Have you had vision correction surgery?

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Mar 7, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

I've had several discussions with people that past couple of weeks about Lasik eye surgery, and I'm actually contemplating having it done. I'd like to get an idea as to how successful this is, and what people think about it (beyond my limited discussions) before moving ahead.

I know there are a couple of different options, and it's important to survey doctors, etc., but I'd be interested in any advice or opinions you may have on the subject.

(I did a search, but there didn't seem to be any real recent threads covering this topic)

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Maybe if you would just keep the booze under a case a day, things would clear up! :p

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I would like to have it done as well, although it would be 5-10 years before I can consider it because of money (I am in college).

My uncle had it done a while ago. I think he said success rate is something like 98% and the last 2% is simply no improvement. But I am just remembering these numbers from a year or two ago so they may be totaly wrong.

4. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Spoken like a true UNC fan! ;)

Actually, I wanted to make this a poll, but didn't have that choice. What gives?

5. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

My wife is going to have this done later on in the year, after she gives birth. I would check with your optometrist to see if they recommend anyone. Also if you can find anyone that has gone through the procedure would certainly be helpful.

Go Illini!!!

UNC Sucks!!

6. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I saw a news story about a new procedure where they put an implant under the cornea that gives perfect vision without the side-effects that sometimes accompany lasik. The story was talking about how it has become the rage in Europe, but hasnt made it to the US yet. The best thing about it is the fact that it is reversible or updateable in case the patients eyes change throught the years.

7. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Tell that to the Duke team that just lost last night....

8. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

So exactly how much improvement are you supposed to get? and who is it geared for?

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i want to get but im not yet old enough my optometrist said that i should wait until my eyes and muscles around the eyes settle, like when im 21 or something then get the surgery.

10. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Go for it

My wife got it done, she now has 20/15 eyesite. She has a problem with dry eyes, but eye plugs (something to do with plugging the tear duct, something like that) will probably help once they put them in. Find the doctor that has done the most lasiks, and that has the highest success ratio.

Nuc

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No...

... and I won't even consider it until the process is 100% safe, with no problems whatsoever. The current problem rate of 1% or so is, to me, WAY too high. If there are problems, they can't go back and do it again... don't mess with your vision. (I've been wearing glasses since I was 7, and they serve me well enough with no threat to my vision.)

12. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

A friend of mine had his eyes lasered.
    His sight was very poor (don't remember the figures right now), now he has 12/10 and 11/10.

He also added the 'nightvision' option. Not that he sees IR now, it's not done by default (by his surgeon) so ask for it.

It was kind of weird seeing him without glasses though ;)

13. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

It's geared for people whose eyesight is fairly stable. Improvement can be dramatic - from 20/400 or worse to practically 20/20 or better in some cases.

14. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I've never heard of this. Any idea as to the specifics?

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

no specifics sorry,
    I'll be sure to ask him for the details and post them here. I'll most probably get in touch with him this week.

16. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've heard the biggest drawback of this type of surgery is its effect on night vision.
    People have described seeing halos around headlights that really bothers their eyes.
    Just passing this on F.Y.I..
    I've heard about another procedure called LADARvision that is suppose give better results than Lasik.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/

There's now an industry that serves to fix people who've had bad laser surgery.

That oughta tell ya something.

18. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

WOW, thats a HUGE improvement, i remember reading once in popular science how some people could have something like 10/20 vision.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would suggest checking out the surgeon. It's best to have it done with someone that has a lot of experience. At this point of my life its something that I wouldn't even consider.

20. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I'm very wary about having this done. I used to have 20/20 when I was a kid, now I have to wear glasses, thanks to countless hours in front of a computer. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely going to wait it out awhile longer. I think the industry is still a bit too young to convince me that it's perfectly safe. Altering your cornea isn't exactly something you can undo (or is it?)

21. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

about the nightvision and stuff (sry for the late post, kinda slipped my mind)

First of, the friend i was talking about had his eyes lasered by this Belgian doctor (site in English).

The nightvision i was referring to actually is about halos. Getting the option lessens the halos you'll see.
    There was also another option where contrast was more improved.
    He went full-option and is very happy with it.

The site should give you all info needed, it has really great explanations.

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm still not comfortable with the idea of it. For now, I'll stick with my contacts.

23. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

I had it done - I am 20/20 now in my dominant eye and slightly worse in the other. I was -3.5 and -2.75 prior to surgery (I don't know how to convert that). I am very glad I had the surgery done - all the hassles with contacts are over. My eyes are slightly drier than before, and I have slight night halos - but the positives far outweigh any negatives. I'd go for it!

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I have a friend who was 20/1000 before the surgery, 20/40 after and stabilized to 20/20 a few months later.

Biggest complaint: halos around lit objects at night.

My father had Lasik done after two cateract removal surgeries and only has to wear a light prescription now - his glasses were like Coke bottles before.

Biggest complaint: halos around lit objects at night.

When asked if they would do it again: Absolutely.

Good luck.