Have we all been too hard on Microsoft?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sigamy, Apr 3, 2006.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

I was listening to the TWIT podcast the other day and they were talking about how Vista (consumer edition) is being delayed-again. They also mentioned how Vista is going to have almost nothing new as the new filesystem and many of the other big enhancements have been pulled.

My initial thought was to laugh, yet again, at M$'s incompetence. But then I got to thinking...M$ actually hasn't done *that* bad of a job when you really think about it. Look at all the failed attempts to build the next gen Mac OS through the 90s. We had Taligent and Pink and Copland and whatever else.

While most people look back on MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 as a joke, these were widely used in corporate america, especially Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Then came NT for corps and Win95 for the home users. You almost have to look at the Win95-->Vista time frame as the same as the System 7.5--->Tiger timeframe in the Mac world.

So from Fall of 1994 to present Apple went from System 7.5 to Mac OS 8.0, to Mac OS 9/9.1 to Rhapsody, Jaguar, Panther and Tiger.

In the same time frame M$ went from MS-DOS/Win 3.1 to Win95, Win98/WinME, WinNT, Win2000 and Win XP.

Microsoft had a much larger installed base, drastically larger 3rd party support issues (both software compatibility and hardware drivers), and the internet boom to deal with while creating their new OS's. Probably bigger issues than Apple had to overcome. On the other hand, M$ had billions of dollars to throw at development. But, anyone who does software dev knows that more money/more bodies isn't always the answer.

If the roles were reversed and Apple held 80% market share in the late 90s do we think Apple would have or would be doing a better job than M$ of getting new, stable and back-wards compatible OSs out the door?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Apple obviously has some advantages in terms of fewer obstacles and more flexibility. Microsoft also has come out with a lot of features that Apple eventually incorporated later, like fast user switching, protected memory, and features Apple has yet to incorporate, like DVR functionality.

Given their different markets, also, they have been able to focus on different things. Apple can focus on the experience of using an entire product. Microsoft has to focus on being open where it fits their business model and being closed where it fits there model. Not surprisingly, it's going to end up less consistent.

Overall, if their roles and circumstances were reversed, I don't think they'd be exactly reversed, but Apple would probably resemble Microsoft more than it's current self, I think.

3. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, not really.

Well, yes both companies have had their ups & downs...but M$ has had a whole heck of a lot more downs and much less ups than Apple has. :)

5. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Actually

I don't feel sorry for M$. Why? Because when Win95 first introduced, Apple tried to sue M$ for coypin' their "trash can" (because of recycle bin). It never happened so... let M$ suffer for EU and their next gen OS, too! :D

**EXCEPT XBOX and XBOX 360 because of HALO :p

6. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Microsoft could scrap their OS, and build a new one from the ground up. I know they have to provide legacy support but if microsoft said all of the companies (software and hardware) had to rewrite to make compatible, they would all do it. eventually.

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, let M$ suffer for their blatant ripping off of Apple's glorious "Trash" can! ;) :D

8. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Definately not.

Windows XP is one of the most overpriced crappy operating systems I have used. $300 to install XP Pro? Tiger is $130!!! And it actually works!

I was reading this and I saw that Windows Vista won't include the Aero transparency unless you buy one of the "Professional" packages.

Activation sucks.

Windows Installer barely works... half the time it would get to 97% and just stop.

Network Neighborhood (or whatever its called now) freezes everytime you click "View Workgroup Computers".

Confuses people and eventually it all comes to me. I am definately the smartest computer user in my school (after the IT guy who is never there) and all I hear is "Mike whered i save my project", "mike why is word taking so long to load?"

Edit: Forgot to say that it crashes all the time.

In conclusion, they suck, we haven't been hard enough on them, and their suckiness makes more work for everyone else.

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Perhaps this would be the best course of action for Microsoft.
    But that might require some actual thinking and developing by Redmond. :eek: :rolleyes: :)

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You can get OEM versions of Windows XP Pro for ~$130 (check out newegg.com ).

Figures, M$ making you pay for what should be included standard.

OH YA! I hated having to activate windows. :rolleyes: :mad:

So many bad expereiences with Windows "Installer".

The one thing that Windows does better than Mac OS X- confuses the heck out of them! :D ;)

Ah, but the blue screen of death is so pretty! ;) :)

You seem to have hit the nail on the head; M$ sucks- for the most part, they have done some good things. I would list them, but I can't think of any. :rolleyes: :)

11. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Why would I want to? :)

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No reason. I was just trying to show that you don't have to spend $300 in order to get a copy of XP Pro.

But ya, why would anyone want to actually pay to use windows?! :rolleyes: :)

13. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I don't feel sorry for them what so ever. Microsoft has been asking for it, if you ask me. Its not my fault they suck.

14. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Yes, I Agree. IMO Microsoft should scrap windows, and rebuild with UNIX as a foundation, then work upwards to a new OS.

Worked for Apple, could work for Microsoft

15. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Sweetfeld28, Pardon me...
    I read your sig about your mac, I didn't know if my "computer spec" is rare but I noticed we both have: PowerMac G4 1.42 Dual Processors with 2x Apple Studio Display (do u have 17"s ... I have 17"s). :D and I already maxed out RAMs and 2 combo/superdrive. GeForce Ti 128. You? :D

Ok back to Windows... one main problem with this is...their DVD app sucks. I mean DELL DVD player sucks! *HUGE INTERFACE!!** I mean, Apple DVD player is the best one I've ever seen. My main reason I like is because it support 2 different "subtitles": DVD Subtitle and TV Caption. They're the best! Hooray for Apple! :)

16. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

actually the windows marketing must be good because people buy into their deception...

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, M$ does pretty well at sucking on their own. ;) :)

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While Dell DVD player does indeed suck, there are some good windows DVD players out there. Judging M$ by the bundled DVD player that Dell ships on their PeeCees does not seem very fair. :eek:

19. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Ok ok I might be a bit rough but the last time I played DVD player on Windows... whenever I inserted the DVD movie, there's a popup that say do you want to install this new DVD player app? This sucks too. :cool: Can you name me one of their good dvd player and I can check it out? Thanks! :p

20. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

PowerDVD is REALLY good. I consider OS X DVD Player mediocre at best, and I'm a huge Mac fan...

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

When I had my PC, I used to use intervideo WinDVD (I think that is what it was called). Works a heck a lot better than Dell's version. :)

22. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

Now someone said windows crashes all the time

i have had my pc for about 3 years and not once has it crashed

*it has been reformatted a few times in between then*

but yet still it has not crashed...

and then the funny thing is i was in pc world had ago on a G5 imac dunno what i done to it but if i didnt know any better it had crashed i pressed every button and combinations etc... to try and get it to work,,, it didnt so i just casuly walked away:cool:

23. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Tiger is $130? Then try buying a Apple Hardware without OS X preinstalled. You've already paid for the OS when you bought the hardware. The upgrade is $130.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I lost count of how many times that I had to reformat our families PeeCees. Such a pain in the butt! :rolleyes:

But after switching to Mac, not one problem (**knocks on wood**). :)

25. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Yeah, the thought of being too hard on MS occasionally runs through my mind, but never for very long....when you see stuff like this...