Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badehette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2002
Norway
I'm going to the Caribbean for christmas, and on my way down from Norway I'll make a stop at Miami International for a few hours and change plane. Do they have a shop in the duty-free where I can buy RAM for my powerbook ??
I'm flying BWIA from Miami, and have no idea which gate I'll use, but maybe som of you know that ?

I'm leaving in under a week, and just thought of the possibility of getting some cheap duty-free memory, compact flash cards and so on...

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
I was in Miami International maybe two years ago, and I didn't see anything. I'd HIGHLY doubt theres any place to buy RAM, at least, I've never seen it in any airport here, in Europe, or South America.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I was there in Feb. and stayed 10 mins. from the airport.
There are several small shops that sold all kinds of computer stuff.
If you had some time you could take a walk "if" that small plaza is still there and pick some up somewhat cheap ;) if it was like a 4hr wait till your next flight then go to down town (15 mins from airport) and some shops take offers. My friend bought notebook mem. when we went and this one place was $20 cheaper than the Best Buy even with rebate.
Good luck and enjoy the beaches-- :D

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Worst Airport Ever. I can't stand that airport, find somewhere to go and stay there, don't bother wandering around looking for any sort of high-priced shops, they don't exist.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Gathering that you have ample time, I would take a short very short trip down town and visit a electronics store.

Research the place and have a map handy that way there is no wasted time.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
I don't think they sell RAM in the Duty Free stores... I go through that airport at least once a month, and haven't seen anything. Haven't looked for it either, though. Most Duty Free stores only sell perfumes, booze, watches and cigarretes. The only place I've seen that sold nice electronic gear is the Auckland intl airport in New Zealand. Other than that, and specially in the US, I haven't seen a nice duty-free electronics store on an airport.

Worst Airport Ever. I can't stand that airport, find somewhere to go and stay there, don't bother wandering around looking for any sort of high-priced shops, they don't exist.

Off-topic, but I agree with that one. I hate that airport. I used to think it was the worst airport ever, but then I had to fly three times in the last two months to Boston... Logan airport is worst. Two out of three times there were so many people at the AA counter that 30 min. before my flight left (to miami, BTW...) a guy came through the long line to pick up people for that flight, we were taken to a another counter for checkin, and then we barely made it to the plane because of the long line to get through the security checkpoint. It was really, really bad.

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Well other than it taking over 10 years of construction and the fact that heavily armed guards searched my trunk that time and some other stuff, its not that bad of an airport... I prefer Ft. Lauderdale and LAX, well... LAX is f'n awesome... I doubt there were any stores to buy ram there tho.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
hahahahahahha! definitely NOT what i thought this thread was going to be about... i have never seen duty-free RAM. isnt it just cheaper to order online anyway? just get some duty-free liquor... :D

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Off topic also, but note that your bag probably won't be checked through all the way to the caribbean (even if they tell you it is). At miami, you have to go get your bags from the reclaim and take them through security and check them onto the connecting flight in the transfer area. Spent a very hot 24hours in Barbados in my London winter clothes, waiting for my bag to arrive on the next day's flight because I assumed it was checked through
:mad:

Pilgrims Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2003
Gee said:
Off topic also, but note that your bag probably won't be checked through all the way to the caribbean (even if they tell you it is). At miami, you have to go get your bags from the reclaim and take them through security and check them onto the connecting flight in the transfer area. Spent a very hot 24hours in Barbados in my London winter clothes, waiting for my bag to arrive on the next day's flight because I assumed it was checked through
:mad:

This is very true, you will have to get your bags go through customs and then re check your bags. A real pain in the neck.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
in general, i find any duty free stores to not be a terribly good deal. sure, there's no tax, but they sell most of their stuff at (overpriced) retail prices anyway, so in the end, they are usually no better than discounted prices with regular taxes you can find elsewhere...

i've seen some flash memory cards on sale, but i've never seen RAMs...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
m a y a said:
Gathering that you have ample time, I would take a short very short trip down town and visit a electronics store.

Research the place and have a map handy that way there is no wasted time.

Research is right. There are lots of small stores that will gouge you. It's also handy to know Spanish well, so you will know what they're not telling you in English. ;)

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
jxyama said:
in general, i find any duty free stores to not be a terribly good deal. sure, there's no tax, but they sell most of their stuff at (overpriced) retail prices anyway, so in the end, they are usually no better than discounted prices with regular taxes you can find elsewhere...

i've seen some flash memory cards on sale, but i've never seen RAMs...

Well, duty free stores might not be a good deal for you, but for us Norwegians a lot of wares sold in foreign countries are really cheap. And duty free is even better, even if it's overpriced. Tobacco and alchohol are the best deals though, since we have really high taxes on that stuff over here.

But RAM at an airport? Don't think so.

@badehette: Jul i Karibien? Snakker vi innføring av nye, originale tradisjoner? ;) Jeg var på Cuba tidligere i år, og det var helt fantastisk. Hvor skal du?

For all non-Norwegian speaking here, sorry 'bout that ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.