Have I made the right choice?

Discussion in 'Switch Stories' started by massie, Jun 30, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2003
    Hi, fairly new to the group.

I decided to change to apple affter borrowing my brothers Cube

ohhh now thats a classy looking thing.. :)

anyways, it just worked... after my frustration at windows crashing... for everything,

this just works!

so today ive ordered my first apple machine... and im wondering, have i made the right choice of mac for me?

i want it for graphic designing in photoshop, web design and the occasional audio recording using firewire...

I wanted a 17" powerbook for ages, but gave up on the idea as i though "do i really need to be that portable"

so then i though iMac? (knowing there was no way i could get a G5 AND screen - although ive been closly folowing the rumours beforehand...) but i figured that the 17" screen wasnt as big as the 17" i had been using on the Cube, it was just wider...

so i opted for the "Ultimate" G4 1gighz 1 gig ram eMac.

This has a bigger screen, still CRT flat (well basicly like the cube ive been using only with better specs and more ram)

i got this, airport extreem and also VPC 6 with win XP (i know ive gotta learn to let go) but anyways, ive herd that windows with VPC runs FASTER on a mac? is this true???

so what would you have gone for if you was me? did i make the right choice?

2. macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    for a switcher, i don't think there's a better computer to get than an emac. it's affordable and a very good value for $$$.

enjoy and welcome!
  3. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Personally I would have gotten a g5 (probably the cheapest model) and a cheap-ass LCD, like a Gateway FPD1830 (18.1" - $400).

But that is more expensive, less RAM, etc.

You made a pretty good purchase.

Enjoy your new computer :).

4. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Re: Have I made the right choice?

Whoever told you that could not be further from the truth, VPC 6 speed is awful, barely usable in fact. Make sure you turn ALL XP eye-candy off, that way it may just about be able to handle basic tasks.
  5. macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    i'd have gone for a 15 inch tibook myself, man, but if you don't need the portability, that eMac is a pretty decent hoss at 1 GHz with that load of RAM. got the 1 Gig on my Tibook myself, it really makes things snappy. VP6 is going to make windows really easy for you to let go of though, i hear it's slow as molasses. and i do mean mole asses.
  6. macrumors 68000

Dec 6, 2001
    Walt Disney Animation Studios
    Abandon VPC and see what OSX can do for you.

Most of the software for the PC is available for the Mac. (especially photoshop)