have u ever had a ringing in your ear?!

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Feb 10, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Since about 5:30 last night, my left ear has felt like it's clogged. Nothing I have done is helping it, and it's driving me nuts!!!

It's like my left ear is in a tunnel. When I drive, there's a whirl that echos in it. When I talk, it feels really weird. I haven't slept at all I feel either.

Drinking liquid doesn't help. Swallowing exercises won't cure it. I'm wondering, just what the hell is wrong?! :rolleyes:

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

wow, that doesn't sound good. You might want to take a trip to the doctor. I've had ringing in my ear from time to time, but never where it actually prevented me from sleeping.

Good luck!

D

3. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...this sucks...

I've never experienced something like this before. I know it's not from the loud music I was around Sat night, I had some cotton balls I used to help pad the sound, plus it was 12 hours later.

I have to wait nearly another 2 hours before I can get the doc's office. I thought about buying some ear cleaner, but somehow I'm doubting it will help. :(

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn. Well, the loud music probably had something to do with it and you might have an ear ache/infection as well, you never know.

That's the problem with going to clubs and concerts, everything is so damn loud, you end up having your ears ringing the rest of the night. I've actually worn earplugs to concerts, they make a huge diffence - and at the sound levels you're being subjected to, you don't miss any of the songs. And your ears will thank you for it later.

D :D

5. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Ask an experience audio engineer

I'm one.

Go to check that to a doctor, it is not dangerous but you may have something in it.

The ringing in your ear starts because a chemical reaction between your sensor hairs and the connections that go to your brain.

The ringing can be produced by different factors even with just being drunk. Loud music is a commom factor. The chemics in your ears get scrumble and the reaction of thta is that sound for a few hours.

It can go away as it came with no concequences, it can happen while one is groing up but if you want to be sure go to see a doctor. He will probably won't find nothing because that is an area that he can no tell but you may have an insect or something in it, that is all he can check. If the noise persist most surely will go away it self.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

It's happened to me more times than I can count (or remember, for that matter)... and real "severe" ones like you about 2 or 3.. going to a doctor wouldn't hurt, but I just left it alone, and it was gone in about a week. Yeah, that bad. Oh well, at least I learned to sleep despite the ringing...

irmongoose

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

8. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm pretty aware of loud music. I know it wasn't fool proof, but I did manage to scoop a couple cotton balls to help aid my ears the other night. Thing is, even though I know this isn't the best thing, I had zero ringing when I left. This started up over 12 hours after, which I found to be really weird.

I have a doc's appt. tomorrow morning though. I could have gone today, but there will be an audiologist there tomorrow. I hope this isn't anything serious... :(

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not a doctor nor do i play one on Tv, but i would guess fluid behind the tympanic membrane and if so sometimes you can use a hairdryer and blow into the ear canal for about 5 minutes on a very warm setting. If you get relief then you know that was it and then use a over the counter cold medicine to dry up that fluid. If not then you could have a wax build up on the outside of the tympanic membrane which usually needs to be flushed out with warmwater hydrogen pyroxide solution. 3rd cause actual infection of the ear canal so if you dont get help from my first suggestion its probably off to the DR for you! I was a corpsman in the navy and delt with this stuff on a daily basis.

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm pleased to hear that you are going to see a physician tomorrow. :) Please don't try any home remedies, the sense of hearing is very precious. Listen to your doctor's reccomendation, please! ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, I would second that wdlove - don't try anything until you have someone actually look at it. I could be something simple, but you won't know for sure and its not worth messing around with.

