Have you ever been hypnotized?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Apart from by seeing a fully-specced mini or a 30" cinema display, that is... :)

Have you ever used hypnosis to change your behaviour, whether by self-hypnosis or with a practitioner? Maybe to stop smoking or to change some other habit? Or even as a form of pain-control... what was it like?

Or if not you, then perhaps someone you might know. Even entertaining stories of stage hypnosis would be interesting...

If so, how did it end up working out, if at all, in the end?
  2. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Nope, not I. The closest I've come is seeing a couple of those staged events where members of the audience are put under and do some weird stuff.
  3. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Nope. And I don't think it's even possible with me. You need to hear for it to work, right?
  4. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Like Raven, I don't believe that it's possible for me to be hypnotized.
  5. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I can't do it either - too much "loss of control". The thought, for whatever reason, terrifies me.
  6. makisushi macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2004
    Northern VA
    I have never been hypnotized, but I love the shows...
  7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I was told by a hypnotist that anyone can be hypnotized, but you have to be willing.

I tried a group session once, but I just couldn't let myself relax enough to go under. It was really disturbing sitting there in a room full of hypnotized people and feeling so utterly alone.
  8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    I've done mild forms of self-hypnosis for years as part of meditation, it's an effective form of... Well, it's kind of like logging into your brain as root. It's great for looking at otherwise emotional issues, as well as behaviour modification. As for professionally... yes... once... it was not a good experience. At, I think it was a prom afterparty in HS, I was hypnotized as part of the group, then selected to go on stage... Only problem is, about halfway through it, I sort of woke up. Up until then I had been very slightly aware, but suddenly I was in full control again... right in the middle of a humorous demonstration. So, not wanting to look like a loser, I played along. Which was a real bitch when it came time for the post-hypnotic suggestion to kick in... but i'm a good actor :)
  9. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    (depending on definition) i don't think I have, but have been known to hypnotise my friends occasionally :D
  10. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I never have been hypnotized. My only connection would be that which I've observed on TV. Apparently in the hands of a trained licensed person it's very helpful for losing weight and to quit smoking.
  11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    about 15 years ago during a vacation i was hypnotized as part of a show. it was a very strange experience. first of all i remember everything. the magician never told me to forget anything. but i still don't remember how i was hypnotized. i just thought i would do whatever the guy said and that was it. it worked that way: he had about 20 people on the stage, would talk in english some meaningless stuff (listen, relax, trust me and such stuff) and walk up and down behind us. he would touch us once in a while and remove the not cooperating ones quickly. then he had about 6 or so of us hypnotized although we thought we still just did what he said because we wanted to do so. then he played all these silly games. he said we should do what we did back in elementary school. well, i did nothing but the girl next to me just turned around and smacked me in the face (she was embarrassed afterwards like hell. i should have used that to my advantage but i didn't....) then he selected the more deep hypnotized amongst us until only i was left. at that time i stopped breathing because he forgot to tell me to do so. he realized that and told me to breath so i survived :) . then he made me lay down on the floor and the put me with my heels on a chair and with my head on another so that i was a human bridge and he would walk over me. i could easily hold his weight. after that he woke me up although i wasn't asleep. i just started to do what i want as compared what he said.
    the lessons that i learned:
    its a cool feeling!
    never do that without somebody else around. be careful because you are totally at these guy's mercy!
    when people say they can't force you to do things you don't want they are wrong. if he had told me to pee of the stage into the audience i would happily have done so!
    all the time i thought i did what i want!
  12. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if there is someone on these forums who'll walk onto stage at the bite of a lemon...

You'll know what I mean if you know what I mean.
  13. chanoc macrumors 6502

May 20, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I am skeptical about people who hynotize others - skeptical thinking it's pseudoscience. Although I have had several waking dreams, freaking weird hallucinations due to the body going into shock from waking up. Waking dreams are the explanations of alien abduction scenarios, and other paranormal pseudoscience crap.
  14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    No need to be sceptical.

It's a well-observed and studied phenomenon... not the sort of thing you can lump in with astrology and crystals.

In fact, your rationality seems to reject and denigrate anything that may seem 'paranormal'. Your concious mind rests upon the knowing subconscious, the part of you that organises your thoughts.

You have no idea how you think, you don't have to worry about how your memories are organised... it just happens. That shows the limits of rationality...

