Have the older G5s mellowed yet?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MegaSignal, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Aside from the yet-to-be delivered Dual 2.5 (which, of course, will be a Rev. A), what is your opinion with regard to the Dual 1.8 and 2.0? In other words, now that these two computers gone Rev. B (along with Rev. F power supplies, etc.), would now be a good time to purchase them so as to hopefully avoid freezes, black screens, chirping power supplies, and other such maladies?

(Of course, all RAM to be purchased through a reputable high-quality company, along with liberal use of grounding wrist straps, etc.)
  2. crush7 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2001
    Germany, Heilbronn
  3. letterbox macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2004
    I have had this dual 1.8 for 2 weeks and it has been fine, however, I have experienced an unusaully high amount of freezes. This may be (probably is?) self induced because I was installing multiple programs while multi-tasking, but just to let you know. There is a big thread over at the Apple Discussion site for G5's on the system freeze issue. The machine is fast...so much faster than my partner's pb 1.33. I thought that computer was slick, but now it just feels sluggish.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    FWIW, I've had this dual-2.0 since September. And I've had no problems... which is especially amazing given that the power supply to my neighborhood sucks, despite repeated requests to the power company, and I often arrive home to find my G5 shutdown due to the UPS shutting down, eventually, due to over-voltage (usually) or brownouts (occassionally). So it's been shut off unexpectedly maybe, oh a dozen or more times due to that alone. And still, no problems.

The Rev Bs are presumably even more likely to be fine. Just wanted to get the word out that not all Rev As suck.
  5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Have had my Dual 2Ghz since November with no issues. One thing I dig about it is that today it's just as fast as the day I bought it, unlike my previous Windows PC's that tended to get slower as time progressed :p
  6. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    I've had a Dual 2GHz since October and am completely happy with it. No freezes, black screens, or chirping power supplies. No regrets.
  7. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    Cupertino CA
    Only problem

The only problem I have with my Rev B Dual 1.8 is when I insert a disk, it takes iTunes forever to find track names, and seems to freeze iTunes for 7-8 seconds. The same operation on my POwerBook 667 is much faster. I dont know if its a system problem, or network problem.