Have G4, 10.3.8...Is there a way to convert a bmp file to eps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lcoin, Apr 6, 2005.

1. lcoin macrumors newbie

I have business cards I want to send to Kinko's and my logo is in bmp format and they need an eps file. Is there software or a way to make this conversion?

Thank you for looking, Lisa

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

What they want is a vector art file("line art"); what you have is a raster image file(pixel-based art)
    There is no conversion from bmp to eps per se, since the bmp is composed of a grid of pixels, while an eps is a resolution independant file based on paths, or "lines".
    ie: logos begin as eps files and are often rasterized, then converted to jpeg for websites, as an example.
    You might be able to load the transparency mask as a selection in Photoshop, then convert it to paths, but this will never be as clean as the original Illustrator file.

Sometimes, a 300dpi DCS 2.0 (Photoshop eps format, not to be confused with the "Illustrator eps" Kinkos is likely referring to) will work fine for color separations, as long as the image is large enough to print clearly.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm not sure the result will be very good, but I would try the Photoshop conversion, and save it as a Photoshop EPS, and see if Kinkos do accept that (even if I'm leaning towards the same conclusion as snickelfritz).

If you don't have Photoshop then you might try placing the logo in OmniGraffle Professional, and export that as an EPS (the trail version should let you do this), the resulting file will be just fine as long as they dont have to resize it too much...

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Perhaps they just don't like BMP., rather than specifically looking for .eps. You could just open it in Photoshop (or other image editing software) and save it off as a tiff.

5. BrettS macrumors newbie

BrettS

converting it to TIF or JPG should work fine for Kinkos. But if you ever need to convert a BMP (or any other raster image) to a vector image, you can get a copy of Adobe Streamline, which 'traces' the image. I'm not sure if Illustrator has that feature built in at this point. But expect the conversion to be rather primitive looking.

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The conversion will indeed not look very good. As far as I know Illustrator will have that feature in version CS2.

To the original post: did you design the logo by yourself or did a designer do the job? If it is that way, the designer should have the logo in eps format.