Have you installed Boxee?? What do you think of it so far?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by frankiepdx, Oct 3, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland OR
    Have you installed Boxee?

I'm ready to do the install. I'm hesitant when it comes to tampering with the ATV since ATV4Windows was a failure IMO.

List your likes and dislikes.

Thanks guys.
  2. macrumors regular

May 28, 2007
    Like: the idea

Dislike: very buggy atm, interface is almost illegible, very green. aspect ratio is wrong and seem to be unable to change. video playback not great (re: aspect ratio especially). very unfriendly interface in general really.
  3. VoR
    macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2008
    Have you tried xbmc on your atv and/or mac?
    Boxee is a 'social networking' fork of xbmc, basically it's just a different interface.

It's much more of a 'media center' experience I think.
  4. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2008
    Well I did install it, only problem is I can't get further than the login screen since my pointer is not showing. :confused:
    So if there's anyone out there who knows how to fix this problem... let me know! :)

btw: Installation itself was pretty easy and foolproof if you ask me.
  5. macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2007
    Deselect "Use Internal Remote Control" and select "Use Boxee's Univerlsa mode" in Boxee's settings. That worked for me.
  6. macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2008
    I am able to login now! Thanks :)
  7. macrumors member

Jul 30, 2007
    Somewere in Washington State
    Got my invite within 2 days, the install to the ATV went perfect. Tried both Boxee and XBMC for a couple of days. Did the ATV update last night and it removed the 2 programs, what did I do then ?. Nothing I have not reinstalled either program, I thought they were both, Meh, nothing special, I did not really like either interface, although XBMC was slightly better than Boxee. Took a bit to figure out how to do the screen formatting after choosing resolution.

I do think Apple really needs to do a remake of the interface, and replace that stupid remote with a fully functional one, or do a major update to their remote software for the iTouch/iPhone.