Have you ever owned a car without leather?

Discussion in 'Community' started by yzeater, May 9, 2003.

1. yzeater macrumors regular

Here's something that I realized today. My family has never had a car without leather in the time that I've been alive (16 yrs), and obviously my car has leather then...but most times when I'm with friends, they don't have leather, and it's uncomfortable as anything. Anybody feel this way?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've never owned a car with leather - probably have one one day, but its never really been an issue or preference.

D

3. yzeater thread starter macrumors regular

Aren't you loving this weather Dukestreet? Great a couple days, then REALLY CRAPPY. Traffic was going 30mph on 495 at noon today

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

ermmmmmmm...... to make it short and sweet. Yes.
    My current car has no leather.:)

5. guitargeek macrumors regular

It's not just the seating material, it's the shape of the seat as well. Since leather seats are usually found on more expensive cars, the seats are generally more confortable.

My mother's 98 Volvo has leather, and is very uncomfortable. I sat in a 94 Saab 900s with cloth interior, and it was quite possibly the most comfortable seat I've sat in.

Chrysler has the luxury seat thing down pat, though. I was looking at an LHS, and I didn't want to get out of it! *drool*.

My Caddilac was extremely comfy, too.

But, to answer the question, yes, I have. My Chevy Caprice didn't have leather, and neither does my Grand Prix (which is pretty UNcomfy, actually).

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Have you ever owned a car without leather?

No leather for me. my next car may or may not. depends on what I decide to buy, how much extra it is, etc. leather is nice, but everyone even wants it. Cloth has some advantages (not as slippery, doesn't get as hot or cold, etc), but I think I'd like to have leather next time. Unfortunately every time I think about buying a new car I realize my car still runs fine and I should probably keep it until it craps out.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

alas, it's no leather for me. but that is probably actually a very good thing since i tend to get in my car while very dirty (camping, biking, hiking, etc... will tend to do that to you).

it's vinyl for me in my current car, and it's not too bad except when it's really hot out. and at least it's easy to clean.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've never had a car with leather interior, above my income level! I did rent a car with leather interior once a Lincoln Town car, very nice! ;) Rented it because of my height and a long drive!

10. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I prefer cloth seats because they don't get so uncomfortable in the summer and also don't get as cold in the winter.

11. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I haven't had leather until my current company car. I'll see how it is compared to cloth during the summer. It will also be interesting to see how it holds up to two kids in the backseat. As long as they don't start writing or spilling food, I'll be alright.

12. guitargeek macrumors regular

That's why they developed heated seats and cooled seats ;)

13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have never had a car with leather, but I have moved up to cloth. My first vehicle had vinyl seats. :D It was an '83 Dodge Ramcharger.... Ahhhh that thing was cool. If you went out and got the insides all muddy, you could just take a hose to the insides of the car to clean it out. (Rubber floors)

I really miss that truck...

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i heartily agree. i hate the way leather feels in a car in the summer. you sweat and start to basically stick to the seat... it feels kind of gross. leather is terrible, i think, for warm climates. it's fine in the winter, but there is nothing wrong with cloth there. ultimately, i see leather in a car as primarily a status symbol. it's easier to keep in good shape and what not, but it's not really that much more comfortable in many situations; much less so, in the heat, as i mentioned.

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my car doesn't even give leather as an option, i don't think-- leather trim, but no seats... it's a lumina, the monte carlo comes with leather standard i believe, it's a sports-lumina. i really love leather, i grew up in a family that owned lincolns exclusively so i was used to it, but i guess i need to make a bit more money before i can move up to my first lexus (hey, gotta break tradition sometimes)... i absolutely love what they've done with lexus since toyota stopped shunning them (or vice-versa)... and lincolns are just rather bland anymore. they used to have style... my grandma used to drive a signature series continental that was absolutely gorgeous, dark-rose colored coach roof on a silver sedan, it was a non-stretch limo. and of course, everyone and their dog owns a BMW anymore... i loved them for a long time because the logo on the steering wheel just looks so cool :) i'd never own a caddy tho, what overrated boring common cars those are. and the cateras are just plain fugly.

the lesson here: don't get me started on luxury cars :)

pnw

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I've evolved past leather, since I know we are all muti-millionaires we can afford the best seating, custom tailored to spec.

What's wrong with you people? ;)

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Have you ever owned a car without leather?

i don't know

my first car, a datsun 610 had vinyl and i had that for ten years

...then i had a nissan maxima and that had velvet like fabric and i had that for seven years

...and now i have a volvo dl sw which has fake leather and i have had that for six years...so that's 23 years driving without leather

and if you count the sixteen years i didn't drive, then i rode around in a volvo 245 with fake leather again, a mazda 626 with fake velvet, a corvair with fake leather, and some old american made station wagon with fake leather...and that goes back to 1963...all without leather

now i am curious...i think i will go down to the auto mall and try out a car with real leather

18. guitargeek macrumors regular

Hehehe, that's why they killed it off after a couple years.

I personally love the DeVille up until 2000 when they switched over to the current style. The all digital display in my DeVille Concours RULED! Plus my Caddy could smoke just about any car that came up next to it. The Northstar engine is great until you blow a head gasket, which is surprisingly common with that motor.

19. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Let's see, out of the cars that I would like:

Toyota Prius: No leather option
    Audi TT: Only available in leather
    Subaru Forester (for wife): Leather only available with automatic transmission (interesting)

I would say that stock cloth seats are most likely not as comfortable as the leather seats, since the manufacturers want you to spend the money to upgrade to the more expensive ones. Obviously it means more money for the manufacturer.

Do I care about leather seats? Not really. I most likely would not chose them, I would spend the money on a better sound system instead. They are not a huge expense, $1000, but I like the feel of cloth when I am wearing shorts. My wife prefers not to use the AC and on long trips wearing shorts.... leather sucks (IMHO)

20. DaedalusDE macrumors regular

My mom refuses to buy a car with leather... she had a choice between a Lincoln Towncar, or a Cadillac Deville... she bought a Mercury Grand Marquis... and its light blue... the thing is a ****ing giant golfcart... and since it has cloth seats theres no support under your a$$ and it hurts your back....

My dad's car on the other hand... heheheh Lexus LS430... if you wanted cloth in one of those the people at the dealership would lynch you...

Personally I like leather better, but if i really had to choose i'd probably pick that waterproof stuff the seats in the Element are covered in.

21. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Leather:

If you scratch it, it is damaged
    You stick to it
    It is just a car, having leather seats does not make one a better person

Think about office chairs, would anyone want a leather office chair? I'd rather have an Aeron any day...

22. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

Funny 'cause I have a leather office chair (and I love it)but would never want leather in my vehicle for the same reasons you and others have already mentioned.

23. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

My mom's BMW has leather, and I find them to be comfortable. But, I don't like how in the summer the leather can be hot. In the winter, the leather is cold at first but then they warm up by turning on the heated seats button.

All in all, I think that cloth and leather are both just as comfortable.

24. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've never owned a car with leather. Quite frankly, I don't want a care with leather either. In a city like New Orleans, where the summers get pretty brutal, the hot leather tends to burn a person upon entering their vehicle. Besides, it's just more maintanence.

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i know what you mean...i mean i don't have leather car seats, but i often wear leather underwear so i assume it's the same thing:p