Have an interview today

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacDawg, Feb 1, 2005.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, time to try to climb the ladder back up to where I was. I lost my job before Christmas, in the "Lost my job today" thread. I shared my first day back at work. So I thought I would tell you that I have an interview today.

I will be interviewing at 10:00 EST for another Project Manager job at the same company. It would put me back where I was minus the 10% paycut everyone had to take.

I'm pretty well suited for the job, but as in most places, its not what you know, but who you know. I don't know anyone in this department. I have a feeling that they already have their person selected, and this is just a formality, but I'm going to give it my best shot anyway!

Wish me luck!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

Best of luck, Dawg. I hope they're not just "going through the motions". I'm sure that with your positive attitude you'll rise head and shoulders above anyone else vying for that position.

All the best,
    Marc

4. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

5. joetronic macrumors 6502

good luck. I had an interview friday for a higher level engineer where I am now. I really think I bombed though.

Let us know how it goes

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Good luck 'Dawg! And joe, too...You know, you can never tell how these interviews go sometimes. You might think you bombed it, but it may have actually gone really well.

7. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

good luck, 'dawg. the interview is probably over by now, so let us know how it went...

i'm also job hunting now. and one thing i learned about interviewing is that you have to tell them what you offer that they want, not what the job offers you. sounds so idiotically simple, but i sure have made that mistake in my previous interviews...

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just as other have said, good luck and i hope everything works out, you never know what might happen

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If there is any justice MD....

If the impression you leave at your interview is anything like the impression many of us have of you here @ MR, you should have a decent chance.

Keep us posted.

10. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I did very poorly on my interview for my current job, but the person in charge decided I was the person. Why? Because they trusted their ability to read people and realized that I was fairly good at what I did, just not at interviewing. It didn't help that they didn't tell me that I was going to be interviewed by about 6 people, all at once.

DAWG, Good luck on your interview!! :D

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't forget to woof at the end of the interview the way you do in your posts!

12. MacDawg thread starter macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well, I was pretty well prepared for the interview, but I have very mixed feelings about it.

Our HR department has to sit in on the interview, so I had a hiring manager, and the HR representative. They also use the STAR interview process and treat the book "Landing the Job You Want" by William C. Byham as the Bible of interviews.

The thought is that future behavior can be predicted by past behavior. In other words, how you have handled situations in the past will predict how you will handle them in the future. While there is some truth to that, it doesn't leave room for people to change and grow.

The STAR process is this... they will ask you a question, something like "tell me about a time when you did something to improve customer service". Or, "tell me about a time you made a bad decision and what you did to correct it." Or, "tell me about a time when you were faced with conflict and how you resolved it". From that you have to give them a STAR

S ituation - you describe the circumstances of the situation
    T ask - you detail what needed to be accomplished
    A ction - you describe what YOU did to accomplish the task
    R esult - you describe what the results of your actions were

You really need to go in with a list of predetermined "STARs" that you just plug in to the questions. The problem comes when you get a question and you have no STAR. You either make one fit, or you wing it.

I did OK I guess on my STARs because it was the same job description of the job I had, and I had already created a list of STARs for that interview a year ago, so I just added some to it.

However, the clue was that when they came in, they told me how much of a hurry they were in. We skipped the preliminaries... "tell me about yourself", and "here is what the job involves". Instead it was, we don't have a lot of time, so here are your (mandatory) six questions... boom, boom, boom. Then it was, "do you have any questions for us? (no pause) Great, it was good to meet you today".

Translation, we already know who we are hiring, we just needed you here to fill our quota of interviews.

Oh well... I guess that I shouldn't expect anything more than that.

I'll just contribute in the position that I'm in. I have lots of young workers in my area, and several new hires. I have an opportunity to influence them and shape them into productive workers. Just getting them to show up for work is a challenge, and to get them there on time is another trick.

I have a couple of other job bids outstanding, so maybe I'll get another interview from one of them.

Anyway, thanks for thinking about me this morning!
    Best of luck to the rest of you that are job hunting right now and interviewing.

Woof, Woof - Dawg