Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamteam

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Same exact issue. Although I must be extremely careless in placing my phone down places. It ended up bothering me so much that I took the back off and popped off the lens cover entirely. It may be dangerous leaving the camera exposed (at least it's recessed), but better quality photos is well worth it in my opinion.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar today. I'll let you know what they say. Once I get it fixed, it sucks I'll have to go back to the bumper.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The best thing to do is have them put a new back glass on it. The back glass is a lot more scratchable than the front glass, and I believe that the camera lens cover is plastic, not glass. Very easily scratched.

I think the back glass is $30, but I had to have mine replaced once and they didn't charge me.

dreamteam

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
The best thing to do is have them put a new back glass on it. The back glass is a lot more scratchable than the front glass, and I believe that the camera lens cover is plastic, not glass. Very easily scratched.

I think the back glass is $30, but I had to have mine replaced once and they didn't charge me.

That's exactly what they did! They changed the whole back glass. The guy said the warranty didn't cover this, but he'd do it for free anyways. I saw the invoice and it was supposed to cost $29.

The camera got scratched up at no fault of my own, so I believed it should have been done for free. At the same time, I was expecting to pay. So it was a nice surprise Apple didn't charge me a thing!

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Look at this crap:

5703633097_c151f1738d_b.jpg

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
This will happen to any phone with any material they use. It's called wear and tear. Don't like it? Think it's 'crap'? Here's a revelation: take better care of your phone. Put a care on it and stop whining.

Oh, and just for good measure, I'm sure there's someone on this forum that has a story to prove me wrong, but trust me in that it is not the norm. Take care of your electronics if you want them to look nice.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
Had ip4 since 1st day on verizon
Always with a screen protector & in a case and holster

No scratches but thanks for making me look, it was filthy over the lens

I work blue collar in Arizona
Phone clipped on my tool pouch much of day
Been dropped too many times to count
Pretty much ongoing borderline abuse to this phone but it seems to take it

Its dusty and needs a cleaning but has no scratches on either glass
The screen protector wants to be replaced and glad I have it
I don't baby this phone at all and it is fine, all around beats my earlier phone
This phone is my favorite tool

My old moto droid looks like it went thru a war after I had it for a year
I still use it for some of the spendy apps I need for work once in a while

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
This will happen to any phone with any material they use. It's called wear and tear. Don't like it? Think it's 'crap'? Here's a revelation: take better care of your phone. Put a care on it and stop whining.

Ah, you're an Internet mainstay: the person who gets ripped off with shoddy merchandise and then berates others who stand up for themselves because you're too spineless to do so.

First of all, your "logic" fails because the entire rest of the phone is spotless. That includes the glass back surrounding the defective lens cover, so your comment about "any material they use" is proven wrong. So is your thesis is that "wear and tear" magically hopped over the entire back of the phone surrounding the lens cover and touched down only on the lens cover. You want us to believe that when placed down on a desk, the phone balances on the lens cover and no other part of the phone touches the desk? You're brilliant, having discovered a new branch of physics that defies all others!

You also fail to account for the fact that the lens cover isn't recessed. Again, sheer stupidity that you appear to blame yourself (the consumer) for.

And then you propose that devices designed specifically for mobile, everyday use require some kind of protective vault. So you don't recognize that such a device fails at its primary purpose.

And finally, you don't understand that this isn't about appearance. It's about defective design leading to impaired functionality.

You need to acquire some self respect, some reading skills, and some common sense. Otherwise, you'll continue to embarrass yourself AND live as a perpetual victim.

Last edited:

jkane08

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia
Never, if its a fine scratch you'll never see an issue. Unless you have the eyes of a hawk and eagle combined

I have about 7,000 hairline scratches on the camera.
Been using my iPhone 4 naked for about 8 months. Camera started getting scratched (I assume) immediately. It only started affecting my pictures around March/April. Now if I want to take a photo, I have to turn the phone around and use the front camera.

