have to go back to pc :'( but i need some data help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sjestus, Mar 8, 2004.

1. sjestus macrumors member

Oct 15, 2001
    hey ya'll... i've had my iMac for over 4 years now, and recently it just totally went out on me, now i have to settle for a dell pc probably because mac's are a little bit out of my price range right now :( anyways... i'm wondering if i'll be able to take my 30GB hard drive that's in my imac right now, and put it in my new pc, then somehow still get most of the data that i did have from my hard drive to my new pc... is there some kinda program out there for pc that will let me read my mac's HD? or will i have to find another person with a G4 or somethin, stick the hard drive in there, then transfer it over a network? because there's no way i can get my imac to turn on right now, and i dont want to go to compusa and spend over 500 bucks to fix the prob when i can just buy a pc for the same ya know. well.. some day in the future i will have a mac again, but for now.. i'm gonna be a loser, lol

2. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    I think you could replace your imac for cheaper then a new dell. Not brand new though....
  3. Fukui macrumors 68000

Jul 19, 2002
    Google is your Friend
  4. bluetrepidation macrumors member

Feb 26, 2004
    Aww poor poor iMac. *tear* I'd check out www.macofalltrades.com. I bought from them (digital audio G4) and was very impressed. Good prices. Oh and my machine came with a new 60 GB hard drive on top of the stock one and 640MB of RAM instead of the 256 in the discription. Very clean. Great shape. Check em out.

5. rfgecko33 macrumors newbie

May 4, 2003
    i have never actually tried to put the hard drive from a mac into a windows machine, but my guess would be that windows won't recognize it. i know that it completely ignores my linux partitions, so i tend to think that the same will be true of a mac partition as well. there is a possible workaround, assuming you have a friend with a mac that is willing to do you a solid.

once you get the new pc, (though i would look into a used mac first, there are deals to be had on g4 desktops now), have a friend put your mac drive in their machine. then simply turn on the windows file sharing for both systems and copy the files that you can still use under windows over to the new machine.

that's my off the top of the head guess anyway. :D hope it helps.
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You might look into Mac Opener. I believe that it reads most any Mac OS formatted disk.

If you're not too far from the Orlando area, I might be able to help personally. If you can't get it to power on, is the power switch no longer flush? My dad's was like this and the only way we could get it to power on was by using the power key on the keyboard. Once they worked on the power switch, there was no problem getting the machine to work.
  7. liven2 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I fixed my buddies imac prblem by just replacing teh ROM battery.. The battery fizzled after a power outage and I replaced teh battery and it it booted right back up! The fix you may need may be very minor do not through in the towel yet! :)