Have you ever wondered.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you ever wondered how close you were to being banned from MacRumours?

At times, I have wondered if I was going to be banned from making too many odd comments, or just arguing with someone who would whine to admin/mods.

In fact, someone is probably grabbing my jacket now. No need to push....when the time comes, I'll let myself out, thanks.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*lets go of Abstract's jacket*

;)

But yes, I have wondered. :eek: I've had some posts deleted, but for the most part, it's mainly my own paranoia that makes me wonder whether or not I've been close to being banned. :D

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

This is the biggest reason to get banned, IMO. There's a few members here who do whine a lot. I would know. :)

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, deleted posts make me paranoid as well.

Sometimes I'll be wandering around the dark caverns of MacRumours, when I see a thread I'm sure I posted in. I may not remember what I said, but I do remember posting. When I look in the thread to check the replies, I don't see my post. Then I try to remember what I said (a joke? slight insult? pointless banter? possibly........some good advice? (probably not) :confused: ), or whether I was one straw from breaking the admin's back.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

I've had a couple of threads wastelanded due to posting something days old:eek: :rolleyes:

6. furious macrumors 65816

furious

One time a very kind admin left a little PM saying I should pull my head in. :eek: But other than that I feel I have no reason to needlessly worry about being banned.;)

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Naaaah, I reject the idea that someone wouldn't want me around! :eek: :p

Really, so long as you aren't some big festering drama whore who needs consistent attention from moderators then there's no need for banning. You need to be a perpetual pain in the jacksie, a proper spammer ("OMG free iPodz!!11") then I doubt you've blipped the radars.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have I ever wondered? Nope. I expect to be told if I'm near the line... as happened not long after I first arrived on the scene, bringing some bad habits from other forums with me.

Since then, I have done my best to remain a small thorn in the side without pissing too many powers off. I hope. :D

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

How long does a ban from MacRumors last anyway? I remember MacboobsPro being banned for a month and he came back. Myself, I've been banned from BITOG for an entire year, and the only reason I got back on was because my IP address mysteriously changed.

The Admins at MacRumors are soft. :p

10. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

MacboobsPro called someone an idiot, thus getting himself a temp ban. But then he signed up as iLuff and started one of those threads you don't start, which made his ban longer.

My only claim to fame is a thread I started that eventually got Wastelanded. Y'all remember that thread, right? :p

x0x0x0, luv yas!

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

There's no set time. It's case by case.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Nope. ;)

arn

13. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nope. Maybe it got wastelanded before I got a chance to see it.

Ah, so they give you a warning first. I always thought they just pushed the EJECT button and off you went.

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I've never wondered, I've just assumed I've been very close before. I mean I did anger some one enough to create that IHateDorn account which was amusing for it's short little life.

But yeah, I'm kinda surprised I've never had a temp ban, cuz I seldom if ever censor my opinion.

15. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Then consider yourself lucky. I hear some of the admin around here can be real tight-asses.

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Probably pretty close but I don't think I've ever had a mod pm me about anything to my memory, definitely had a fair few posts deleted though.

17. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I got a message to tell me to stop postcount-boosting with silly posts....I was a bit worried...

I was also asked to change my location as it made my posts take up too much space...

18. Queso macrumors G4

Never really thought about it up until now. However, there must have been times when I came close.

My occasional use of obscene language for one.

19. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I don't worry about it. I look "The Man" right in the face and tell him what I think. If he has a problem with it, we can step outside and settle it like men. That'll teach 'em to even think about banning me. :mad:

</tough guy act>

Just kidding. Please don't ban me, arn. Please?

*grovels*

:p

20. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I never got the whole spam whoring thing, I just do ~5 a day steady, never felt the need for more or the need to cut down.

~stares at scary post count~.....

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i've wondered. i think just about everyone does at some point.

22. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just for the record, the number of your posts which have been deleted or edited isn't necessarily an indicator of anything bad. Often, posts are cleaned up as a result of cleaning up other posts.

If your posts are often reported, causing us to clean up after you, then that's not a good thing. It's not always bad, but it's never good.

Having threads Wastelanded is also not necessarily anything bad. It happens all the time.

What gets people into trouble is either acute and severe violations of the rules or a chronic habit of trouble-making. If neither of those applies to you, you'll be fine. :)

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If the number of times I've reported your posts is anything to go by, you're lucky you're not banned for life...

24. Queso macrumors G4

Surely they have you on their junk mail list.

I know I do....

25. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Erm not really. I try to keep myself from swearing too ****ing much. Ooops...:D :p