Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Just found this...

It is marketed as 'Get Mac Style at PC Price' :rolleyes:

what do you think..

aussie_geek

Attachments

• yuk.jpg
    yuk.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 610

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
It looks horrible. It always amazed me how so many companies try to copy the G5 design and make it look so bad. You would think someone would just make the same exact one.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
While I must admit this doesn't look as sleek and minimalist as the actual Power Mac G5, it is not that bad. I would really like to do an experiment. If I were Apple I would design an ugly computer... I'm talking really ugly - scary looking! I would release the fugly computer with the Apple branding. I would also design the most beautiful computer ever imagined and release it under some PC manufacturer's brand name. Then, I would watch as the loyalists praised the ugly computer and made fun of the beautiful one. Oh, it would provide so many laughs. Beauty seems to be dependent upon what logo is on the box.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
feakbeak said:
While I must admit this doesn't look as sleek and minimalist as the actual Power Mac G5, it is not that bad. I would really like to do an experiment. If I were Apple I would design an ugly computer... I'm talking really ugly - scary looking! I would release the fugly computer with the Apple branding. I would also design the most beautiful computer ever imagined and release it under some PC manufacturer's brand name. Then, I would watch as the loyalists praised the ugly computer and made fun of the beautiful one. Oh, it would provice so many laughs. Beauty seems to be dependent upon what logo is on the box.
hmm...

Attachments

• yuk.png
    yuk.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 05imac_fam.png
    05imac_fam.png
    45 KB · Views: 201

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
What website sells that? A lot of people would buy one (it sure beats those ugly beige boxes and the ones with plastic windows cut-outs and neon lights).

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
If it were built in a garage by a computer-crafting Dr. Frankenstein, it might be forgivable. For a "mass-market" product, I gotta say, "blech!"

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I actually posted a rant about that very case in Harmony Central's Mac forum...It still makes me gag... :( ;)

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
People, come on. It might not look as clean as an actual G5 case, but it's still a lot better than the usual beige or sci-fi cases.

Besides, a PC tower needs to have 5.25" and 3.5" bays for drives so this is actually a very nice-looking case when you take those requirements into account.

And don't forget that the more it looks like an Apple design, the more they could get sued (as far as computers go). Not sure if the fact that's it's a computer casing only would protect them... It's still made to put a computer in it.

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
I saw a similar case at Comp USA. I touched it and it felt like a cheap aluminum case made from soda cans. Even the dell cases look better than that. Who would make a product and call it a Mac look at a PC price, it looks more like a peice of garbage that sould be melted and made into soda cans.

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
feakbeak said:
While I must admit this doesn't look as sleek and minimalist as the actual Power Mac G5, it is not that bad. I would really like to do an experiment. If I were Apple I would design an ugly computer... I'm talking really ugly - scary looking! I would release the fugly computer with the Apple branding. I would also design the most beautiful computer ever imagined and release it under some PC manufacturer's brand name. Then, I would watch as the loyalists praised the ugly computer and made fun of the beautiful one. Oh, it would provide so many laughs. Beauty seems to be dependent upon what logo is on the box.
You said that if Apple released a ugly computer we would still think it looked good??
IF that were the case... Then we would like the B&W Powermacs... now wouldn't we?
The color was horrible
bluewhiteg3300.jpg

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
jackieonasses said:
You said that if Apple released a ugly computer we would still think it looked good??
IF that were the case... Then we would like the B&W Powermacs... now wouldn't we?
The color was horrible
bluewhiteg3300.jpg

I dunno, college gurls loooooooooooooooooooved my B&W G3.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I dunno, I like that color. My room was painted a similar color in High School. I guess the gray, and then silver, were better for that pro look. White seems to be good for consumer. I do wonder what they'll come up with next.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Yvan256 said:
What website sells that? A lot of people would buy one (it sure beats those ugly beige boxes and the ones with plastic windows cut-outs and neon lights).

It is a storefront for a computer company here in Sydney. They are quite cheap you know - I got a 250Gb SATA for $210!!

J&W computers

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.