Have you ever wanted to just behead the super-rich?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So I come home and my daughter is watching a show on VH1, Fabulous Life Presents: The Secret Lives of the Mega Rich. And I find myself doing something I don't normally do: getting darkly angry over a stupid reality show.

Hey, here's the woman who created the Celestial Seasonings company! Aside from her absolutely fabulous mansion, more than any of us could probably think what to even do with, she's got a special garage she's constructed for her 42 cars -- many if not most of them more expensive than most average people's entire annual salaries.

Whoa, over there is Ivanka Trump (that's gotta be a boob job!) showing off her (or her dad's) swanky piece of prime Manhattan real estate. This particular tower is the most expensive living space on the whole island. The penthouse alone is worth $32 million, or (as the show breaks it down) $6,083 per square foot.

It makes me long to do a re-creation of the French Revolution, replete with guillotines.

Perhaps I'll fail to convey the reason for my anger through mere electrons, but this obscenely conspicuous consumption just makes you wanna throttle somebody. In a country where the standard of living is going down for the average person (though they tell you otherwise); where they won't even give you the true unemployment count; where the rich have it so rigged that they are pulling away from the rest of us at warp speed; where there are so many better places to spend your hideous overabundance of cash, both here and abroad; how can these people live with themselves? Living this kind of piggish, selfish lifestyle would burn a hole in my conscience.

I just don't know how they do it.

And why we don't get out the guillotines.

(And parenthetically, why do the rest of us even watch this swill? I can't believe people consider this entertainment. Do we like having not just our noses but our whole faces rubbed in this excrement??)

I'm sorry, I don't normally write things while I'm under the influence of white-hot anger, but the sheer self-indulgence of these boors is crazy-making. Again, I probably am not conveying the rationale behind my anger well enough, but the solution for that is simple: sit down and watch this trashy show yourself. You'll probably end up as pissed off as I am.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The bling-bling new money people are very annoying. :rolleyes:

Too bad there aren't more kidnappings for money like there are in other countries. Where you flaunt your dough without a bodyguard and a bulletresistant vehicle, you may just be sent home in small pieces.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

No.

And dude, if those programs bother you so much, change the channel. :rolleyes:

4. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

These shows are made just to get us to get jealous over the 58934 pairs of sneakers this guy has or the gazillion dollar jewels this lady bought because "she had a craving" or something. Spending that amount of money in such superfluous things is just wrong. I understand your anger, 100%!

I'm not sure about the beheading part, though...

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

As a way of saying I somewhat agree with you, I've always hated that turn of phrase. She did not construct that garage.

Ben, the issue is not that it's on TV. The issue is that these people exist and spend money in this manner.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Who cares what other people have? It's their life. I say more power to them if that is how they want to spend their $.

To be jealous of someone with money is a complete waste of time IMHO. And to voluntarily watch a show that bothers you makes no sense at all to me.

Bling Bling! :)

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Sushi, do you care about other people who have less than you?

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Just to be clear, I'm being facetious about the guillotines.

I think....

Oh, and sushi, I only watched about 10 minutes, and that's what I saw in that time. It was all I could stomach. I told my daughter I had to leave the room before I blew a gasket.

9. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Maybe not the physical act of beheading but, yea I do resent some of those super-rich or celebrity types.

10. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I'm with sushi on this way.

Furthermore, I don't see anything wrong with spending obnoxious amounts of money on stupid things. It's their money. They will spend it how they choose, and that's their right. For you, or anyone for that matter, to judge them the way you are, or to try and decide how much is too much, is much more "wrong" than the act itself toward which you behave this way.

From my perspective, it is obnoxious that someone can buy a Mac Pro with dual 30-inch Apple Cinema Displays for a personal computer. That's insane to me! BUT, if I could, I'd do it to. That's my right.

Quit being so judgemental. Maybe you need to take a closer look at yourself before judging others.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

How do you feel about royalty? Should we return all the land to the royalty from whom it was expropriated? It was theirs after all.