Good luck :D

D

12. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

thanks for all of the advice...I've managed to get a bit used to the sounds...

certain tones emit this whistle in my ear now...driving w/the road noise also is quite weird...the shower...

heh...I guess I'm used to it right now because I'm in a room of 8 computers...as well as a film output device...and direct plate maker...not to mention the plate burner & developer... :eek: :D ;)

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I once saw Steve Vai play in about '93 Newport Wales U.K. and I've heard a lot of loud bands and all, but on this occasion it really shot my head to bits. LOUD it was still ringing two days later. It must have been the shape of the hall or where I was stood. seriously, I was wondering what the hell had happened to my ears. It was good though because I got to hear Devin Townsend pre Strapping Young Lad.
    New album out yesterday by the way - way hay!

just ignore this if yer confused

14. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I already have ban hearing and I am only 15. My ears seem to be
    clogged a lot. Yawning doesnt help, but occasionally Ill be chewing
    on something, and suddenly my ear will 'de-clog' and I can hear
    normally, but that doesnt happen too often. Is there anything
    I can do about this?

15. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

weird...

so I spent about 27 hours with this damned ringing/hollow/tunneled sound in my ear...

now it's gone...heh... :rolleyes:

still going to the doc tomorrow...wanna see if everything is ok... ;)

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I once had both my ears plug up to the point that I couldn't hear anything unless someone yelled. I tried everything from hot water to hydrogen peroxide. Nothing worked. I finally went out and got a Murine Ear Wax Removal Kit. The stuff that came out of my ear belonged in the poop thread. Huge disgusting chunks of crap. Well immediatley after my ears were fine. I use the stuff about once a year to once every other year now. Definitely worth keeping your ears clean. Remember though you can keep them too clean leaving you open to infection.

[edit] I just wanted to note that the time between when my ears started doing strange things (i.e. ringing, plugging, sensitivity going in and out) and the time they finally plugged completely up in both ears was about 3 months.[/edit]

17. Xero macrumors 6502

wow, this is interesting because my left ear just clogged up about a week ago, and as im going into sound design, this really gave me a scare. but i knew it was from wax build up. NEVER USE CUTIPS for cleaning your ears. :D what it does is just push the wax deeper into your ear canal, and eventually builds up to where it plugs. thats what happened to me, so i went about 24 hours, before getting to a doctor, of only being able to hear out of my right ear, VERY weird. those cotten balls MIGHT have pushed wax deeper into your ears.

scem0, this could be exactly what your experiencing, go to the doctor or even a walk-in clinic and just ask if you can have your ears checked out. if they end up flushing them with water/hydrogen. it makes a WORLD of difference, believe me.:)

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Good to hear (ha, sorry) that your ear unclogged itself. Good call on going to the doc anyway.

Good luck,

D

19. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

It's probably tinnitus. It's actual hearing damage. Those tiny nerve fibers in your inner ear that actually turn soundwaves into electrical impulses that go to your brain are not able to recover from audio assaults like concerts, stereos, and the like. Most likely culprits.
    I know, I have it too. I was a machine gunner in the Army and my ear drums have taken a beating. It used to take days for my hearing to recover from training exercises.
    Also, try not to use headphones too often. They compound the problem. If you do use them keep the volume way low. Just give your ears a break and it should subside in time.

20. iGav macrumors G3

I had tinnitus for a month after seeing PWEI in 94......

The Jesus and Marychain were also notorious for having gigs that were too loud to be legal!!

Wicked!!

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Re: weird...

That is the a smart idea to followup with your physician. Let us know what he has to say! ;)

22. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Re: weird...

yeah...I got back a little while ago...

so my doc narrowed it down to fluid buildup/sinus problems...I don't usually get sick...and I have terrible sinuses...

living in New Orleans doesn't help either....but whatever...

I told him about the music...but since it wasn't immediate he ruled it out...I don't doubt I may incur tinnitis from time to time...but not in this case...

so I need to keep my sinuses in check...I got some nasal spray & another prescription for Allegra D to take everyday...

:D

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey glad to hear it wasn't something worse. You should try wearing some earplugs next time you go to a concert of club and see if they make any difference.

D :D

24. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

well, try not to get too upset until after your
    visit. sometimes we get the scariest symptoms
    and they turn out to be NORMAL according to
    the men/women in white coats...keep us informed.

p.s. ask the neighbors if their blowing on a dog
    whistle....maybe you have really GOOD hearing.
    :D i try.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree with Duke, wearing earplugs at concerts would be a good idea. Would also prevent hearing loss! ;)