have any of you done st john's wort or any other herbal meds?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, May 9, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

have any of you tried st john's wort or other herbal meds? i wonder what you think about them, and if you had say depression, what would you try first? Would you go to medication or alternative medcine?

2. alxths macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about starting a routine with st john's wort, but the cash isn't flowing at the moment.. I like the prospect of herbal meds, and that in itself should givve an added 'placebo' effect, AND their cheaper(for the most part, as i understand), so i'd definately try someething like that before prozac or whatever else..

Hmm, has anyone here had any experience with the pill and natural form of st john's wort?

3. dopefiend macrumors 6502

If you have any sort of depression, Id recommend working out. I don't know why, but man....it works!

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

working out helps from what i understand because it produces endorphins which are basically "happy hormones" that make you feel more alive, and energetic, ect....i could be wrong but i think thats it....but yes working out definately does help with depression, its a huge physical and mental boost its getting motivated to actually work out thats that hard part, once you have the motivation your set....

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

After only a few days use, it made me jittery. But i had problems with both depression and anxiety, so i may be nontypical. All antidepressants i tried gave me terrible side effects except Welbutrin.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

paul

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The problem with Herbal remedies is you can't control the concentration.

Please go to a professional for a diagnosis and if you choose to take an anti-depressant take one that is controlled by the FDA. I've used several different ones. I'd stay away from Paxil. Celexa worked well for me in the past.

7. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I have the same problem. I found Celexa worked well for both anxiety and depression. An idiot doctor gave me Paxil when I was having horrible panic attacks which made them *much* worse. I ended up going off the Paxil and found Celexa to be *my* miracle drug. Currently I'm not taking anything but expect to go back to Celexa come Fall when it starts getting dark earlier which seems to have very strong effects on my mood.

8. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

acidrock

Can you tell us what your depression is about?

I'm just getting out from the biggest depression in my life here in New York. I was about to drop the ball a few times if you know what I mean.

I was taking St. Johns Wort and it worked really well but my case was really heavy and now I am taking Selexa.

But let me tell you about the depression itself.

In my case I had this huge dream, and it just felt in to pieces. The biggest dream of my life disappear in a terrible way. So, I was here in New York, in winter ( I never had a winter in my life because I am from a different country), without friends, without a job.

Because there is a God, my roommate is a psicologist and he was the best help ever.

Now, the endorphis are tricky because you can develop pleasure for pain and drepression too.

What you can do everytime you fall in to those moods is to realet the "pleasure" with something good. For example, I use to remember the really good moments I had with my ex-ex-girlfriend (who still in touch with me and is supportive). That way the bad taste will dissapear.

Time is the key word, things takes time. In a few weeks you may remember the same things but they are not going to affect you. You need a lot of will too.

What happened to me was that one day I got tired of the situation too and I realized that my friends were turning the back on me because I was with the same issue over an over again. One day I said to myself: I am not going to be such crying baby about this any more!

Any way, do what you have to do. Do not push yourself, take care of you, slow down a bit and that is it.

You can surrender yourself to God and give your problems to him.

Take care.

Rei

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind herbal "drugs' can adversely affect the absorption or use of "prescription" drugs.

10. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually don't know why you guys all assumed that I was writing this because I was interested in taking st john's wort, but actually I do have depression and anxiety. I have been on medication for it for about six years, recently I have been getting a lot better, and probably by the end of the summer I am going to be taken off of it. I was actually just interested in what people thought of the alternative meds.

however, right now I am taking an approaches to healing, guest lecture course, and they talked about st john's, but I can't remember what they said about it. I think they said that it wasn't that affective, but I'm not %100 about it.

11. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Ummm....

That would be my guess as to why they assumed that.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Each person is different, in their level and type of depression, as well as their tolerance and reaction to herbal remedies and/or drugs.

St. John's Wort is an inexpensive, relatively mild solution for some, but may have no effect on others. It may be worth a try if someone is mildly depressed. It can make you flushed and feel jittery, and is not a solution for anxiety (which obviously is a separate issue from depression itself). For many it is just a placebo, and has an uplifting effect as such. Just feeling like you are doing something about your depression can make you feel better in some cases.

It is difficult to know when to seek professional help. There are still many stereotypes out there that feed the fear and anxiety of seeking help.

13. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I've read newspaper articles stating that you shouldn't take St. John's Wort for more than a relatively short period of time. I think it was something like two weeks. Sorry I can't specify any articles, but I'm sure the reports are out there. I used to take it nearly daily to keep me from getting worked up (mostly angered) over any little thing--I'm not sure if that's what St. John's is intended for. I would neither recommend nor dis-recommend it, but my guess is for anything more than occasional, mild anxiety or depression, it's not what you'll want. I'm not a doctor or even someone who's done any research on this sort of thing, so really I'm just passing along the fact that I read those newspaper articles, and throwing my two cents in otherwise.

