Have a G3 iBook 366, question >>>

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jesse2k8, Jun 30, 2003.

1. jesse2k8 macrumors newbie

I was just given this thing, (my first Mac), and I was wondering if i would be able to install Jaguar on it? I'm guessing I need to install more RAM, (it currently has 64mb, ack!). Any help would greatly be appreciated....thanks.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Re: Have a G3 iBook 366, question >>>

if you boot the ram up to 320mb it should be ok. I have heard that you can throw in a 512mb ram stick and it will recognize it.

3. jesse2k8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I've seen that too, but I have yet to find a 512 stick that would work with it??

4. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

My mom has an older ibook 300 with 320 mB of ram in it and it runs Jaguar fine. As long as you are not doing processor intense stuff it should be a solid computer:)

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

hmmm.

try and find the ram type for your 'book. like pc100 so-dimm sdram, etc. then just find a 512 stick of that variety. it should work :)

NOTE: I AM MAKING A CONJECTURE. I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY DONE THIS. NO LIABILITY.

:)

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have heard 10.2 runs faster than 10.1 on older macs such as this one

my rev a. ibook, a blueberry 300, is quite happy with os 9 and i won't go full on os x until i get a replacement mac with at least 512 mb of ram and preferably a G4 processor

yes, the G5 looks hip, but for my needs right now, i would cool with any G4 powered mac...conceivably from now and through three years

but if pressed for funds, a combo drive ibook 900 with 640 mb of ram should do the trick:D

7. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

10.2 does run better on it than 10.1 did and I turned off the animated dock and genie effects to kinda give it a speed boost. Has any one else notice the difference in optimazation speeds between the G3 and G4 I have a dual 450 G4 and my wife has a G3 500 ibook and The power mac screams thru the optimization part of the updates while the ibook lags behind