It's pretty easy to just assume the the current state of affairs is the natural state of affairs and is unavoidable. But eventually, that assumption seems to prove to be false.

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Not to be rude, but who are you talking to, and what are you talking about? :confused:

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm talking to you, and I thought I was being reasonably clear. My point is that there's no reason to assume that our current economic set up is entirely fair. If it's not, then then next step is realizing that it's not really "their" money.

Moreso though, I don't see what's wrong with being judgmental of people who are doing things that are morally reprehensible.

14. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I see. I guess I'm more of a "it's none of my business" kind of person when it comes to things like this. I'm not saying it doesn't affect me in some way, but seeing as how there isn't much I can do, it's just better (for me, anyhow) to simply ignore it, regardless of whether or not I think it's "right".

And, assuming it IS their money, the next step is realizing that we do not all have the same morals, and one cannot expect another to abide by one's own morals, no matter how "right" they may seem.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything, but I'm really not the type to argue things very thoroughly unless I feel strongly about them. This I do not feel very strongly about, so I'm really not putting much effort into making my statement toward it. Also, I'm pretty spent. I wouldn't want you to waste your time talking about this with me as it's probably a lost cause. Hope that makes sense. Man, I'm tired.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

True enough. Man. I can't imagine if everyone in the world had my morals. We'd all be a bunch of procrastinating sanctimonious pain-in-the-asses.

16. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Same here, with emphasis on the procastination factor.

That said, we all have a strange set of morals when compared to others. I think that's why people are so easily influenced. Most are quick to change their minds about something when they see that most people do not feel the same way. It's these "strange" morals that are usually the most important, at least in the sense that we often feel stronger toward them (otherwise, why would they continue to exist) and therefore shouldn't be so quick to let them go.

Be true to yourself. What the hell am I talking about..? :confused:

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

She's going to die anyway, someday.

It is kinda sickening, especially if we wonder how much the employees who actually make the product make. But she very well could be giving millions to charity, we don't know. Maybe she grew up poor and is overcompensating. Of course, it's ridiculous to me that the rich seem to be getting richer and the poor poorer and that someone in that position can be so wasteful, but there's nothing really to be done than pity them for their obvious overindulgence. Hoping she's doing her part and paying her fair share of the taxes and not just being greedy.

I don't like watching those shows either though.

18. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Ask you daughter to show you "My Super Sweet 16" or whatever the name of the show is. It's about extravagant birthday parties (ballrooms, guest lists, Mercedes as gifts) of super rich teenagers. It's the most sickening of them all.

19. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

LOL. I love that show, you know why? Because I love seeing rich white girls cry when they don't have things their way. :D

20. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know you're not that naive, solvs.

"I don't pay taxes. The little people pay taxes." -- Leona Helmsley

21. Queso macrumors G4

The fact that they have all this stuff doesn't sicken me, but the constant drawing attention to it does. It's almost as if the media want to infect us all with greed to keep our consumption based economies going. :rolleyes:

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bingo. We don't need guillotines, we need a new tax code. Repeal the Bush tax cuts for the upper 2% of earners. Banish all talk of eliminating the estate tax. Keep it simple to own a home or two and some stock for retirement, but enact a tax code that says working for a living is just as profitable as investing for a living. Make it easy to make your first $10 million, and harder thereafter. And revisit the numbers often enough that something like the AMT never happens again. Let those who desire money pursue it, just level the playing field.

Personally I don't have any problem with the rich spending money however they (legally) want. Hell, I like to help them spend it on high-end construction projects. I just think we should have more rich people who earned it, and fewer of those who happened to be heirs of those who earned it. We don't need a royal class in this country. More Oprah Winfreys and fewer Paris Hiltons.

23. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

At least you haven't seen those Sweet Sixteen's. ;)

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

What about sending them to Iraq? :D

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree completely! Peope who earn it, absolutely deserve it. Those who don't- well, I won't even start. ;)