14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

No, I stick to stuff synthesized in a lab,manufactured in a factory, and overpriced in a drug store.

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would be leery of using a herbal medication. There isn't a really proper control, meaning that the dosage can very from sample to sample. As mentioned herbal medications can interfere with prescription medications.

If you have depression of more that 30 days, it's best to seek professional help. Self medication isn't safe.

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i have both anxiety and depression (the two typically go hand in hand) and i've tried EVERY possible drug comboination available. My results have been the BEST using a comibnation time released Adderall (XR) at 20mg and Effexor (XR) at 375mg's. Effexor can cause significant weight loss however (it practically kills your appetite) so I found I need to smoke pot to maintain my weight (i originally lost 40 pounds in like a month). This is pretty drastic medication, but I've been depressed since I was a child, and nobody can "cure" it. I've tried St. John's Wort and it works (it's also cheaper i believe) but it's much harder to dose yourself. The pills aren't uniform in strength, and the effects are far less than on an a prescription. If your curious about it's safety though, I had no ill side effects from using it. My recommendation is (if you are able to motivate yourself) to exercise, I never felt better than when I used to play football, the energy boost is incredible. I however suffer from a lack of motivation, so getting to the gym is a chore in and of itself.

The most important thing is a desire to change, than support from family, change in lifestyle and eating habits, and if necessary medication. Medication is prescribed like candy now-a-days, so I'd consult several doctors to get a general consensus and go with the most middle of the road approach. Doctors have recommended meditation, yoga, etc. but I think those are for people who aren't nearly as depressed as I am.

you might surprise yourself by sitting down and discussing medication with a knowledgeable psychologist, self medication is quite easy. i medicate myself (although i discuss what im doing as well as changing with my psychologist) and it works out great for me. Only YOU can tell exactly how your feeling, YOU know whether or not the dose is sufficient, the doctor only goes of the symptoms you express to them.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When it comes to medications your are better off with a psychiatrist. They are trained in psychology and medications. So they are better prepared to take care of your overall problem safely. Now that nurse practitioners have the ability to both diagnose and prescribe. A nurse actually can be more in-tune with the patient. They are supervised by a doctor.

18. MatMistake macrumors member

if anyone is thinking about trying any herbal medicines, and is already on some sort of prescription drug (even if its for a totally different thing) please, for your own sake, consult a doctor before you take anything. things like st john's wort can kill if mixed with the wrong prescription drugs.
    and be particularly careful if with mixing aspirin and herbal medicines, its not a good combination.

herbal medicines are almost totally un-regulated, recently in the US it took 7 years to ban a particular herbal medicine, and that was 7 years from the point that authorities worked out what was going on, people had been dying due to it for alot longer than that.

19. alxths macrumors 6502

Is that just because it causes an immunity to certain anti-biotics?

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Properly manufactured herbal medications can be safe. The best way is using an extract, or a fortified leaf. Basically it extracts the active chemical, and redistributes it perfectly evenly, so that it's measured to pharmacutical standards. And yeah, it can be dangerous to take a drug that little is known of. But, there are plenty of prescription drugs out there that accomplish their goal while we have no idea how or why, we just assume the benefit outweights the potential for damage.

But, unless you're very skilled in psychology and self-psychology, i would recommend seeing a therapist who can help with a medication or self-medication plan.

I just went off Welbutrin about two months ago, because i couldn't stand my doctor (she couldn't speak english) and I knew another doctor would want to start the medication-wheel all over again. Plus, while welbutrin helped immensely to dull the worst depression, it also killed the high-range of positive emotions, leaving me somewhat numb.

Mymemory, depression is a clinical illness with a biochemical cause that we don't fully understand yet. There is no foolproof known cure, and they've been looking for thousands of years. There are, however, medications that can help manage the depression through a variety of means, the most famous being SSRI's, which keep the chemical seratonin from being reabsorbed by the neurotransmitters that create it, instead of being received at the other side of the synapse. So consciously releasing endorphins in your body will help for some people, but not all. I'm glad you found something that helped.

paul

21. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

Paul, I share similar experiences with you even though I haven't stopped taking medication yet. Because I'm on such a low dosage now I can see how much I was medicated by it. I've noticed almost a complete change in my personality, I'm lively and interested in others, before it was hard for me to do this.

22. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

St. John's wart also interacts negatively with anti-depressants... never take them both, you will OD and make yourself very sick and miserable.

23. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Have you tried Celexa? If your new Doc gives you some options I'd recommend checking it out. Only side effect I had with it was a little nasuea for a few days right in the beginning.

24. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Before being on meds? If the meds you are taking makes you numb then the dose is either too high or just the wrong kind.

25. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually think the dosage was ok because I could tell the medication was helping. I just happened to get better and that was why we started to lower it so much.