Have you ever had your mailbox destroyed?

Discussion in 'Community' started by NusuniAdmin, Jun 13, 2004.

1. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

Have you ever had your mailbox destroyed by a group of stupid teens or even a dumb snowplow. A few summers ago a group of teens came by every week and smashed all our mailboxes with lacross sticks. My dad got fed up and covered it with really heavy duty wood. That night they came by again and we heard a loud "OWWWWW" and a bang and heard the stick break. And just because its america we videotaped it so if they did sue us we'd have proof they did it to themselves. Doing that also got rid of the snowplow problem. Haven't had it knocked down since.

A little off topic by a little while ago in syracuse some guy was parked legally and followed every law about were his car should be parked on street. A snow plow came by and leveled his car...guess wut he started a suit but they would not pay for his car. How come snowplows are so farggin annoying.

2. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

easy solution to yer problem, move someplace warm :D

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I've never see a thread that started with a post that had off-topic comments. It's a little hard to do, by definition. :D

By the way, I read your post thinking maybe I could help you with your Mail.app problem! But that's not the kind of mailbox you meant! :p

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

No, but I accidentally knocked over a friend's mailbox in High school. I was one of my first friends to hit 16 so I drove a group of my friends to/from shool. Well I pulled up to a friend's place on morning, got a bit to close to the curb and my sideview mirror hit the mailbox (both my mirror and the mailbox were black so the black-on-black mark on my mirror wasn't very noticable). The box was completely off so I quickly got out and tried to fix it. Well, my touching it was the final straw and it completely fell off. D'oh. So I walked up to her door and rang the bell. When she answered the door the following converstation took place.

Me: [concerned] Hey Missy, did you know someone hit your mailbox?
    Her: What?
    Me: Yeah, someone hit it. I tried to fix it though but I couldn't.
    Her: Sh*t. My dad's gonna be pissed.
    Me: Yeah, it really sux.

Of course I made the people already in my car swear to never tell. And, AFAIK, no one ever has. This was 10 years ago. Next time I see Missy I might mention it.

Lethal

5. MontgomeryBurns macrumors member

Where I grew up all the mailboxes were elaborate little brick structures with built in flowerbeds and every once in a while someone doing a three-point turn on the street would back into one, leaving a sad pile of brick rubble topped with a regular mailbox-box.

My girlfriend's parents live in a somewhat rural location and the residents of the area in question have a problem with hooligans destroying their mailboxes with firearms. Apparently this is a recurring problem because they usually have on hand about a half-dozen extra replacement mailboxes at any given time.

Now I live in a house that has a mail slot in the garage door, thus turning my garage into a giant, somewhat messy, mailbox. I hope that it will not be demolished prematurely for any reason, as it is a pretty important part of the house.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Section of pipe, fill with concrete, dig really deep hole, place pipe in hole, and fill hole with concrete.

Should definitely stop the people that like like to run over mailboxes.

Of course they do have some anti-vandalism mailboxes that are approved by the postal service now.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Yeah. When I decided to let my Hotmail.com expire after 90 days of nonusage...

Certainly puts a literal edge over the term "Firewall."

8. NusuniAdmin thread starter macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

9. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Mailbox baseball?

Sounds like someone could make a concrete and rebar reinforced mailbox.
    [​IMG]

The only disadvantage with this one is that the 'player-at-bat' ;) will likely not swing at the mailbox. And what you want is for them to whack at the mailbox and possibly require a trip to the hospital for an arm injury.

So, I think that the ideal mailbox would be a large mailbox with a smaller mailbox inside of it. Fill the space between the two mailboxes with something heavy, such as concrete, or even better, molten lead. You would definitely need a strong mount for this heavy duty reinforced mailbox, and that should be a large diameter thick gauge steel pipe with a concrete base and filled with concrete as well.

If you are the sadistic type, I suggest an even larger mailbox enclosing the other two, but this one should be made out of a wood material. Enclose with concrete as usual. This would invite the 'designated hitter' to really swing hard at the mailbox. :eek: :p :D

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

My house has a mail slot so I don't have to worry about a destroyed mailbox.

