Have you ever made a serious attempt at suicide?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Apr 29, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

I did about 30 years ago. I failed. Although it was inventively theatrical.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How can you be sure?

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Don't think I haven't pondered this very question myself, because by all rights I should not have survived.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Not on myself :D

(Please, before people say "well that would be murder" - I know.. it is a joke)

I have been around people that have... the build up was far worse than the attemps

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Never any serious attempt ... just some thoughts about it quite a number of years ago.

6. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Can I ask you something about it?

7. Queso macrumors G4

Never even considered it. Not that life hasn't been extremely difficult at times.

8. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I don't think it's about life being difficult. In my case I was devastated over losing my girlie. I was only 19 and completely heartbroken. Though funnily enough although she was a cute little french girl at the time she is now a miserable harridan and my current girl of 20 years is drop dead georgeous. Let this be a warning to the youngsters :D

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No.

10. Lau Guest

When we were all about 13 or 14 my two best friends made a very real and very serious attempt to kill themselves. If it wasn't for a pretty lucky series of events they wouldn't be here today. I'm unbelievably glad they are. I think they are too.

11. Queso macrumors G4

I think that's the thing that kept me going. There was a time I was constantly penniless and always close to being homeless due to lack of money. Also thanks I believe to eating badly I was in poor health, constantly tired and catching every illness doing the rounds. I hated my job and my life. There were days when I literally didn't want to get out of bed because I couldn't see the point. I was angry all the time, and therefore quite reckless and at times destructive.

You know, that's the first time I've actually written that down and realised just how depressed I was. Almost like a completely different person to who I am now.

12. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I can laugh about it now, but it was ten years before I could talk about it. Although it might be a bit gruesome for our younger readers.

13. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Hell no, but my friend tried way back when I was in high school. I called him a dumbass and told him if he ever tries that again, I'll end up sleeping with his mom. 10 years later, I have yet to sleep with his mom.

Oh, had to add: According to my parents, joining the Air Force was also suicide....But that's parents for ya

14. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

As Zappa said, 'make sure you do it right the first time, 'cause nobody wants a suicide chum' —You Are What You Is

I remember on the guardian talk forum about 4 years ago someone came on to talk about something they hadn't talked about before because the thought of what happened made their thoughts turn to suicide, it was quite strange.

Apparently he and his friend and their girlfriends were in the loungeroom of a high rise block of flats in Italy, and without any warning or indication or sound of any kind his friend just got up and dived head first over the balcony.

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

"... There are few
    hosts who so thoroughly prepare to greet a guest
    only casually invited, and that several months ago."

16. bartelby macrumors Core

I have too.
    I was 19 at the time, that's all the info I'm giving.
    I still have similar thoughts now, but I can deal with situations better.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Funny isn't it how things have a tendency to work out like that! I have similar stories but this isn't the place.

I have never tried. Though I did sort of come down from the Moors via a firing range the other day. I saw the signs and hoped that nobody was firing. I won.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, but even during those times, I never contemplated suicide, although there were moments when I came close to just leaving it all behind and disappearing. I guess I realised I was in a bad place, but I had the ability to work it out eventually.

19. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I love the way there's the usual warning in the forum rules about 'we have younger viewer, yada yada yada, no nudity and so forth, yet in the space of a few days there are links to horrific motorbike prangs, soft core prono lingerie sites, lurid tales of illicit drug fiendishness, the list goes on. Sex, Death and Drugs, what more could a youngster need in their education of life?

That is the point I was making. You can be really screwed with regards to opportunities to pull yourself out of a hole and not feel suicidal but a woman...now that's different story entirely, they can (make that 'will') send you craaazy :)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's exactly what happened to my friend. He was dating this biatch who was just this pig of a "woman", and eventually she dumped him. He got so upset that he said he tried to commit suicide. Anyway, it didn't work. :p He was taken to the hospital and came home the next day. Completely dumbass......suicide over that girl? I say he was lucky for that relationship to end. :rolleyes:

He's dating a great girl now --- 100x better than the last one. Can't stress how lucky he is now. :)

It was just a cry for help or something. It was 3-4 years ago. I didn't even remember that until this thread came up. In my opinion, it was a non-event. I know that sounds cruel, but there's a reason why suicide attempts mess up more often than not. Sometimes they do legitimately mess up, but a large large majority of the time, the attempts would never mess up if you didn't want it to.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

I've been suicidal, but never actually tried to harm myself.

22. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

Hence the word 'serious' in the thread title. I think I made a really crap attempt when I was 16 that I wouldn't term as 'serious' although it was serious to me. The one I refer to in this thread was very carefully considered, it all actually went perfectly to plan, (apart from the bit where I was suppose to die within 10 seconds). By all rights I should not have lived to tell the tale.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well my friend said it was a serious attempt. I forget how he tried to die. I was studying for exams, and he's on MSN and tells me that he just came back from the hospital after trying to commit suicide. I didn't know what to think, so I basically said, "That's nice. How's your dog doing? Still sick?" Anyway, I have never really talked with him about it and he never brought it up again. He's always been a bit "whacked." I didn't even want to give him the satisfaction of getting more sympathy and attention, because that's what I thought he wanted. Maybe I was wrong.....but either way, I honestly forgot about the event. That's how much of a "non-event" it was in my eyes, and he's my best and oldest friend.

If you don't mind me asking (and since you brought the topic up, you shouldn't IMO), how did your plan screw up? Was the noose not tight enough?

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I never doubted your attempt since you started the thread. I was mostly referring to others in this thread who say they attempted suicide, but "failed." I can't even imagine failing at that. Just pick a tall building, or a bridge. Bridges are usually quite good for suicides. Rope bridges you find in national parks that take you over a bunch of jagged rocks and a river.....perrrrfect.

Oh wait, you live in the Blue Mountains. Surely there's a nice drop somewhere that'll kill anyone successfully. What about that area that people go to to photograph the Three Sisters? Nice and steep drop.....highly recommended.

Shopping malls with multiple storeys are another great place. In Times Square in Hong Kong, there's a very very popular atrium where people commit suicide all the time, especially around Christmas, and nobody has ever failed. Not that I know of, anyway. The mall is around 6 storeys, and the floor is made from a really nice marble.....nice for a shopping mall. Maybe people should consider committing suicide over there. Sure, it's an expensive flight to Hong Kong, but it's not like you're saving your money for anything else. :p Have some dim sum beforehand as well. There's lots of good restaurants on the 11th and 12th floor.