Have you beaten Mac Chess?

Discussion in 'Games' started by The_Dood, Mar 5, 2004.

1. macrumors member

There was another thread about beating chess that ended last year, but I'm just curious if there's anyone out there recently who has beaten the computer in a game of chess? I was always unbeatable when playing against my friends, but so far I'm something like 0 for 40 against the damn machine, and its always a fast death. :eek:

2. macrumors regular

Nope, I'm not terrible, but even at the lower levels i find it extremely difficult.

3. macrumors 603

wordmunger

No. I have never, ever beat any sort of computerized chess game. If chess wasn't so boring, I might make it my mission in life to finally beat the computer.

4. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm pretty sure that game will beat the world's number one and the best chess computer there is (contradiction of sorts!)!!!!

And I've got it on the default "easy" setting (slider most of the way to left). I'm not too bad at chess either. So far, neither me, my brother or my dad have managed to beat it. It comes up with some very clever moves and never falls for anything.

5. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have been trying 1 game a day for a while now and nada. I've come close (down to pawns and Kings) but the damn thing always wins in the end.

I haven't given up :D

D

6. macrumors 6502a

I almost won one time and got distracted which resulted in my death 3 round afterward...

When you play againts a human, you can count on him to do one mistake during the course of the game. With the computer, you cant and even worst: if you do a mistake, it will see it and use it againts you!

Good luck!

7. macrumors newbie

Are you talking about "MacChess", or "Chess"?

Are you talking about "MacChess", or "Chess"?. In MacChess, I can beat it perdictably at Easy Level Four. Hah! (I started at Easy Level One, but you can set it at an even easier level: Random Moves!!!)

(Plus, MacChess is just a much sweeter game to play then Chess.)

8. macrumors 68000

russed

i have tried and failed many many times, so i have given up trying as chess is boring!

9. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Is macchess the one that comes with the iMac's? IF so, I have never come close...either way I have never come close. :(

10. macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i heard it cheats and moves pieces when you're not looking.

11. macrumors 65816

yesterday i was driving from school with a couple of buds in the car they were playing on my mac to pass time (5 hour drive which i did all of the driving)

so they played about 4-5 games they never one a single game they also cheated by taking back some moves
    one of them was a 3rd board on his chess team in high school

12. macrumors 6502a

13. macrumors 65816

whocares

I suggest a Chess tournament: let's get our Macs playing against each other and see who has the brightess Mac :p :D :D

Kasparov disqualified on the grounds that he will beat the crap out of every Mac. :eek:

14. macrumors newbie

Get it straight: MacChess vs Chess

"MacChess" is a free download (Download.com), that runs in Classic, and has levels that you can actually beat, and work your way up to harder levels. It will give you hints, and easily lets you flip board, take back moves etc.

"Chess" is the app that comes with OSX, and that, even in the EASIEST setting, hardly anyone has ever beaten. No wonder it seems boring.

15. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    iv seen it done once, but this person didnt play the game in a aday it was over a period of weeks where each move they would carefully study with chess books hehe

16. macrumors 6502

haha, this is good to know. I thought I was really crappy for always losing out to the cpu on easy. Never have won

17. macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I did beat the chess application that comes with all new Mac's, once. Even tho I'm like 1-500 against it I did get my one victory.

18. &RU
    macrumors member

Chess Cheats.

The last time I played, it cheated. I placed the computer in check mate, and promptly jumped up and celebrated with one of the greatest victory dances ever to be seen by man - fortunately I was alone at the time. Upon my return, my mac thumbed its nose at me and proceeded to castle out of checkmate. Which is entirely illegal where I come from - maybe it plays by Aussie rules.

Needless to say I have not played since... cheater.

19. macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

The world's top players consistently beat the world's best chess programs, regardless of what computer they're running on.

Check out Garry Kasparov's last tournement against the top chess program (Fritz).

http://www.chesslab.com/PositionSearch.html

Just enter Kasparov as white and the year 2003, select his game against Fritz where the score is 1-0, and watch a chess master destroy the computer :D

The programs have two advantages against these top players - they never make mistakes (even the top players slip up occasionally) and they don't get tired.

20. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

Yes, and here is how:
    Like most computer chess games, they tend to flounder around when there is no clear move that will increase it's odds of winning. So, try to limit it's good moves not by being unconventional (because it will destroy you) but rather by laying traps where it cannot gain advantage no matter where it moves. While it goes nutty, you slowly set a winning offense. There are a lot of methods, but I use the "pawn wall" by advancing with Queen-side pawns. Be sure to cover the forward pawns with Queen, bishop and knight, making a self-contained box for it to move in circles. NEVER use Sicilian anything. Controlling the middle only will eventually see you dead. At least I have never won using that method. (FYI: I HAD a master ranking, but gave up because tournament chess is detrimental to your physical AND mental health!)

21. macrumors 68000

agreenster

Wow. You know a lot about chess. I know the general rules. I guess I've always just seen it as a finite game to a certiain extent. At some point, someone shall discover the unbeatable method. Umm. At least, thats what I think. Umm. Yep.

22. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

That's kind. But in the "chess world" I am little more than an idiot! It's like golf. Best game ever, and I'm not bad. But compared to a pro I might as well be bowling.
    One other thing, I learned computer chess vulnerabilities by watching Kasparov play Deep Blue a long time ago. A few months ago he played another, more advanced computer, and the tecnique was VERY well documented during (if I recall correctly) the third game, which Kasparov won. Do a Google and get the move list and you will see.

23. macrumors 68030

Les Kern

For those interested (okay, there MAY be a few of you!), I found the link that will explain what I mentioned above, and you can play the game itself (Almost makes me want to start playing again... nah. But it MIGHT help you beat the Mac):
    http://www.x3dchess.com/news/analysis/kasparovx3dfritzall.htm
    (Select Game 3)
    And a quote from the analysis:
    "Ironically, X3D Fritz was reaching incredible search depths because there are so few legal moves in this closed position. It was like casting a powerful searchlight into a black hole. Even reaching 19 half-moves ahead it couldn't find the essential plan."

24. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I've beaten it in the unstable Os 10.2 version... (did they revamp it in panther)...

I've never beat it based on my own very low skill level... I am horrible, ech.

25. macrumors regular

yeah i beat it once but never again it is a pain in the bum, make it more fun though by using the voice commands to move your pieces and take opponents pieces although be on your own when doing it people think ur wird talking to your mac. :(