Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
If the camera glass is glass, too. it could be plastic. also I believe it's coated in something.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
So many OCD people around here.

When you get new shoes, do you return it because it is slightly off with the stitching?

Just leave the iPhone 4 in the box and never let your grubby hands ever corrupt and ruin this device from real world abuse. Display it under a glass like a jewelry store or museum. Geez! If you use a microscope, maybe you can find all the bacteria and germs you put onto this device with your fingers.

Dogpilot

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Come people, its just a phone, well MP3 player, video Camera, still Camera, yada, yada. If you use it it will get scratched. Listen to what William Shatner had to say...

Shatner Vid

:apple:

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I noticed tiny scratches on the silver housing shortly I got it. My camera works fine and I haven't had any of the issues spoken about on the forum so I consider myself lucky. I thought I was crazy for noticing and being a bit bothered, but I see I'm not alone.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
So what did you bet and where can I collect it?

lens.jpg

3rd.

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
I got my phone on launch day and my bumper didn't come until 3 days later... in those 3 days my camera glass is VERY scratched up and it is horribly affecting pictures, taking pictures with the front facing camera are better than the ones on the back, has this happened to anyone else and have you gotten any results from Apple? I'll take some comparison pictures later and post them to show I'm not making this up, it is very evident from pictures that something is wrong.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My guess is that the glass on the camera is not this "gorilla glass" they've been talking about. .

By "they" you mean people on these forums that don't bother educating themselves, correct? :confused:

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I got my phone on launch day and my bumper didn't come until 3 days later... in those 3 days my camera glass is VERY scratched up and it is horribly affecting pictures, taking pictures with the front facing camera are better than the ones on the back, has this happened to anyone else and have you gotten any results from Apple? I'll take some comparison pictures later and post them to show I'm not making this up, it is very evident from pictures that something is wrong.

What are you doing to your phone in 3 days that it's "VERY scratched"? I used mine for 2 weeks without a bumper and it's in mint shape still.

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
That is why I got a Bodyguardz skin on the back. It elevates the phone when I put it down so the camera lens does not touch anything.

And let me assure you those scratches would not affect the performance of the camera in the slightest.

Not one bit.

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
What are you doing to your phone in 3 days that it's "VERY scratched"? I used mine for 2 weeks without a bumper and it's in mint shape still.

I have no idea what did it but I think the culprit is the top of my jeans pocket honestly, maybe I just got a weak or defective piece of glass for it cause I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem so extreme.

I attached the pics, I had to resize the back one to 90% of the original but still, the difference is obvious. I don't understand what is going on, everything comes out bright and blurry, its awful. Same with videos.

EDIT: the one on the right was taken from the Back camera

Attachments

• Front Facing.jpg
    Front Facing.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105

Mherm88

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Lafayette Hill, PA
Well I confirmed it's the scratches, I took the back off last night and took a picture and it was perfect, it's def the glass on the back that's killin' my pics

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
No scratches here either. I will also add, the camera lens IS recessed but were talking a very small amount. So small you may not notice it. Either that, or there is some variance through production.

iphoneblack24

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
No scratches on my naked iP4. I check for scratches on a daily basis. It all comes down to how one cares for their iP4. Treat it like gold. Watch where you lay it down before doing so. Place it in a pocket by itself and put your keys, loose change and fingernail clippers in another pocket. And never ever let someone else, even your bestest of friends handle your iP4. I can say from experience no one takes better care of your property than you. :)

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
From a photographic standpoint a light scratch or two on the fornt element of a lens should have negligible to zero negative effect on IQ. ( Image Quality )

Where you don't want to see a scratch, and you won't on a cell phone is the rear element of the lens. This would be the last element in front of the camera image sensor.

From time to time I demonstrate this with my Canon DSLR and a lens that has some serious light scratching ( intentionally done by me ) on the front element )

Having said that, I do not have a case for my iPhone but it does not go naked in my pocket. I wrap it in a large micro fiber cloth ... awaiting my new case to come.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Nope. Several weeks and counting. Not a scratch. Just take of your stuff and you don't have this problem.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I think people are just too anal with their iphones.
Its just a cellphone that you most likelly will replace in a year or 2. Its not a house and you're not getting married to it. :D
People return iphones like 10+ times untill the get the "perfect" iphone for various OCD reasons.

Some ppl are OCD about it but then again some ppl pay a lot of $ and just take pride in keeping it in the best condition possible. I know I get one every two years and I like to keep it in good condition even though I get the Subsidized price, it is like a car, you get one every so often but the better it looks and runs the better I feel about driving it.

I think some people just like to complain also...:rolleyes:

rickolis

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
I just looked at mine and I have a ton of scratches on it. Oops. haha. It doesn't seem to be affecting the picture quality. Not really sure where the scratches came from since I haven't done anything to it and keep it in my jeans pocket without anything else. Oh well!

macros73

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
My camera housing cover is all scratched. Indoor pics appear to be okay, but if I try to take pictures outside, I can end up with a "glowing mist" effect. I don't see any scratches elsewhere on my iPhone 4 and I'm mystified how the camera cover got scratched. I baby it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.