Camp out overnight and when the teens come by, shoot out their tires and then call them cops on them.

11. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Shoot out their tires... that is going to get you arrested for Discharging of a Firearm within City Limits, or any of the various gun laws there are in your neck of the woods.

Plus, camping out overnight is not realistic.

If only people were brought up respectful of private property...

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My parents had this issue in Michigan (also by a baseball bat, AFAIK), but here in Florida everyone on their street has the kind of mailbox Frohickey described. Actually they did a really nice job of matching the style of each one to the house architecture. I think they're really nice. :)

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Why would anyone smash a mailbox?

That is the epitome of immaturity. Doing something destructive and irresponsible for no good reason is so very childish. You would think that anyone old enough to hold a bat would be mature enough to know that nobody gets anywhere by destroying mailboxes.

sigh... :rolleyes:

scem0

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I haven't had a mailbox blown up or knock over yet.

I've had a snow plow rip up a 3x35 foot long section of grass.
    I've had cats try to crap in our front yard, I've shot a few of them.
    I've had cars mysterously appear in our drive way, only to have me slash the tires and then call the tow truck.
    I've had stupid kids drive by our house trying to egg it, only for me to try and shoot out thier window with a bb-gun.

I live in a gated community but some how, our house is plagued with vandolism. Espacially on halaween.

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I've lost a couple of mail boxes to snowplows. the last one I lost, wasn't even a day old. I set it up, and a couple of hours later (just after the mail man visited, of course) bits and pieces were scattered up into my neighbors yard. Now I have an aluminum one, and it was smashed flat. But I was able to pull it straight. :rolleyes: more or less

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My teacher had a problem with teens smashing his box with bats every few days. He mentioned it in class and a few of us suggested taking a second box, filling it with concrete, then moving it out at night in the place of the real one. Needless to say, there was a kid in need of medical attention three nights later after trying to hit the box at full force with a bat. My neighbor three houses down used to literally move his box into the garage every night because he was so paranoid. No one ever caused problems in our neighborhood, but some people are just really cautious I guess.

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

While I lived in Nebraska I got one of those. The damage came from snow plows. They poured concrete in the hole with large bolts imbedded. There was a plastic ring that connected the mail box with the base. So if it was hit then it could break away and not damage the mail box itself.

Now I also have a mail slot.

When I grew up there was more responsibility scemo. The neighbors were also watching everyone. Damaging personal property was just something that you didn't do.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

We've only lost one to a snowplow. The funny thing is, it's not a giant plow, but a late 80's Toyota Tacoma pushing a 500 lb. plow. And this is after the snow stop falling, and everyone has driven on it so it's nice and packed down. :mad: ****ing Cumberland :mad:

I do like the idea of a smaller box inside the larger wood box, and then filling the space with concrete. The only "vandalism" I've done regarding mailboxes is open them while riding my bike past... :rolleyes:

19. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

errm......

...... booby trap the mailbox.

a couple a liters of Nitro Glycerine should give the next kid swinging a baseball bat at it one helluva fright.

just so they can't sue you, put a sign on it that says "Exploding Mailbox, hit with bat at own risk, you have been warned" :cool:

being in the land of the free, i'm sure something involving fully-automatic weapons, a crossbow or 30 liters of Skunk Juice could be rigged up. :eek:

how about a tape player inside it so it starts screaming "Help, RAPE!!" as soon as it receives an impact.

use your imagination, but try not to make it so touchy that the postie gets blown to kingdom come, talk about "going postal" :cool:

20. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

oooh, oooh.......

.... something else;

something that squirts the kids with Gentian Violet would be superb.

Gentian Violet is used to clean laborotory slides, when it comes in contact with skin, it stains the skin purple.

takes AGES to wear off, we got a kid in the face with it at school, he had a purple face for about 8 weeks. (got into a little bit of trouble for that one) ;)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Couldn't find a cow to tip cuz they were all inside for the night? Yes, it *is* childish. But so are a lot of things children do. :(