Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
So, who's got a Christmas Tree? Real or artificial ("realistic" plastic, or pink aluminum)? Small, regular, or movie-theater "Big is More" size? Why?

Just being nosy. Or avoiding chores. Or both...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Don't care much for Christmas threes, but if I were to get one it had to be real. Plastic just don't cut it, it's just wrong on so many levels...

When I want some Christmas decoration I prefer just a simple little holly bouquet or something. Much nicer than dragging a whole friggin' three into the house. You know, there's a reason most threes grow outside... :p

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
The woman and I have a fake plastic tree (and a green plastic watering can) purchased from KMart a few years back. It fits in the apartment, and serves us well enough. It's just horrid and kitschy enough to match our Christmas spirit.

tree.jpg

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Gotta be the real deal. Favorite, Blue Spruce. It's both a look and a smell thing.

Attachments

• 49_3.gif
    49_3.gif
    31 KB · Views: 76

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
If I celebrated Christmas I would definitely get a real tree. I love the smell when I go to my christian friends houses during christmas time.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I grew up my entire life with a fake tree. Always thought it was stupid. When I began getting my own tree I went in the complete opposite direction. Not only do I get a real tree now, but I got to 'cut your own' place to pick it out.

It's much more fun walking through a field and pick out the 'perfect' tree (especially if it's snowing out) than it is to pull the tree out of the basement and put it together.

xsedrinam - I agree with you - Blue spruce is the way to go!

Here is a picture from a few years ago (yes, that's a santa hat on top of the tree):

Attachments

• screenshot.jpeg
    screenshot.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 71

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
My parents have always had a really nice fake one - my mom always decorates it amazingly. :)

As for us, we had a little 9' Christmas tree for our apartment, which was a good size - nothing special, but nice. Now that we're moving into our own house though, we'll be shopping around during Boxing Day sales for good deals on bigger, cooler Xmas trees for our house for next year. :cool:

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
~Shard~ said:
My parents have always had a really nice fake one - my mom always decorates it amazingly. :)

As for us, we had a little 9' Christmas tree for our apartment, which was a good size - nothing special, but nice. Now that we're moving into our own house though, we'll be shopping around during Boxing Day sales for good deals on bigger, cooler Xmas trees for our house for next year. :cool:

9 feet isn't little - How much bigger are you going?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
m-dogg said:
9 feet isn't little - How much bigger are you going?

Well, we have vaulted ceilings in our new home, and our old one wasn't very wide, or "full" when it came to the branches, etc. I'd like a fuller, taller, cooler tree - perhaps even one of those funky fiber optic trees! :eek: ;)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
m-dogg said:
It's much more fun walking through a field and pick out the 'perfect' tree (especially if it's snowing out) than it is to pull the tree out of the basement and put it together.

Very true. It was perfect on Saturday to pick out our tree. It was snowing, and the kids were given hot apple cider that was cooking over the wood burning stove in the barn. We walked the field until we found the perfect tree. I think it is a blue spruce, but I'm not quite sure.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
I have never had a fake one. I would just seem weird now to have a fake one.

I like the way they smell...
I would post pics like all you cool people with cameras but i dont have one:(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Onizuka said:
Fake. To hell with the pine stench and sap and needles everywhere.

Same here. Just need to vacuum up the bits of aluminium that drop on the floor afterwards :p

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
At my parents house we have three christmas trees, and yes all of them are fake. My parents, and everyone in our family, have the same idea that cutting down [or killing] a tree to have in your house for a couple of weeks is ridiculous.

But yeah, three trees all fake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.