Have Apple opened a gap in their product line?...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by leachy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. leachy macrumors newbie

I have to say that the new specs of the mac pro do look very good.

With launching it yesterday though have Apple not raised the entry price point when compared with the old G5 Power Mac? This isn't a problem per se, but has there now opened a gap for an Apple computer product at the £800 - £1200 level with the performance/upgrade options of an iMac but without an integrated screen?

I think Apple's range is well spread out now and the addition of the Mini finally allowed Apple to compete with the PC at all levels but I still feel that a machine that sits parallel to the iMac range but also serves as a junior macPro would be a great addition to give customers a choice as for many reasons not everyone wants a screen built-in to their machine nor wants to shell out for a MacPro.

The product name is kind of obvious though if you look at the current desktop range:

1. Mac Mini
    2. Mac (the new machine)
    3. iMac (i for Integrated)
    4. Mac Pro

Any thoughts?

2. generik macrumors 601

generik

That will severely cut into their Mac Pro sales, right now people who want some degree of customisation (ie: they want to decide for themselves what graphics card can go in!) need to pay quite a significant premium to gain that customisability, regardless of whether they want it or not.

Those who want it will go for it, those who don't will just make do with an integrated model. With the new "Mac" a lot of the middling users who'd otherwise edge towards a Mac Pro would evaporate.

3. leachy thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that at the lower end of the Mac Pro range that would be a risk but are they not also losing potential switchers from PCs who will look at the Apple offering and decide that the Mac Pro is too much for their needs or too expensive but that they don't want an integrated screen like the iMac and maybe would like the option to change the display card or add an expansion card.

The main argument for the product would probably be a case of matching offerings from Dell/HP and others to better compete with them.

From my point of view it would be a product I'd definitely buy as I currently have a perfectly decent screen that I have to share with a PC the rest of the family use but the Mac Mini isn't right for what I need and I can't afford a Mac Pro. Plus I don't have the space for an iMac because the PC will always need a monitor.

4. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

5. leachy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's corrected now, hopefully it'll be less confusing for you. :)

6. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Just having some fun. And yes they have a big whole. How about bringing back the cube with one full size pci slot and a video card slot. Same other specs as an iMac. I'd pay $1200 for the expandability.

7. leachy thread starter macrumors newbie

The cube idea is definitely the sort of idea I had in mind.

Maybe the thread should just have been: "Apple needs the cube"!

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

A Mac Midi would be nice come to think of it. It could go in a 'one size larger' version of the Mac Mini casing which would accomodate a 3.5" drive. I would want the Mac Pro as a main desktop, but I would definitely consider buying something inbetween with the 23" ACD as the monitor for less critical everyday computing requirements.

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

And you corrected someone else :p

10. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

As you say, such a model would certainly cut into the Mac Pro sales. On the other hand apple might in addition get thouse customer, who buy PCs now just because the don't want to pay the premium for the Mac Pro and don't want an all integrated system as the iMac.

11. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

How would a full size PCI slot fit into a cube?

12. generik macrumors 601

generik

Maybe it is a big cube?

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

A completely different suggestion: iMac is a nice machine, but many people would want more monitor and harddisk space. Suggestion: The iScreen. Looks _exactly_ like an iMac, but is just a monitor, so you can have an iMac and a second monitor and it looks good. Inside the iScreen, there is plenty of empty space, so it comes with a connector cable that transmits DVI and Firewire, and you can put two firewire harddisks inside.

It would sell primarily to iMac owners, but would also be handy as a base station for a MacBook or MacBook Pro.

14. andy89 macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: TEH I STANDS FOR INTERNET!

15. cube macrumors G4

If Apple doesn't come up with a midrange Mac, I'll buy a G5.

16. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

The British treat collective nouns as plural - leachy was perfectly correct.

By the way, it's "It's" not "Its".

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would agree. The pro is very well takencare of...now, The consumer has either Mini or all in one. There is a gigantic hole for sure for those with monitors. Apple could just leave this as it is trying to force folks up the ladder to get a decent GPU. They have done this for years but it seems to me the Consumer/gamer is again left scratching their heads. I mean what do you do with the person who has say 1,000 or $1,500 to spend but owns a monitor? Apple has nothing for these people.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

In the US the minimum configurable Mac Pro price (for standard customers) seems to be $2124... vs. $1999 for the lowest PMG5. There doesn't seem to be that much more of a gap now than there was for us.... the gap with a stock iMac 20" is about $500, but much of that gap disappears if you upgrade the iMac with a reasonable amount of RAM, a wireless KB/Mouse, and a bigger HD....

19. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I guess the argument is that Apple doesn't believe there is a big enough market for a mid-end headless Mac. Pros will buy the Mac Pro. Consumers will buy the iMacs and the minis. They probably think there aren't enough gamers/advanced consumers to have to cater to.

Personally, I would love a mid-range headless Mac, having the specs of an iMac, but with some expandability with drive bays and PCI cards.

I guess there aren't enough of us for Apple to care.

ft

20. cube macrumors G4

There is nothing advanced about having a separate monitor. It's just normal.

21. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Same here! I would definitely buy a new "cube". I have my 21" Eizo lcd, no need and space on my desk for the iMacs monitor. The mini with its integrated graphics has not enough power for my Cinema 4D and gaming needs. And the Mac Pro is simply too expensive for me. Guess I'll keep my powerbook as my main machine for as long as possible, as it is still a good machine for Adobe CS2.

I just hope they have a midrange tower or cube once CS3 is released.

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

23. cube macrumors G4

I don't want another hard to upgrade weird graphics card setup and no possibility of adding modern SCSI. So at least 1 x16 location sized like in the Mac Pro and 1 full x1.

24. Timepass macrumors 65816

and then the gap grows even larger when you add in a desent monitor to the Mac pro.

I think the mac pro make the product line gap people have been complaing about for years grow even larger and at some point apple really needs to fill it.

25. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

1) If Apple fills this "gap", it won't be any time soon. They'll want to keep demand for the Mac Pro strong.

2) There is no gap. People who want a cheaper computer than a Mac Pro but more powerful/expandable computer than a mini can get a refurbished or used Powermac G5. This has always been an option and has always kept demand for Apple's towers strong.

3) Other than used/refurbished towers, the best upcoming hope for a mid-range headless mac is a higher-end mini.

4) Apple will only add new computers to its lineup that its marketing strategy and volume of sales allow. Apple will have to be selling many more computers to justify adding a new line. Seems to be heading in that direction, but we've got a while to go.