have you met any of the MR members?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, Oct 19, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

here's the question: have you met any macrumors members? By met i mean in person, face to face? If so, who, and were they what you expected?? No nastiness please...

As for me, the only person on the boards i know in person is anneleonard, and thats purely because she's my girlfriend (we met long before either of us started posting on here btw) so i guess she doesn't really count.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

no, I haven't and I dont think I'd like to.

Im shy and it would just be really wierd and uncomfortable.

looking at the MR pics thread is wierd enough ;).

scem0

3. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

lol, i'm well up for it! can't wait for the next geekfest london!

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've met a few. ;)

Mr. Anderson
    Backtothemac
    Moxiemike
    Mischief
    Zed
    evoluzione
    Mudbug

As an original planner of the now famed "Geekfest" series of meetings, I plan to meet more. :D

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

rower_cpu
    mc68k
    wintermute
    britboy
    manderhu223
    gelbin
    ber.com
    3rdpath
    teabgs

have seen at the apple store

mr. anderson and whfsdude

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I've only met one, and I know him because I made him sign up, so I guess that does not really count.
    Waiting for geekfest NJ

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

ibookin' definately, since he's my boyfriend.
    I might have seen Doctor Q, i've definately seen pics of him and we don't live that far away from each other, but yeah i really havent personally met him

I've also met Mercury, since he's my boyfriend's friend, and then of course there are a whole bunch of lurkers. Yeah.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm like Keyser Soze; people claim to have seen me but there's no actual proof!

Actually, four members know what I look like, but all are sworn to secrecy. I like being mysterious. In fact, eventually, after I've met all 18,889 MacRumors members personally, I'll still have them all sworn to secrecy.

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Re: have you met any of the MR members?

mrjamin - are you saying that you knew anneleonard before either of you started posting here... and then you both started posting but didn't know the other person was posting, and then found out? if that makes sense...

i've never met any MacRumors people, and i don't know if there's all that many in Brisbane. there's definitely a few in Melbourne and Sydney.

i guess it'd be okay if i met someone at an Apple store or something, but i don't think i'd go out of my way to meet someone.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

this is really kind of cheating...

But I serve on this committee (actually I chair it) that my friend also serves on. I actually met him through the committee.

He had his PB out the other day and that's when I found out he was a Mac person. We started talking about rumor sites, and he mentioned how he liked spymac, I think, because everyone there was so stupid. I mentioned that I liked MacRumors, for reasons that were quite the opposite. Well, he also mentioned that he always used the same handle, so I searched the member database here and discovered that he was actually a member of MR.

It's cheating because I didn't meet him after meeting him on MacRumors. It's also cheating because he's only posted 8 times.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I haven't met anyone from the internet, so I don't know how freaky insane that would be. I just saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night, so perhaps my perception is a bit off...

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've met three...

jelloshotsrule
    rower_cpu
    mc68k

all quite nice and good for gits and shiggles.

i'm sure i'll meet more as the years progress.

13. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i've met shadowfax in person, and that's about it. i should visit scem0 sometime when i'm in Austin.

i could teach you how to drive a car, man...

14. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

There are a few people I would like to meet, notably those in the Pacific Northwest... unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the Portland Apple Store opening... :(

Maybe we should have a Geekfest Northwest. Go to the Krispy Kreme in Portland, grab beers afterwards (when I'm 21, of course). We could go to McMennamin's!

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

been there, done that :D.

Did you take drivers ed at the austin driving school?

scem0

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

well in a roundabout way, billicus, i went to high school with him, didn't know him too well but then i ran into him here :) and i have the feeling that a lot of people i know are reading these boards, i suspect an old friend of mine posts occasionally...

but none that i knew on MR first, then met. living in the middle of iowa kind of isolates you from casually running into people like this...

:)
    pnw

17. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

no, but i took defensive driving for a speeding ticket there... don't you want to learn the finer points of driving from me? :D

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Maybe we should put together a "GeekFest" - GTA

wouldn't mind getting together for a beer with some people from Golden Horse shoe area of Ontario

19. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I could meet some MR users like mc68k and rower_cpu, but I try to keep a low profile as far as these things are concerned. Im pretty wary of meeting people from the internet, though. Being 15 and all, us youngins tend to think of ourselves as adults when we indeed have much growing up to do and usually end up getting bailed out of situations by our parents.

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

is that where we steal a fancy car in our town and drive them all to a designated location that's as far away from all of us as possible? i would so be game for that, if someon else would steal the car for me.

21. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Re: Re: have you met any of the MR members?

i get you - no, we both knew the other was posting on here

22. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I was going to met j763, I was gonna go to melb and all. I hope to go down and see him around xmas time actually but I'll see how that goes.

23. iGav macrumors G3

caveman_uk
    wintermute
    britboy

all are fine examples of english gentlemen.... ;) :)

I'm looking forward to the next Geekfest London on the Saturday of the MaxExpo on November 22, and hoping that we'll see your goodself there mrjamin, as I don't know any other R.E.M. fans, especially the rare kind who's fav album is 'New Adventures In Hi-Fi'.... ;)

Be good to see other Londonites there as well... ;)

If it's an All Blacks Vs England final, then I and most likely others will be meeting up with kiwi_the_iwik in an aussie bar to watch England win.... heheh!!

When I'm stateside next year, I'll be calling in and corrupting the souls and minds of eyelikeart, bttm, mr d, evo, jello, and moxie.... hehheh :D

24. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, not many people from MR are in Melbourne, maybe with the exception of mac15...
    But he's a Syndeyer...

Ah well, there are some Melbournians, but most of them I don't know.

Maybe the guys I know can fly down one day...

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha! yeah, sure you did - and didn't even come over and say hi.....

I'm thinking of going this friday for the panther event, care to try again? :p

I've met

eyelikeart,
    back2themac
    mrsback2themac
    dutchessstreet
    rowercpu
    teabgs
    moxiemike
    evoluzione
    whfsdude

and not seen j-lo at the apple store...

D