Have Americans Given Up?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rebel, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Rebel macrumors newbie

It is certainly not difficult to find Americans who have given up. Their conclusion is that the government is too powerful, too corrupt, too rich, and too corporatized. They have lost hope and allowed discouragement to take control. Often that lost hope is a consequence of bad information — such as the myth that the country is already occupied by countless thousands of terrorist, our freedoms are already eroding and are well on their way to being lost.
    What these American citizens overlook, of course, is that we still possess freedom of assembly, freedom of speech, and freedom of the press — including the freedom to bring forth revolutionary change. We are still able to sound the alarm with our voices, our pens, our resources, our money, and our influence. We can still effect change in government through the simple process of informing our fellow citizens and consolidating our voice for just causes. In short, we can still use our freedoms to save our freedoms and our hard-earned money. If it were too late, such freedoms would no longer be permitted and the corrupt would have free reign.

Small groups of activists will always succeed against disorganized and apathetic majorities. No one knows this better than the corrupt ones themselves. It will not take millions to stop them, but it will take many more than are involved today. If everyone who is aware helps another to understand; if the newly informed also awaken others; and if many of them come together under an effective organization to challenge and expose abusive and corrupt government, the tide of battle will be turned in the American Citizens favor.

2. mactacular macrumors newbie

3. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

To really get the feeling of that post, you need to read it really fast and try not to breathe while reading it.
    Nice sentiment reb, but what are you rebellling against? The entire government? Bush?

4. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

To question your answer, why do you feel so glib about this? Because boy genius got daddy's Supreme Court appointees to hand him another job he didn't earn?

(And the rich don't pay taxes anymore.)

5. mactacular macrumors newbie

It was a joke. His post was kind of vague, so I just said yes. And about the rich not paying taxes, where are you from. It is simply not true. If you mean rich corporations then sometimes true, but if rich people is what you mean then you are wrong. I dont know what you mean by the supreme court giving boy genious a job he did not earn? If you speak of the constitutional elected Bush I would have to point you in the direction of the US constitution. Take you issue with that document not the supreme court or bush or bush sr.

6. Rebel thread starter macrumors newbie

What am I rebelling against?

Our antiquated tax system. Here is a quote from President Reagan and Abraham Lincoln.

"Our federal tax system is, in short, utterly impossible, utterly unjust and completely counterproductive [it] reeks with injustice and is fundamentally un-American... it has earned a rebellion, and it's time we rebelled.” -President Ronald Reagan, May 1983, Williamsburg , VA

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching. It unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country... the Money Power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign"' by working upon the prejudices of the people, until the wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war." -Abraham Lincoln

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I lost all hope and faith in the US when Bush was elected. Under Clinton things were pretty calm and on the bright side, he was a good leader, speaker and politition. Under Bush we have seen terror attacks rise, had 2 wars, and the possiblity of a third in Korea. Hmm something is fishy here. Bush can't speak, he's a puppet for Rumsfelt, Cheeny etc.., he's a Cowboy from Texas (no offence to the Texan people) and not fit to lead a country.

8. wwworry macrumors regular

He's not a cowboy. He's a partyboy pretending to be a cowboy.

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Well hey, we'd be no better off with Howard Dean, who found a way to get out of the draft... I mean hey, at least you don't have to be a responsible person with him as president...

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well hey, we'd be no better off with George W. Bush, who found a way to get out of the draft... I mean hey, at least you don't have to be a responsible person with him as president...

11. Rebel thread starter macrumors newbie

Baby Bush Broken Promises

Promise: To beef up security at airports.

Reality: Cut 6,000 people from security operations.

Promise: Veterans of World War II and Korea use the Veterans Affairs hospitals for treatment. Every dollar of the cost of treatment is deducted from these veterans' retirement checks. Bush promised to fix this.

Reality: A bipartisan effort to remedy this was squelched in a speech by Donald Rumsfeld, speaking for Bush and promising a veto because the cost is a "budget buster." Support our troops indeed!

Promise: In education, that "no child would be left behind."

Reality: $90 million cut from the budget.

Promise: Full funding of low-income home-energy assistance program that helps the elderly, the disabled and those below the poverty level.

Reality: Cut funding by $300 million.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Huh? Clinton avoided the draft, W. avoided the draft... hundreds of thousands if not millions of the Vietnam generation avoided the draft. If this is going to be a litmus test for something, don't you think it makes sense to decide exactly what it's a litmus test for?

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Gore was in vietnam. didn't get him in office. and look what the GOP did to max cleland -- apparently, voters pay more attention to the spin than whether or not the candidate was actually _in_ vietnam. and left limbs there.

14. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: What am I rebelling against?

i think that the gop is going to work towards having a caste system in america...rich and poor, period ...and the gop will continue to incresingly support the rich but try to sound like they are also supporting others

one thing i give the gop is their great strategies of late...many believe that the gop is the party of the worker in america and somehow are working hand in hand with the civil rights people and the unions to make sure that "the rich" do not take over with their "elites" with education and money and the "elites" who are liberal and in "hollywood"

it's great populist scare tactic stuff and one thing i can say is, the rich have been very successful in hanging onto their money and being anonymous in the background while they make the working class fight over non issues and look the other way while the rich continue on in ...richness:rolleyes:

15. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Not to mention that bush also went aWol while in the air guard that his dad pulled strings to get him into even though he would normally have been at the bottom of a 3500 person waiting list and even then probably not gotten in since he scored in the bottom fifth of the exam to get in.
    BTW, You know what kept Rush Limbaugh out of service to his country? Anal cysts. Maybe that's the real reason he's been popping so many pills?

16. Rebel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats gotta hurt like hell...

17. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

...especially when you're such a big _______!

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

radio personality.

19. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I like your thinking

20. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

And where may I ask has this money gone, do I hear:confused: no it couldn't be. to the Armed forces:rolleyes: not under a republican admin.

21. Rebel thread starter macrumors newbie

To halburton - then back into political pockets.

22. candan9019 macrumors regular

This is why Im moving back to Canada. It's not perfect but, I feel like I have a lot more freedom when Im up there. Any country where people consistenly criticise the party they voted for can't be all that bad.

I hope things turn around here though. There are a lot of good people in this country that don't deserve what this administration is doing to there country. If you can still call it there country.