have you ever discouraged someone from switching because theyre not cool enough?

Discussion in 'Community' started by thevessels, Jan 28, 2005.

1. thevessels macrumors regular

i do/have
    some people i feel just dont deserve an apple, i know theyll just give it a bad name
    and especially if its someone you know and they just want one cause u have one and they think its cool - then you have the hassel of constantly asnwering idiodic questions for the next 2 years
    so yeah when an aquantance i dont admire tells me "hey im gettin a powerbook like you!" ill try to tell em how you cant get any games for it or it costs to much....*sigh*
    anyone else had similar experiences? ..i could vent foreva...

but yes i do look on the oposite scale, where i have gotten many other good (cool) friends to switch, and am more than happy to help them carry on the apple torch hand in hand....

but soooome people just deserve the tortures of windows....

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Nah, I just lay out the pros and cons to people and I let them decide. I find most people just don't have enough information to make a decision about whether a mac is appropriate for them. That's where I come in.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that I would have a hard time discouraging anyone from purchasing an Apple product. If they bother you too much, just refer them to the AppleCare number. Also a local Apple Store or reseller would be a good place for them to visit. They might surprise you, once they get a Mac, they will be having to much fun to give you a call.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Never

It's not about being cool.

Everybody deserves a pleasant computing experience... why deny them that?

You only serve to reinforce the idea that Mac users are stuck-up elitest snobs... it's not some kind of cool-kids-club...

I'm genuinely puzzled by your attitude... :confused:

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Are you 12 years old or something :rolleyes:. I can't see why anyone would deny somebody of a computer, even if it is a Mac. As for getting questions answered, I see people asking just as many questions about the Mac platform as the PC platform. Personally I think it's silly comments like these that give us the "cult" name. Anyways...

jon

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Your attitude is making it sound that we are part of some sort of "Macintosh Cult".

You sound rather immature to say the least, it has nothing to do with being cool.

Get your head out of the clouds since it seems its affecting your judgment. :rolleyes:

EVERYONE deserves GOOD in they life, its up to the person to decide if they want it and if its time for them to do so.

You are misguided indeed. :rolleyes:

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Add me to that list :confused:

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

YES

I did to my old boss. He is a complete jack*** and has a very abrasive personality. He talked about Macs and asked me suddenly "SO WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO SELL ME ONE OF YOURS?" I thought no way in HELL am I going to sell him one of my machines. He used to call me whenever he wanted to and asked me completely random questions about the iPod until he finally bought one, then showed it off in front of me because it was better.

I didn't turn him off of Macs per se, I just told him to go down to one of the Mac shops and play with one. To which he said "Yeah but they're expensive. I want you to sell me one." Would YOU like to support this guy when he does something stupid? Please post your phone number or email address and I'll tell him to contact you.

If not helping a stupid person like that is being snobbish then so be it.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Point the bugger to eBay, or buy it off eBay and sell it to him for a profit for all your work. ;) :)

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

C'mon people , it was just a harmless little thread- cut the person some slack... He was just joking about how some people deserve to be stuck with Windows... Lighten up...I just took it as a little play on how sometimes when we try to explain the benefits of switching to people we get all those silly reasons from people that we have to fight through to make a point.. I admit I have less patience breaking down the wall of inaccuracies with some people and more with others...

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If anyone shows an interest in a Mac, I'd be happy to let them join our merry band.

But I have some friends who when they're planning on buying a new computer, I don't even suggest that they get a Mac. That's not because they're not 'cool' :confused: but rather because they're happier sticking to what they know and our friendship is more important than arguing over computers.

13. rhix macrumors newbie

rhix

Count me in, sorta.

No one deserves a bad computing experience, and I've never discouraged anyone from getting a mac, but I'll admit to being sad/mad when I found out that certain people (very few!) got one. I talk up Apple to anyone that's willing to listen, but come on... admit it... I'm sure all of you have heard of someone you really disliked getting something cool (maybe not a mac) and being a little mad. I feel bad for it, like if I _should_ be happy for them, but don't. And when I say "very few" I mean... like... one so far.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ya, people who diss Macs without ever using one. Those ignorant PC idiots can keep running their BSOD spyware-riddled PCs forever for all I care.

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I DID, and he just kept bugging me to sell him one of mine. Grrrrr :mad:

It's funny, him arguing about price. He's into photography and he went out and bought a D2h - it's like $5,000 for the body only- no lens!! :eek: Even with this camera, he has no idea what he's doing :rolleyes:

16. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Nope, never even crossed my mind. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you down or anything but, IMO, I don't think it's appropiate for Mac users to define "cool" and to think that if you're not "cool" you can't own a Mac. Sounds kinda childish to me; sorta like in elementry school or even high school where you can't hang out with "in crowd" just becuase someone is not "cool" enough. I think everyone deserves to use whatever they want, Mac or PC. If someone asked me a question about Macs because they are thinking of switching, I wouldn't ask myself "Hmmm are they 'cool' enough", I would be more than happy to answer any questions they had the best I could (which I actually did once at Fry's, and I think I sold someone an iBook :)).

Oh yeah almost forgot, this is why many PC users consider Mac users snobs or arrogant. They think, we think we are better than them. Like as people, not the computer. Well I guess the computer to. I guess you can say they think we have too much pride just because we own a Mac.

17. Benj macrumors regular

Ditto.

In fact the first post almost makes me want to go back to a PC.

18. thevessels thread starter macrumors regular

haha this totally isnt the responce i was expecting !
    which is fine ! haha
    but cammon - mac ARE like toys . my favorite toy to be exact - and it is UBER cool . haha and i make it even cooler ... ( here come more flames haha ) but cammon guys - subconciously i know you wouldnt want some goof who still has all default settings and doesnt know how to ctrl click giving apple a bad rap . haha cammon there has to be more people out there who can agree with me ! ( btw i am only 18 ( 2 year user ) and in college - so a powerbook gets alot of attention .. just venting on how i deal with it ........ anyone? :(

19. thevessels thread starter macrumors regular

and to clarify - by 'not cool enough' i more mean undeserving/unworthy of the power and sex appeal of an apple.... :cool:

20. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

you made me wonder if I'm good/cool enough for my Mac, thanks jackass! :(

21. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You can't be too unkool for a Mac, beacuse where you buy one you become kool. :) In some cases anyways. ;)

22. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I lied, I AM cool, I'm jive, yah dig. :cool:

I just wanted to make thevessels feel bad.

23. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Agreed!

But I guess I would say that I am happier to own a Mac, but I wouldn't say that makes me better or cooler than anyone else...maybe a little happier :D

24. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Surely even the least deserving (in our meager estimation) should have the CHANCE to be happy... :)

25. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

how about, persuade someone to not get an apple because they WERE COOL ENOUGH.