Here's a brief overview...
  15. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Agreed. Hypnotism is definitely not at all pseuoscience - it's just a freaking weird-*** concept to think about. People are lithe to accept things that regard something about their mind that they cannot truly control.
  16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Sorry but your breathing is controlled by the unconscious part of your brain. You cannot control that part of the brain. It is a self-defense mechanism of survival-- you will keep yourself alive. You were not hypnotized to stop breathing.

Again, no. When hypnotized you are just in an altered state of mind. You will not do anything that you wouldn't allow yourself to do. If you believed in something then you wouldn't go against that. Say you are a vegetarian and have upheld that for a number of months. It is something that you're not going to forget. You will not eat a hamburger or other piece of meat. However if you were told that the hamburger was a salad, you would eat it. Because you are now thinking that it is something "safe" to eat and do, and not something "bad" to eat and do.

Apparently you would have no issues doing this while not hypnotized... :eek: Or at least, have no issues with this and the hypnotization merely unlocked your ability to do this.

You cannot be forced to do anything, because at any time you may break the hypnotization. You are still in control of yourself mentally and physically.

Our psychology class has gone through altered states of consciousness and I had to say that. I'm sorry if you feel like I'm personally attacking you-- I'm not. Just stating facts.
  17. cyanide macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2005
    i have been hyptonized for years..

i am under control of the RDF.. every time i hear the words "one more thing.." i whip out my wallet and go to Apple.com...its friggin weird. anyone that can help me? :(
  18. Space Cadet macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2005
    Puget Sound
    I couldn't be hypnotized

I was onstage for one of those shows. After the hypnosis man goes on a speil about how only uncreative, alcoholics can't be hypnotized I can't be put under. Sigh. I just didn't find it in the least relaxing to be on a stage with the weird, loud music and his booming voice (he was talking too fast as well).

I watched the show, though, and it was hilarious. After all the talk about "I'm not going to make you act like a chicken," he put the people in some funny situations — acting like they were on the moon, like they saw everyone in the audience naked, that sort of thing. One guy, one of those "I'm a cool guy" types, had some really open facial expressions that got everyone laughing. It was the real deal. He sold a bunch of tapes. I'm not sure how it would affect quitting smoking.
  19. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i hope you're right on that one. are there any studies/case reports on this?

because i'm still not so sure about this.........(for example people telling their passwords/pin numbers on stage is clealy not what they want to do nor do they think its right. the hypnotizer makes them think its right.)

20. zami macrumors regular

Dec 19, 2003
    South London
    15 years ago I got hypnotised to stop smoking in Rome by the then famous Avv. Vincenzo Campanelli. Seemed like a very expensive (Lit. 350,000) scam lasting 40! seconds at the time but I was so pissed off at the cost that I quit.

Years later having restarted smoking I tried a one hour session here in London that was frankly pathetic, some posh lady full of herself who didn't have a clue.

Campanelli on the other hand was, I think, the real deal and managed to make many famous people quit although whether like me they did so because of the money is another matter.

21. Brize macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2004
    Yep, I've been hypnotised before in an effort to maximise concentration during an important exam, and was pleasantly surprised by the outcome, especially given my cynical disposition.

The hypnotist consulted with me beforehand and took note of general and specific concerns. He then used progressive relaxation techniques to hypnotise me, and told me how I was going to react to various triggers during the exam session. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I was very conscious of recalling those suggestions during the exam itself, and could therefore have easily chosen to ignore them. The trick is to link those suggestions with incentives, which tends to short circuit any natural tendency to counter those positive suggestions with negative alternatives. It's all very simple really, and not dissimilar to the way in which advertising works. In the case of hypnosis though, it's so specifically targeted (on the basis of the information that you provide) and therefore more likely to be successful.
  22. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I don't believe you can be hypnotized unless you are willing to be. Im a cynic when it comes to these sorts of things.
  23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Don't think I'm susceptible, like Lacero says, you'll have to want to get hypnotized, and I think that looks rather dull... Not really a great believer in regressional therapy, either, as a subject tend to tell the therapist what they want to hear when hypnotized, not unlike those (best cases) chosen when hypnosis is used for entertainment...

As for smoking, I stopped in May '98 after smoking for 14 years, using nicotine gum. After 2 1/2 years "on gum" I was down to like two gums a day and cut them out, too... Now I can actually go minutes without thinking about cigarettes... :p
  24. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Have you ever been hypnotized?

Does it look like I'm running Windows?
  25. rogerw macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2004
    west sussex UK
    look into my eyes,look into my eyes, only into my eyes, not around my eyes, you're under.

well something like that