Have you had a DOA MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazydrumma, May 12, 2006.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Now, please reply only if you have bought a Macbook Pro from apple to get it DOA, and have major issues with it, or if you got a perfectly fine one, please reply. I am just curious to see this, to see how many of you guys actually got bad ones...

2. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

3. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

4. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

5. Bunsen Burner macrumors regular

I'm on my third MBP. First unit ended up getting damaged at the Houston repair depot. The replacement unit was DOA, bad Superdrive. It's replacement, the one I'm on now, was also DOA for the same reason. The difference, though, was I opened this one, for various reasons, including fixing the heat problem, and discovered that the Superdrive ribbon cable was not plugged into the mainboard. All is good now (no thanks to Apple).

Early QA problems, I suppose.

BB

6. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Mine was OK (bought through Apple). My coworker's also had a DOA Superdrive (bought from Amazon). His replacement was fine.

7. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Dead On Arrival

8. kansasken macrumors newbie

Mine Is Fine!!

I dont notice any noisy whines or heat issues. In fact, it seems cooler after the latest updates. I got this at the end of February and have been flying on a laptop magic carpet ever since. I love to play the over 100 gigs of music on my G5 wirelessly through the apple express. The only issue is the screen brightness senser is quirky. Touch the mouse and the screen brightens. Small difficulty compared to the majority. Ill keep mine. Kansas Ken.
    Were not in Kansas anymore says Steve Jobs. I cant say that.

9. jkieffer72 macrumors member

My first MBP died before one week was up. Some sort of battery problem. Worked OK on the AC adaptor, but no on battery not at all.

Replacement is going into week two.

Both units have/had the cpu whine.

The first one seems like it got hotter than the second. CPU temp on the second seems to max out around 160 or so.

JK

10. assscat macrumors regular

Latch problems. Didn't close properly. Sent back to Apple for a replacement.

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

12. taco2004 macrumors member

13. Eluon macrumors regular

My MBP 2.0 has a slight whine, burns every other couple cd's, cannot join an airport network out of sleep, the battery is weak and the hard drive just failed.

I called Apple to discuss the first issues and they said my loud whine was "normal operating levels" and if I had a problem with it, to go to the apple store for them to hear and check out. I then kindly asked the tech if he spent 3 grand on a laptop, he said: "No." I then said, "cuz when you spend 3,000 for a laptop, the only noise it needs to be making is: 'Yes, sir!'"

Currently in the Apple Depot here in Houston for repair. Hopefully I'll be getting a new one.

14. iwamas macrumors member

15. jaisai01 macrumors member