Have you ever dropped your Computer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dave1234, Jan 19, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Feb 1, 2003
    Today I suffered my first (and hopefully only) drop of my Powerbook. It was closed and shut down. The outside case sustained noo damage, and it runs fine. How many people have dropped their computer?
  2. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I've never dropped my PowerBook (thankfully!). A few years back, I was carrying my CRT iMac down some stairs, and it slipped from my hands. It slid down several stairs and rubbed up against the wall. I was able to slow it with my foot. All in all, only cosmetic damage. It has some white paint scratches which I can't get rid of.
  3. macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2003
    Cliffside Park, NJ
    There is a reason why I keep my HP tower under by desk by my feet, for every illegal operation, or BSD, it gets one kick. Hopefully I get my iBook tomorrow and I won't have to kick it anymore. The plastic case is chipped, and thats about it, hurts my foot more then the computer.
  4. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    I've never dropped either of my PowerBooks and I probably would suffer from a mild heart attack if I did.
  5. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I dropped an IBM thinkpad down a flight of metal stairs about....er...4 years ago I think. It was one of their older boxy models. The desecration didn't phase it a bit. IBM makes some dang rugged hardware. I swear you could run their laptops over with a tank and you'd be more likely to blow a tread then damage the notebook....OK that might be a bit of an exaggeration ;)

Oh and I've dropped my Jornada Pocket PC several times fortunately it has a flip cover so its survived both tumbles.
  6. macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Heh. You aren't as bad as one of my users that I support. They got royally pissed at Office 97 or Office 97: Crash Edition (we aren't allowed to upgrade them to 2000 even though we have the licenses. :rolleyes:
    Anyways he got pissed that he lost several hours worth of work when Word 97 crashed. Shoved the desktop off his desk which additionally dragged the monitor down with it monitor hit corner of desktop and bang. I've never seen the inside of a CRT before and stayed rather far away since I was pretty sure the crap in there is toxic. Anyways the guy ended up paying for the desktop and monitor and got a sever reprimand from my boss, local IT manager, and his boss, office manager. The kicker? I enable auto save on Word so it auto saves every 10 minutes in the temp directory. A pity his hard drive crashed from that fall else I could have recovered it.
    Moral of the story: Don't get mad get IT.
  7. macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    Oh man, I hope you told him that :D
  8. macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    I bumped into someone while walking down some stairs and dropped my Powerbook 145B. After tumbling down a full flight of stairs it booted up with no problems and didn't even have a scratch on the case.

My sister tripped over the power cord for her iBook which promptly fell off her desk onto a hard floor. It still worked but had a thin line across the screen thereafter.
  9. macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2004
    i remember a macaddict review, i think it was just after the 12" 867mhz g4 pbook came out. they dropped it while it was on. it was fine.

i've never dropped my ibook, but it's not mine, so if it broke, i'd be in deep shiat.

i dropped my ipod once though. a few cosmetic scratches, but it kept playing the song and was fine.
  10. macrumors demi-god

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    We got some new G5's at work and we set it on the ground while we moved the G4 tower off the desk so we could put the G5 up there. One of my co-workers swiveled around in his chair to get up and knocked the G5 over. I didn't see it 'cause my back was turned but I heard this loud "thunk" and went :eek: . Not damage at all thankfully. We were worried there for a few days 'cause the G5 kept actin' funny but it turned out to be bad RAM.

11. macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    my laptop has fallen from:

* the trunk of a car (inside of its carry bag)- height of a little over 3 feet: No damage

* my desk chair- height of approx. 2.5 feet: no damage

Rugged little powerbook.
  12. Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i hope your computer didn't sustain long term damage

i have had a lot of machines, and i have repaired and maintained many many machines and so far, knock on wood, i have not dropped any computers

i did once drop a used monitor when i was swapping out a whole slew of old machines to be retired and that monitor was not be used again, but i still felt really bad about dropping it since it did not work well when i attached it to a computer
  13. macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I dropped my 500 Mhz iBook twice, and stepped on it once- no damage.

Dropped my 12" 800 Mhz iBook in the train- no damage.

Dropped my TiBook TWICE in 10 MINUTES. Case dented, but no other damage.

Dropped my camera 3 weeks ago and scratched the case :(

Dropped my Tungsten C in the train- no damage.

I'm a real klutz sometimes.

Also dropped my VAIO, which is now warped and won't sit flat on a table anymore. The fall broke both clips holding the battery in :rolleyes: real high quality
  14. macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I walked by my PowerBook 12" and accidently caught its power cable dragging it from the table and onto my foot.

Needless to say, my foot was sore for a few days and the PowerBook was fine.
  15. Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Never have dropped a computer, don't plan on staring ;)
  16. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  17. Guest

Feb 17, 2003
    Hitchin, Herts, UK
    I haven't dropped a computer but I've dropped my ipod twice in the month I've had it. Once onto my foot from 3.5 feet and the other time it bounced off a couch cushion on to the floor. It still works fine...
  18. macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've dropped my 12" PowerBook from about 2 feet onto tile floor... Ouch...

I have a small dent on the top left of the screen casing, and when I close the screen, it doesn't exactly fit flush with the rest of the computer... It's about 1mm off...

Either way, the damage was only cosmetic, and the computer still works fine.
  19. macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    ok... i won't stare. :D

seriously though, i've dropped my TiPB 15" way too many times. Once from 2' onto a hard wood floor; right on the corner (small dent and a bruised ego). On time it slipped out of my hands and I went to grab it... but instead, I ended up pushing it up and away from me so it flew right up in the air and flipped three or four times then crashed onto my carpeted floor (from about 5'/6' in the air!). Both times it was fine. I've had a bunch of other close calls and minor scratches, but it works just fine. A dent and a hairline fracture isn't enough to kiil this PB. ;)

20. Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Remind me NEVER to buy a computer off of u guys if I'm ever in the market for a used portable. ;)

I haven't dropped anything. I'm super freaky careful about my stuff, and would put myself in the way before my beloved equipment.

Point in case, last year during Mardi Gras, I was riding on a float on Mardi Gras day. I had my camera with me, and was taking shots off the side of the float. I made the decision from the begining, that if something were to happen & my camera were to fall off the float, I was going with it. ;)
  21. macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    I dropped my ibook after a terrifying chain reaction involving my palm, its cradle, my phone and its charger, and my ibook charger cord all getting twisted and tied aorund my foot...something i didnt see until i got up.
    my ibook would have been fine except the cdrom drive was open because i was getting up after realizing i didnt have ablank handy...so i have a toasted cd drive but otherwise it survived...i was wicked wicked lucky.
    if anyone knows of some good dvdrom-cdrw external drives, let me know.
  22. macrumors regular

Dec 20, 2002
    The Valley
    I dropped a MDD g4 that was in for repairs. I tripped over its box and we both went flying! The g4 bounced off the floor and hit me in the head as i fell on top of it. No damage, save a bump on the noggin. I guest the plastic handles double as shock absorbers.
  23. macrumors 6502

Sep 9, 2003
    I have not dropped any computer of mine yet, but a long time ago in highschool, I tripped down a friend's basement stairs. Me and my father's work's ThinkPad tumbled down the stairs to be stopped (and yes, the ThinkPad made first contact) by a cement wall.

I was fine, the computer was fine....but I still fear doing that again.

This did nothing to help the slight fear I have of falling down stairs.
  24. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
  25. macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I am with you eyelikeart, also very careful with my computer.

Glad that you didn't drop your camera, for your sake and the sake of MacRumors.