

:eek: ... :p ... ;)

[I know, I know... NVIDIA Optimus is NOT discrete graphics and Core i3 Sandy Bridge has not been announced yet]
  17. macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2010
    I have the 13" and have never wished I'd bought the 11". This is my primary machine and the screen resolution and size is perfect for what I needed. I'd have probably found the 11" too small.
  18. macrumors 68020

Oct 16, 2007
    United States of America
    The 11" has a 16x9 display which I believe would change the form-factor..
  19. macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2003
    Well said.

And true to form, as you predicted, almost 20 posts later a series of 'get the 11 inch', 'no, keep the 13', 'no the 11 inch is better', 'wrong, the 13 inch rules'.

Honestly, we should all just boycott these 'which macbook air should I get' threads. A full grown adult can look at the spec sheets and decide which one they PREFER.

I almost think people post these questions so they can see us all bicker back and forth for their amusement. So pointless.
  20. macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2008
    These threads are not started by 'full grown adults' regardless of their chronological age. They are started by people who can't decide what color socks to put on in the morning which is why their mother lays their clothes out for them. If their mom knew about technology, they wouldn't have to post.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 20, 2004
    Roswell, GA
    Haven't missed my 13" Pro

I haven't missed the 13" MBPro, and I only got that a couple of months before the 11.6". The Air is neat, little laptop! I recently took it and the iPad to Germany, but I never took the iPad out: I did have to write a paper while I was there for school, and didn't feel that the iPad was adequate, but once I'm out of school this quarter, I may revisit that. I have not needed the DVD burner at all; just seems too clunky. I understand how Apple may become the daring pioneer and get rid of optical medial altogether. I know what a lot of you may say, but it's inevitable that it'll happen.

I do like the idea of backing up stuff on DVD, but even then the copy may fail after a few years. I'll take my chances with hard drive backups.
  22. macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2010
    MikePA - if you gonna post at least give an opinion relevant to the question in addition to the banter.

I say get the 11 inch - if you have a computer for work at work and a computer for work at home then get the 11 if portability is your main concern. I don't know how often you are using a portable where you don't have a power source so battery life is up to you. I have 17in MBP, 13 in macbook and 11 inch MBA. The diff between the screen on 13 macbook and 11 MBA is surprisingly not to bad (worth it for my needs) My vision is 20-20. I am not sure what your eye sight is like so once again... your decision.

My mom makes sure that all my socks are the same color and neatly wrapped into ball for storage so I have one less choice to make in the morning :eek:

And everyone knows smart people find the right clothes and stick with it :apple:
  23. macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2009
    I had the 13" air and returned it for the 13" pro...very glad I did the air had no advantage other than slight differance in weight and thickness...the pro is pretty thin as it is. Had the 11" had better battery life I would have gotten that...still probobly would have returned that too because I really make use of the backlit keyboard when computing in bed
  24. macrumors member

Aug 14, 2010
    One reason to seriously consider the 11.6" is if you fly a lot and will use it on airplane tray tables. My 11" is the perfect size for that. I find it the better size for needing to use it while actually traveling (in an airport restaurant, lounge or gate; on a plane; in a hotel lobby/bar). If I were only using it in stationary, dedicated places then I don't think the size would matter as much to me and I'm not sure I'd be second guessing my decision. They're both great machines, and I sure would love an SD card slot! :)

But for the record and since you asked, I have never regretted the smaller size.
  25. macrumors 68020

Jun 17, 2009
    Chicago, IL area
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Go for it! I love my 11" MBA and you will love yours!