Have you ever bought an ebook or used Project Gutenberg?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by njmac, May 30, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm just wondering if anyone finds them useful. I haven't bought any but I have downloaded a few classics from Project Gutenberg but I have a really hard time reading a pdf on my PB that is over a few dozen pages.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes, I've purchased dozens of eBooks. Mostly to read on my Palm.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've never bought an eBook, but I've used Gutenberg a good few handfuls of times. And I read tons of scientific work in PDF format, and try to avoid printing them -- I like to transfer the PDFs to my Axim and use it to read them while reclining. :) Now if only I could get someone to fan me and feed me grapes....

If you're having trouble with readability on your Mac, try some things like changing colors. perhaps try switching using the invert colors user accessibility feature from the System Preferences. That might help. Everyone is different -- sometimes I space cadet while reading things on screen, but usually it works very well for me.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I've yet to find a usable reader. Small screen doesn't work for me, nor does big screen. A book printed on A4 is a nightmare.

I do have a number of eBooks, but I use them simply as searchable reference sources.

The book is a great format. Excellent UI. Lots of testing. Portable and rugged.

5. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I agree about the book format being a great UI.

I think my real problem is not the readability of the eBook, its that I'm to easily distracted reading the screen.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I love project gutenburg. One of the best things about the information age.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

While still using a HP Pocket PC (before my Mac days :eek: ), I bought lots of ebooks from Barnes and Nobel. I loved it, I could take 5 books on vacation in one little machine, and had a backlight at night. Only weird thing was the surrealistic page numbers.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Too true.. the 988 page paperback I'm (re)reading now (because the hardcover sequal just came out (joy!)) had something like 4000 pages on my Palm. :)