Have a Great Party

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Will Curran, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

In the future I want to have alot of parties at my house/where ever. Well, I will have a powerbook, in the future whether its by christmas or end of school year. Do you have any recommendations of software to buy, or to look at to have a great party.

The idea is that I will have all my music on my powerbook, and I will have it set up to speakers (need suggestions for that) and have lighting with it. Well is there any software I can use to control things like lighting? Also do you recommend setting it up to a home stereo or get a mixer, and hook it up to a concert like set up?

Also I'm thinking about getting a projector and having that show visuals on a big wall to music, how can I do that, while I can still choose the next songs coming up?

I'll be playing trance/house (techno). If you have any ideas.. I mean any even if it isn't computer related please tell.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mac to speakers is an Airport Express job (or at least to 1 set of speakers). Most of the music should be OK in iTunes.

Suggest you set up your playlist beforehand and then stick the PB (while on) in a cupboard to avoid damage (if it's that good a party, you won't want it out). If your phone/PDA has bluetooth, you'll be able to use Sailing Clicker to see what's next and move forward or backwards in the playlist.

No idea on lighting but if you want to use a projector, you could just project the iTunes visualiser onto a wall - it'll also show people what the current track is. But that means your PB is more likely to be out in the open.

3. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

Ok cool, thats one idea, now that I think about it, I wouldn't want my pb in the open. I'm also thinking about doing a raised DJ stage kind of idea, hmm choices. Cool thanks for the sailing clicking idea, but I have a iPaq 2215, so I don't know if it'll work since it's made for Palms.. Never thought about that tough.

Also does anyone know where I could look at stuff like mixers and/or dj equipment? (online)

4. applekid macrumors 68020

PSSL for mixers and lights and everything a DJ needs.

5. Will Curran thread starter macrumors regular

Will Curran

6. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

dude...just navigate over to hampsterdance and crank up the volume.
    best
    party
    ever

7. applekid macrumors 68020

Yep. If you got someone with turntables and a good DJ, invite them over. I hear FinalScratch is great for turntabilists that like their vinyl and still some expensive fun for amateurs.

Just a side note: Once I have the cash to buy some turntables and a mixer, I'd like to buy FS as well and make my own beats with GarageBand to create an ideal DJ setup.