Have you done a plastic surgery on your face?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Oct 26, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Have you done this? I am not sure of the typical cost of surgery and the typical healing period. Many people have may reasons for this type of surgery. But, if I do this, it would be from my "perfectionism" I tend to strive.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for the post. Care to elaborate your thoughts on this?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're really unhappy with your appearance you should see a therapist, not a plastic surgeon.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Surgery prompted by a desire for perfection is unlikely to achieve its aim, in my opinion. We see our own physical imperfections far more than others do.

6. POHeerwig macrumors member

If you have a problem with perfectionism, "maybe" you should start with this: start finding a way to love "yourself" for who you are. Those things that you think are flaws...*shrug* who cares? It's part of what made you who you are. It's your part of the great "character" of who YOU are! Why would you do that? I mean, I can understand if you have a scar you want to fix...or something that just 'happened' to you and you want to put yourself back to your true original state...but other than that, and this is my own personal belief...when you accept who you are, you will really and truly think you're just incredibly gorgeous/handsome/pretty, whatever!

What is the saying?...(I'm sure that "someone" will correct me:) Beauty is 10% what you're given and 90% what you believe you are (ie. confidence in YOURSELF). I have a wonky nose that is totally my mom's & the truth is...it's not the "best" thing in the world...but I've come to the realization that it's just part of who "I" am. And I think I'm a pretty cool person in the end. I try to do right, laugh at things and sincerely care about others. ;)

Ok, on a bit of a lecture here...but I'm sure that no matter WHAT you look like...you're a terrific person.

Lastly: Read Psychocybernetics first. :)

;)

7. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Rhinoplasty is perhaps the only plastic surgery you could do to really improve your face, as other procedures could make you look like a freak if taken too far. There's the risk that your mental image of yourself could be radically different from reality.

Just look at Michael Jackson, Jocelyn Wilderstein and others.

Good plastic surgeries include Julie Chen

[​IMG]

and Sarah Jessica Parker.

8. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for the positive and construcitve posts. I appreciate that. Especially, your post scared the f*** out of me. I know MJ would be the poster boy of what went wrong with the excessive plastic surgery. I know I cannot afford 1 % of what he has spent on the jobs he've got. But, I think some minor touch ups here and there would improve the looks well. I admit "minor touch ups" can be interpreted different depending on persons. However, the plastic surgery to make you Brad Pitt would be too much (which may turns into what MJ has gone through).
    I do hear some executives do get some cosmetic surgery to improve his/her looks to get ahead.
    I know my mom would be disgusted with me if I do this to myself.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

DON'T DO IT. If they're only "minor touch-ups", why bother?

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I had my nose reconstructed when I broke it for the third time
    it looked straight and I could breathe nicely but not a perfect nose by any means, then two years later I broke my nose again when a drunk guy head-butted me

Pain of the reconstruction was worse than original break with way more swelling, i had raccoon eyes for 5 weeks and lots of pain killers.
    was it worth it - in the end no, nose is rebroken, slightly crooked but I can breathe normally and all the little bone bits got taken out.

11. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I had my double chin removed (submental liposuction). I'm happy with it. It was about $900.

I'm in my mid 30s and otherwise pretty healthy and fit. The chin thing was genetic (all my sisters have one and they are tooth picks).

Recovery: 5 days after basically sucked because you have to wear the compression strap. After that you can go out in public again. Stops hurting after about a week.

I'd do it again. I wouldn't do anything on my face though. Harder to recover from that if something does not go right. But that's just me.

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

"Have you done a plastic surgery on your face?"

No... but if I did... I'd let a Doctor do it!

13. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

yes, I tried to get the dork removed, but they could not get it all. :(

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I had a guy in a bar parking lot fix that annoying straightness in my nose. Does that count?

15. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

All righty, then. I think that would be more for psychiatry than the cosmetic/plastic surgery. As the saying goes, dorks will be dorks. Or, dorks will do what dorks do.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Best post in a long time - thanks, a nice note to close the evening.

17. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I personally wouldn't get plastic surgery. Partly because I love my face, and also because I semi-disagree with the concept.

Like the guy who had the double-chin removed. I can see why you would have that done.
    But just "minor touchups". Not worth it.

18. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Yeah, outside an obvious disfigurement, you are who you are. You are beautiful. Here in my middle age, my hair has decided to seek greener pastures. I have looked at replcement, but in the end, I think I would rather just shave my head. The only thing more pathetic than a man losing his hair is man trying to hide the fact that he is losing his hair.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I have a habit of staying up late and there was a period of time when Melissa McDermott, the CBS News anchore, was gone for like three months. Before she left she looked 50 something; when she came back, she looked like 23 years old. :eek:

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not necessarily and just a little glib; it's easy to say for some people... I'm considering facial surgery for myself, the degree of which is undecided but would be a minimum of a rhinoplasty. However, the (alleged) pain and recovery time is also a deciding factor in what I end up doing.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Personally, BV, I think you're gorgeous as you are. But maybe that's just me... :eek:

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The nose job would be to fix what was broken many years ago when I had the **** kicked out of me once... there's some truth that it's a matter of self-perception but it's a complex thing and in my case, putting it solely down to vanity is not the full story.

Anyway, one thing at a time. Let's deal with what's coming up in about three weeks time first.

Thanks for the compliment. You're a lovely bloke too. :eek: :D

23. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I believe in facial surgery to an extent: reconstruction, damage repair (burns etc), trauma related (abuse etc), or people that understand and know what they are doing.

There is no point in trying to achieve perfection, as nothing in this world is perfect. There is near perfection, which is taken further by the use of Photoshop and crafty photography in the Celebrity world of the rich and famous. Even behind closed doors they are not ''perfect''.

You will never achieve something like perfection through facial surgery, dressing differently, or otherwise. These things will improve your confidence, which in turn can help you ''love'' and accept yourself more. I believe you can have surgery [for cosmetic reasons] if you go into it fully aware of what you want, with a game plan, and you don't sidetrack from it.

Lets say you don't like your nose, get your nose done. Then leave it. Don't come out and think ''Eyes next''. Why? They didn't bother you before?

Go and see at least 4 Doctors, and get an opinion from each of them on the surgery(ies) you want done.

Don't strive for perfection, you'll never achieve it. However if you feel there are minimal changes that you could make, small tweaks, then consider these (I would anyday).

People who look good with plastic surgery use it in small doses, upkeep if you like. They don't go an have everything sucked out, plumped up and reshaped at once. They pick small things, maybe a bump in the nose, and crows feet. They'll have the nose job once, and go maybe every 12months or so to get botox (in small doses) to keep everything looking fresh and healthy, not overdone and plastic.

Goodluck whatever you choose.

24. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Some people feel that fixing the physical problem also fixes the mental problem/trauma that can come along with abuse, or an event which hurt you in anyway.

Maybe its like closing the book, getting rid of the physical imperfection and getting rid of whats left behind from what happened. :rolleyes:

25. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I disagree, therapists are for the gullible. Get over yourselves and get on with it.
    The few people I know who've seen a therapist have not only spent a small fortune, they seemed to be in turmoil so much longer than friends who dealt with their own demons in private.
    Regarding the original post- you get old so get over it, gravity wins, eat well, exercise and there is always someone better looking than you.