Have you got a 23" or 30" Apple Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blue Velvet, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Is there any chance that you could tell me what the vertical viewable screen measurement is for either model, in mm preferably? Inches will do but some precision would be helpful...

I can't find this basic info with a couple of mins googling and have to spec some monitors for purchase within the next hour or so.

Thanks
    BV

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have the 23 inch Apple monitor and the viewable portion of the panel is 19.5 inches by 12.25 inches.

edit: That's exact on the measurement in inches, using dashboard I find that is 495.3 mm x 311.15 mm.

3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks. Just trying to decide whether to order 3 x 23"s or 3 x 30"s for page layout. If we get the 30"s, it doesn't leave much money for the other things I'd like to get.

We're all using 22" Lacie Electron Blue CRTs at the mo and I don't want to compromise on vertical screen height.

Got to put my purchasing plan in soon, otherwise we won't be getting anything at all.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Just out of interest, what other things will you need to get on the budget, maybe we can work out how to save elsewheres, leaving more cash for the 30"s?

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

There's need and there's want.

Two G4 processor cards for the Quicksilvers (server and RIP), some 500 or 750gb drives, 4 x Quark 7 upgrades, 4 x Adobe CS3 (budgeted for), more RAM for the 3 x dual 2.5 G5s, assorted software like Suitcase upgrades, 3D packages and font collections... it's all a bit of juggling at the mo. There's more too but I can't bothered typing it all out. :D :eek:

6. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I don't have either but some quick math gives the height of the 23" as 309.62 mm (that precise enough for you :) ) and the height of the 30" as 403.86 mm

just out of curiosity why does the vertical height in mm rather then the vertical height in pixels matter to you?

EDIT: the vertical height of the 30" is 399.82. I didn't realize the 30" only had 29.7" viewable... why is that?

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

oh you know those designers... I'm surprised she didn't ask for picas :p

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If you're considering the 30 in. monitors make sure you factor in the cost of a new video card that will run them. At my old job we got a 30 in. for our 2Ghz G5. The video card was around $800 US if I remember correctly.

9. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I can see why its a tough call. The savings of going from 3 30"s to 3 23"s is not to be sniffed at. Maybe 2 23s and one 30? Although that could lead to designer-envy!!

10. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm talking about your screen height, not your personal attributes. :p

Thanks everybody... 3 x 23" ACDs it is, particularly with the added requirements of the video cards which is something I overlooked completely.

Now to negotiate a charity discount with Apple UK. ;)

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, I got my tape measure out and everything, which was no small feat with the condition of our storage closet. :eek:

Glad you got it sorted. :)