Have we figured out Bootcamp +External FW drive yet?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MovieCutter, Nov 15, 2006.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've found conflicting info, some say it works, others say it doesn't. Have we found the procedure to booting to XP off an external FW hard drive yet?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A process is well documented for the MacBook where you need to remove the internal drive.

EDIT: I missed the FW bit. I don't think anyone is actively working on a FW mod to the XP install CD.

B

3. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There was a recent post about an alternate method which requires performing most of the install on a PC first then moving the drive to an external enclosure. Let me see if I can find it.

B

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

any luck finding it?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No. Not then or now. :( I hope I didn't just imagine it.

B

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

has anyone tried to install OS X on the FW drive, and then boot into that, and then install with bootcamp?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Won't work. Even with USB, the problem is that Windows turns off and reloads the USB and FW drivers partway through boot. The USB patch makes sure they stay loaded.

Parallels is the way to go if you must keep Windows on an external.

B

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

oh, but i thought on PC's with certain BIOS, that you could boot on USB?

but even if you could, i guess it wouldn't apply anyways.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The USB boot present in certain BIOSes makes the drives temporarily look like internals, it's also related to why you need to remove the internal drive from the MacBooks when trying to perform the documented USB install... If you can make the USB drive the only drive, Windows has no choice but to keep it mounted.

Bottom line is that Windows XP is not designed to boot from any external drive, unless you go through semi-heroic means. (The ngine patch or turning your XP into a PE a la BartsPE).

EDIT: Let me rephrase that a bit. Windows XP is designed to not be easily bootable on any external drive. (I think this move is a deliberate one by Microsoft since it would allow for "portable" XP installs which go counter to their business model.).

B