Have You Built Any Model Kits...

Discussion in 'Community' started by pimentoLoaf, Mar 5, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No! The last time was when I was a teenager back in the early 60's. An enjoyable pastime.

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

every other week or so, my friend and i work on a 12" inch monterey clipper fishing boat model made primarily from balsa wood and from scratch without plans

but since 1995, we have also worked on a couple of 24" inch balsa purse seiner boat models from kits but modifying the design a little

in the late 80s, i built some plastic wwII fighter planes

and in the 70s i built many plastic model ships (hms king geoge v, uss enterprise, uss missouri, uss arizona, ssn nautilus, uss enterprise nuclear carrier, uss essex, and a few others) and plastic model wwII aircraft (stuka, folke wolf, me-109, zero, mustang, thunderbolt, flying fortress, lightning, and many more)

i never got into plastic model cars because they were too hard...if i got something slightly wrong on a wwII ship or airplane, almost no one would notice...but get anything wrong on a '65 mustang or 240z car and then everybody and their mother will be able to see your mistake

i really respect the car modelers who can literally make a plastic car model look like a mini version of the real thing down to the leather seats and the auto glass

3. brap macrumors 68000

Sigh. nope.

All my models and stuff are at my father's house. I'd love to be able to switch off for a while and fix all those little projects I started when I was 13... I have a good few hundred pounds worth of 4mm locos in bits waiting to be airbrushed, detailed, soldered, glued back, filled, repaired.

4. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Do legos count?
    Lego Drive
    That was the last thing that I did.

5. pimentoLoaf thread starter macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I was trying to list all the ones I did, and every few days I'd remember something else that got purchased, and either is still boxed or was partially built.

Found a few tanks and planes unbuilt in a drawer, and staring back at me from a dusty shelf is a painted but not glued Battlestar fighter from the original series -- I dusted it off, washed it, added some details and it now sits drying its glued self off in another room, soon-to-be ready for a bit more paint and...

Wander to http://www.finescale.com for some nice reviews and forums.