Have you heard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fullquiver, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. fullquiver macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    Nebraska
    #1
    New to this site - hello!
    Fabulous wife is giving me a PB for Christmas. I'm leaning toward 15" - upper model. BUT MacWorld is on the horizon. Are there any rumors of major PB changes; i.e. is it worth it to wait a few weeks, or just as good to buy now? Appreciate any advice!
    Thanks.
     
  2. volfreak macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2002
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN
    #2
    I'd wait

    Welcome. These fora are great!

    No news that I know of on updated PBs, however, it's always wise (IMNSHO) to wait if one is this close to a MW, esp MWSF.

    One never knows. If I had a choice (and I'm using one of the latest PB15s all tricked out), I'd wait.

    Good luck and let us know what you end up getting! :cool:
     
  3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

    timnosenzo

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2004
    Location:
    ct, us
    #3
    Welcome aboard, fullquiver.

    While it's difficult to predict what will happen with the PBooks, with MWSF so close now, I would just wait. This MR guide can be helpful too:

    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

    -Tim
     
  4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #4
    fullquiver, hopefully "crossbow" will be relevant to you. :) welcome.
     
  5. autopilot macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2004
    Location:
    Toronto
    #5
    what what i've been reading, i think the pb's are a long way off, perhaps 6 months or more to delivery. if you can't wait that long for a computer, you should go ahead and buy now. haven't the prices dropped some?

    i personally recommend the ibook if you don't need the specialist options of the pb. great bang for the buck, and not far off the pb for most of the specs. i just got an airport extreme base station as well and i'm loving the wireless experience.

    good luck with whatever you choose.
     
  6. fullquiver thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    Nebraska
    #6
    Thanks!

    Amazing- four great replies - very much appreciated - I will wait until MWSF before deciding. Should have mentioned that two children currently have iBooks and love them. I traded in my old dual G4 450 (17" Studio Display) for this eMac and love this machine. I would follow the advice given about really considering an iBook, but my wife really wants to get me a PB - who am I to argue?? :)
    Again, thanks much for the time and consideration!
     
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

    Chrispy

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Avon, IN
    #7
    I'm glad everyone's advice helped. I agree that if you really need one now I would get one. Even if Apple announces the new PBs at MWSF it will probably take weeks if not months before you can actually get your hands on one. I am having flashbacks to the iPod Mini... No matter what I am sure you will be happy with your decision! Eventually, there will always be an update and you will be sad you do not have the best of the best anyways so don't get too worked up over it. ;)
     
  8. pdp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #8
    what a unique thread. if you need it now, buy it. if you can wait, wait
     
  9. fullquiver thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    Nebraska
    #9
    It's here!

    Just to conclude this tale, 15" PB arrived yesterday; got the Super Drive - not sure why, but what a cool machine - very neat.
    I appreciate the replies that came in. I obviously did decide to wait for MWSF. Nothing especially new for PB there. I will be getting iWork and iLife'05 this next week.
    Thanks again for all the help.
    Best,
    full quiver :)
     
  10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2003
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #10
    Congratulations. Be sure to get iLife '05 through the up-to-date program. You'll save $50 or so.

    http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/
     
  11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #11
    Don't forget to thank the F.W.
    ;)
     
  12. fullquiver thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    Nebraska
    #13
    Steve Jobs is quite the trickster!

    Well then, I wait from Christmas until MWSF to get my PB, after Jobs says nothing about any upgrades. Then, low and behold, just a few days after mine arrives, so do the new PB's. Steve, you little booger.
    Matters not - I love this machine and the PC kids to whom I give private piano lessons are swooning over it. :)
     

Share This Page