Here is why:

photo-1.jpg

photo.JPG

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Ah, you're an Internet mainstay: the person who gets ripped off with shoddy merchandise and then berates others who stand up for themselves because you're too spineless to do so.

First of all, your "logic" fails because the entire rest of the phone is spotless. That includes the glass back surrounding the defective lens cover, so your comment about "any material they use" is proven wrong. So is your thesis is that "wear and tear" magically hopped over the entire back of the phone surrounding the lens cover and touched down only on the lens cover. You want us to believe that when placed down on a desk, the phone balances on the lens cover and no other part of the phone touches the desk? You're brilliant, having discovered a new branch of physics that defies all others!

You also fail to account for the fact that the lens cover isn't recessed. Again, sheer stupidity that you appear to blame yourself (the consumer) for.

And then you propose that devices designed specifically for mobile, everyday use require some kind of protective vault. So you don't recognize that such a device fails at its primary purpose.

And finally, you don't understand that this isn't about appearance. It's about defective design leading to impaired functionality.

You need to acquire some self respect, some reading skills, and some common sense. Otherwise, you'll continue to embarrass yourself AND live as a perpetual victim.

I love you.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I think people are just too anal with their iphones.
Its just a cellphone that you most likelly will replace in a year or 2. Its not a house and you're not getting married to it. :D
People return iphones like 10+ times untill the get the "perfect" iphone for various OCD reasons.

Agreed!

That's why I made a thread about going caseless, it does not matter you're going to replace your phone in a year or two anyway... little things like dead pixels, scratches, etc... don't matter.

Unless of course you're planning to never get another phone.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So if you're carrying around a naked IP4, you might want to flip it over and take a look at all the light scratches on your camera lens housing. You may have noticed that the lens is not recessed. Well, everytime you set it down on it's back, you expose the glass housing to whatever you set it on.

Don't believe me? Shine some light on the back camera lens and tilt the iPhone at an angle. You'll see the light scratches. There are LOTS of them.

My guess is that the glass on the camera is not this "gorilla glass" they've been talking about.

My question is, how long before this starts affecting pictures taken with the camera? Hmm.
Cool story bro. Want a cookie?

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I think people are just too anal with their iphones.
Its just a cellphone that you most likelly will replace in a year or 2. Its not a house and you're not getting married to it. :D
People return iphones like 10+ times untill the get the "perfect" iphone for various OCD reasons.

Anal with an iPhone? I'm not that into apple products

TYGS

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
I'd be curious to see how prevelant this issue is and whether it does impact photo quality.

It is amazing how many flaws people are finding with this new iPhone 4.

Are people picky or is this iPhone a real failure? :confused:

The problems keep coming. WTF?

When I had the black Iphone 4 I took my case off of it, After about 5 months of using it without the case the lens for the camer ended up scratching, which is normal through time but whenever I took pictures, the scratches made all the pictures blurry. I know im not that much of a picture taking guy but Its good to have a camera that takes good pictures.

I have the white one now and have a bumper on but im urging to take it off and just forget about the scratches....

----------

Been using my iPhone 4 naked for about 8 months. Camera started getting scratched (I assume) immediately. It only started affecting my pictures around March/April. Now if I want to take a photo, I have to turn the phone around and use the front camera.

Here is why:

View attachment 296599

View attachment 296598

This this was worse than what my phone was

----------

Here is why:

View attachment 296599

View attachment 296598

This this was worse than what my phone was

jkane08

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Philadelphia
u b trollin?

really? is that a serious question? because i contributed to the thread about my iPhone 4's camera being scratched?

I sold my iPhone 4 two weeks ago for $265.. it was the 32gb, I wish I could've gotten more for it, but the camera is such a huge selling point of any phone.

Oh well, I have a 4S now, and I'm paranoid about the camera getting scratched on this one now. Anyone know if there's a zagg shield, or anything, specifically for the camera lens?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.