have u ever had food poisoning?

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Feb 19, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

So I'm home sick today...left work early yesterday...woke up yesterday feeling pretty funky. I went to a family party Sunday afternoon, had a bunch to eat and left feeling fine. All day Monday I was fine as well.

Yesterday I wake up just not feeling right. Throughout the day it progresses, I have no appetite and an achy stomach. I finally force myself to eat half of my lunch, some alka seltzer & diet coke. Later in the day I start getting these chills & develop a headache, and I feel like I have a fever.

After a while I decide I cannot continue like this, so I go home early and get straight into bed. I've been in bed since about 5:45 last night. I thought I had a flu of some sort, till I found out that most of the people at the party on Sunday are also home sick, feeling just as I am. Most of them are throwing up, but for some freakish reason, I almost never throw up.

I've looked it up on webmd.com, and many of the symptoms listed are what I'm experiencing. So the question goes, anyone ever had food poisoning? What did u do to get over it?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Food poisoning is common. Most cases are shortlived and go unreported.

My most "memorable" food poisoning incident was after a dinner at the Monorail Cafe at Disneyland, a number of years ago. We were a party of four and two of us got sick that night. Being the scientific type, even when I'm sick, I tried to deduce what part of the meal was the cause. We had ordered various items, some of us overlapping what others ate, but there was no single item that the "sickies" ate and the "healthies" didn't eat. So we never found out. I phoned the cafe to let them know that something had been wrong with their food. They apologized and said they would send me some coupons. They took my address but never sent them.

3. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I've never had food poisoning. It sounds like it is not pleasant.

I did have a pretty bad cold, may have been the flu during Christmas. That kind of sucked.

Hope you get well soon! :D

4. charboneau macrumors member

eye, what you have doesn't sound like food poisoning. Food poisoning, from what I know and what I've experienced involves vomiting. Or a lot coming out the other end in addition.

5. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I had it once after eating some bad lasagna. That was probably the worst week of my life. For about a day, I was fine, but the next morning I woke up sick as a dog. The first few days of it, you feel like you are going to die and then about the fourth day you feel better, and by about a week, you're pretty much back to normal.

6. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I agree with u...however...everyone else who is sick from Sunday is doing those said things. I k now it's weird, but I don't vomit...ever. As for the other end...I'm not sure what's gonna come of that just yet... :eek:

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

That sounds like what happened to me twice. Either that, or it was some other physical drawback.

One: On the dark, early morning of April 8, 2000, I woke with such an upset stomach my dinner from last night ended up on my rug. I was afraid to make any sudden moves for about three days, unless it was to the Jon.

Two: On Easter morning, March 31, 2002, I ended up sending last night's dinner and possibly a lot of my meals from the day before in the Jon three times from around 2AM to 7AM. I was wide awake from midnight of that morning from then and was not well for a while.

I was always told it was a "stomach virus". So is this the same thing or different than food poisoning?

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Food poisoning? Ugh. Airline food drives me nuts! I got it TWICE on both legs of a round-trip international flight with Canadian Airlines (merged with Air Canada). Most disgusting food ever! I also had food poisoning due to horrible food at my old high-school's cafeteria. Yuck.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

never had food poisoning before. I hope I never do... doesn't
    sound too fun. My mom got food poisoning once, and she was
    forced to stay in bed for 2 days, and was still sick after that. :(

10. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Same here, but my dad did in college. He was sick as a dog for almost a month, and refuses to eat chicken now.

11. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

refuse?!?!?! to eat chickin??!!?! AHHHHHHH ;) :p

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Read the medical websites on flu symptons vs food poisoning.

The food poisoning explanations usually point the so-called "stomach flu" as really a case of food poisoning. Since the flu doesn't affect your intestines.

Think of all the people that miss work due to stomach flu per year.

---

If you do get a bad case of food poisoning, your body defense mechanism can kick in and you develop a mild to major reaction to the food that made you sick in the future.

Not quite an allergic reaction, but you can develop some interesting reactions to the food in the future. :eek:

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

For whatever reason, though, this seems to happen to me during the time of the change of seasons (winter to spring). Possibly where we live there may be some food going bad during that time.

Of course, on that Easter, I had WAY too much junk food. :)

14. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

almost back to normal...

Well, I've spent likely a total of about 34 hours in bed since Tuesday evening, and I'm close to normal. My stomach has stopped aching so much, I'm starting to feel a bit more energy again (probably due to my having actually eaten a small bit of bread last night for dinner), but my head was pounding when I woke up around 5 am.

I have a bagel toasting right now, and I'm hoping I can eat something a bit more substancial today for lunch. I still have not vomitted or anything, but I'm feeling so much better today. I'm wondering if my headache has anything to do with the fact that I have not had any coffee or diet coke since Monday? ;)

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Crackers and Ginger Ale. They were about the only things I could keep down for the first few days. After that, some mashed potatoes (no gravy) and oatmeal will get some energy back in you.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey Eye, hope you're feeling better. If its a mild case of food poisoning, then you'll just have to wait it out. If you continue to feel bad, you might want to talk to a doctor. Caffene withdrawl headaches happen after only a couple days, I've gone through them plenty of times. Just drink lots of water and take it easy.

D

17. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

yeah...I'm getting there...

actually felt better earlier today than I do now...my stomach is still acting up...

don't wanna each much...so I picked up some houmous & baba ganoush for lunch...only ate a little bit...

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better. Taking it slow and listening to your body is the best medicine. Rest and drink plenty of fluids. Keep us posted about your progress! ;)

19. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

21. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

It could very easily have been food poisoning. About a year ago my fiancé and I got some bad sausages. She was laid up for about 72 hours vomiting and pooping (lol, she would kill me if she read this), but I only got sick for about 3 hours. My theory is that I have had food poisoning several times, and while you never get immune to botulinum, I think maybe my body was a little more prepared to handle it.

Long story short (too late) maybe some people just don't get hit as hard as others. Just remember to get some breath mints.

;)

Regards,
    Gus

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

never food poisoning but food allergies. poisoning sounds worse...but you're better off at the end.
    once i had such an allergic reaction to celery (don't even ask) i just fell unconscious.

23. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Never had food poisoning and have no allergies that I know of.

I guess I'm lucky...

Sorry about your illness. Get well soon.

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

lucky lucky lucky. are you sure?